Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

On 12/12/2018 at 8:36 AM, mpchicago said:

This brand has traditionally been targeted at urban, college town markets.  I think Knapps Corner is the first suburban location.   I wouldn't be surprised if this complaint came from a patron of Knapps Corner.   But maybe that's a reach :P   With that said, calling them Crack Fries was just fine with me.  

BTW, McDonald's is preparing to launch cheesy bacon fries nationwide in 2019.

Three to four more Hop Cat's on the way....

https://mibiz.com/sections/small-business/with-latest-raise-barfly-targets-7m-in-funding-plans-3-4-new-hopcat-locations

2 hours ago, arcturus said:

Anyone going to the beer fest this weekend at 5th 3rd?  I've got my list :tw_smile:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/state/mi/

I'll be there for the Friday session with a deep crew. Weather is looking great, beer list is on point and all the fun will be had. 

Side note, during the Saturday session is a great time to visit breweries in town, they're all pretty empty and chill; just make sure you're out of there around 5-ish when people start leaving the festival and hitting up the breweries. 

6 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

I'll be there for the Friday session with a deep crew. Weather is looking great, beer list is on point and all the fun will be had. 

Side note, during the Saturday session is a great time to visit breweries in town, they're all pretty empty and chill; just make sure you're out of there around 5-ish when people start leaving the festival and hitting up the breweries. 

I hate to sound like a conservative teetotaler here, because I certainly imbibe like most festival goers, but is there an overall assumption that no one drives themselves to this festival? And to places afterward? Or that each group has a designated driver or uses Uber/Lyft/etc.?? I'd hate to see this great festival tarnished by a tragic drunk driving accident that takes out a family headed to the mall or the movies or something. Not to mention how awful that would be. 

The Saturday festivities begin at 1:00 in the afternoon, and I know some people stay there for almost the entire thing (with just eating pretzels). 

14 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I hate to sound like a conservative teetotaler here, because I certainly imbibe like most festival goers, but is there an overall assumption that no one drives themselves to this festival? And to places afterward? Or that each group has a designated driver or uses Uber/Lyft/etc.?? I'd hate to see this great festival tarnished by a tragic drunk driving accident that takes out a family headed to the mall or the movies or something. Not to mention how awful that would be. 

The Saturday festivities begin at 1:00 in the afternoon, and I know some people stay there for almost the entire thing (with just eating pretzels). 

There's a pretty heavy uber/lyft/shuttle/drop-off/pick-up presence at the festival. There are DD tickets for the festival as well. There's also a pretty serious police presence at all of the exits and entrances, so it always feels pretty regulated. That being said, I'm sure there are plenty of people that think 'oh, the pours are only 3 ounces, I can drive later' the thing those newbs aren't understanding that after 10-15 pours at an average of 9% ABV, you'll be drunk. I've always wanted the festival to be somewhere within walking/public transit to downtown but there's not many spaces that can accommodate 6,000 people, tents, bathrooms, food trucks, etc ...

37 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

There's a pretty heavy uber/lyft/shuttle/drop-off/pick-up presence at the festival. There are DD tickets for the festival as well. There's also a pretty serious police presence at all of the exits and entrances, so it always feels pretty regulated. That being said, I'm sure there are plenty of people that think 'oh, the pours are only 3 ounces, I can drive later' the thing those newbs aren't understanding that after 10-15 pours at an average of 9% ABV, you'll be drunk. I've always wanted the festival to be somewhere within walking/public transit to downtown but there's not many spaces that can accommodate 6,000 people, tents, bathrooms, food trucks, etc ...

Probably a stupid question, but how many people can reasonably fit in Calder Plaza?

37 minutes ago, mielsonwheels said:

Probably a stupid question, but how many people can reasonably fit in Calder Plaza?

I have no idea but thinking about the size of the space for beer fest (the entire north parking lot at the ballpark) it might be tight on Calder plaza. Also, I'm sure the city has a lot more hoops to jump through than the ball park does. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2019 at 8:53 PM, Floyd_Z said:

What a huge disappointment and missed opportunity.   That would have looked great there.  What difference does two stories make?  The PC and some people here in GR have such a 'small town' mindset.

I can't say what or who, but I heard the latest on this spot today.  Should be a great addition to the corner if it all ends up happening. 

• Like 1

Breweries agree to merge (Saugatuk & Big Dogg)

Brewery closing doors (Hideout Brewing)

I predicted a brewery closing in my 2019 predictions, but not the Hideout. I forget that its there and probably why its closing.  I know nationally, beer is taking a backseat from the legalization of recreational use of marijuana and spirit sales are rapidly increasing.

Time to move into the distillery business!

• Like 1

On 8/11/2018 at 7:47 AM, GRDadof3 said:

Here we go, the property next to Wealthy Street Bakery is seeing some potential movement. Request to tear down the house and build a one-story retail development here. Did the HPC give permission previously to demolish the house?  Terra Firma is working on this project. 

https://goo.gl/maps/p1Ynfcb48B32

1414015463_616wealthyrendering.JPG.5dd65ce90d51848c9777e91d865a1c73.JPG

264950297_616-620wealthyrendering2.JPG.9be88c64617a9f80e4fb367ba62bf9ce.JPG

614869370_616-620wealthyrendering3.JPG.56eb9e604e9d7c587608ca8d026ab776.JPG

1119591805_616Wealthysiteplan.thumb.JPG.324c6248a2a517bbc90dd5b85dbdbe6a.JPG

Fence is up for this project, I saw yesterday. 

• Like 2

On 3/8/2019 at 6:38 PM, GR_Urbanist said:

The house next to the Wealthy Street Bakery looks like it will be down soon. Big fence and excavator are all set up.

The house came down yesterday (Monday) while I was at work.  Was nothing left except a big pile of rubbish, wish I could have watched the carnage. :)  Excited for this project and cant wait to see how it looks soon.   Wonder if they have an estimated finish date yet?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, terra firma said:

Less than 5 hours, the whole building was gone...    We're gonna roll straight into site work, and ideally, we will be ready to start doing Tenant buildouts beginning in June.   Took us forever to get all the approvals, but all is well and here we go--- thanks for the interest.

That's great! I can't remember - have we heard who the tenants will be? Or any idea when we might know? 

2 hours ago, AyersRock said:

Heard over the weekend that Jonny B'z will be getting some renovations this Summer.  Sounded like the plans include new arrangement of seating with more booths inside and additional seating outside plus space for summer yard games where the current parking lot is :)  

I know our patio season is short, but I do love having a good amount of options for outdoor dining once the weather gets nice. Between Jonny B'z, Hancock, and Donkey, Wealthy street will have a lot of great options this summer.

• Like 1