Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

I wonder if this is part of a bigger strategy of expanding Hop Cat or even possibly selling it to another group.  At one point in time, I had heard that they were growing Hop Cat with the plan of selling the franchise.  Then they would focus on franchising Stella's.  

By the way, the Hop Cat at Knapp's Corner is still crazy busy.  The last 3 times we have tried to eat there (midweek evenings), the wait was too long (45-60 minutes for a table) and we have gone to other restaurants instead.  They fill up their entire parking lot and then half of the old Chili's parking lot.   The Hop Cat name brand is very strong in West Michigan.

4 minutes ago, Sparty97 said:

I wonder if this is part of a bigger strategy of expanding Hop Cat or even possibly selling it to another group.  At one point in time, I had heard that they were growing Hop Cat with the plan of selling the franchise.  Then they would focus on franchising Stella's.  

By the way, the Hop Cat at Knapp's Corner is still crazy busy.  The last 3 times we have tried to eat there (midweek evenings), the wait was too long (45-60 minutes for a table) and we have gone to other restaurants instead.  They fill up their entire parking lot and then half of the old Chili's parking lot.   The Hop Cat name brand is very strong in West Michigan.

Not sure if they have plans to sell or partner with more investors, or even franchise, but here is  a  snippet from a 2016 MiBiz article:

BarFly Ventures secured $25 million in mezzanine debt financing from two Texas funds, Congruent Investment Partners and Main Street Capital Corporation.    This money was/is being used to fund the expansion of the HopCat brand at a pace of 3 to 4  locations a year. 

https://mibiz.com/item/24129-

• Like 1

I think if the company made a decision that they feel fits with their ideals and will ultimately be good for business, then good for them. I would be a little disappointed if this stemmed from complaints and they reluctantly changed the name, but I don't know how the decision was made. In the end if all this publicity ends up shining a bigger spot light on the nation's issues with drug addiction, maybe it'll be a good thing.

46 minutes ago, jonrapley said:

Leave Stella's alone!!! 

I do love Stella's stuffed burgers ( the Queso Jalapeno burger is the best burger on the planet..).   I wouldn't complain if there was another location not in downtown GR.   Not sure if the style fits the burbs but maybe someplace like East Town or East Grand Rapids, etc.

Edited by Sparty97

1 hour ago, Pattmost20 said:

I think if the company made a decision that they feel fits with their ideals and will ultimately be good for business, then good for them. I would be a little disappointed if this stemmed from complaints and they reluctantly changed the name, but I don't know how the decision was made. In the end if all this publicity ends up shining a bigger spot light on the nation's issues with drug addiction, maybe it'll be a good thing.

After 11 yrs, my guess is complaints

37 minutes ago, ctpgr34 said:

After 11 yrs, my guess is complaints

Granted, it was different, but Beaner's changed their name to Biggby. I don't recall them getting significant complaints prior to the name change.  Their focus was on franchise expansion and that was going to create issues as they expanded. I  agree, they probably got some small complaints and figured, its a good time to change it as we grow the brand.

I bet it was the Holland location! :) I heard that at the Holland location, they'll just call them "fries". The city pushed for "Dutch Fries", but was against both "Crack" AND  "French" fries. :) :)

As far as Stellas, does that mean Chronic fries are going to get a name change too? Or only if they franchise? And then, only outside of Michigan, in State's where weed isn't legal? I heard Chronic fries were a gateway to Crack fries, though I find myself eating them interchangeably. :)

Joe

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

I bet it was the Holland location! :) I heard that at the Holland location, they'll just call them "fries". The city pushed for "Dutch Fries", but was against both "Crack" AND  "French" fries. :) :)

As far as Stellas, does that mean Chronic fries are going to get a name change too? Or only if they franchise? And then, only outside of Michigan, in State's where weed isn't legal? I heard Chronic fries were a gateway to Crack fries, though I find myself eating them interchangeably. :)

Joe

:rofl::alc::rofl:

I think the name change is a little too over-PC of a move.  I always thought the crack fries were a little overrated.  I also think a lot of the appeal was the name itself.  I have had quite a few experiences when I mention hopcat the and person will just interrupt me with, "CRACK FRIES" or if they haven't been, they want to go to there just to try them.  I mean yeah, they're good, but hardly as good as crack.

13 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

I think the name change is a little too over-PC of a move.  I always thought the crack fries were a little overrated.  I also think a lot of the appeal was the name itself.  I have had quite a few experiences when I mention hopcat the and person will just interrupt me with, "CRACK FRIES" or if they haven't been, they want to go to there just to try them.  I mean yeah, they're good, but hardly as good as crack.

I don't personally see any problem with being "over-PC" in the first place. If you want to change your own language to try to offend fewer people, that's your prerogative. 

• Like 4

It's not like "Crack Fries" was all that original of a name to begin with.  People were calling fries and all other food they couldn't stop eating "crack" before HopCat opened.  People are starting to move away from the term, so HopCat is moving with them.  I don't think they would make the change if they didn't feel the name would be a liability going forward.

People who are reacting negatively to the change are acting as though HopCat is obligated to hold ownership of the name, but I don't see why they should as they didn't popularize the term "crack" in reference to food in the first place.   FWIW I do think the fries are as good as hyped, but I never thought the name was particularly iconic.

But if you want to be cynical, they sure are getting press out of it. 

Edited by RegalTDP

HPIM3276.thumb.JPG.2843451d1a038f7b17970146fc5daaf6.JPG

Saw this bright loud sign today on 28th Street just east of Madison.  Don't know anything about this new liquor store but just thought this photo belonged here.

On 11/29/2018 at 9:26 AM, GRDadof3 said:

Psssh, my parents couldn't afford boujee Bill Knapps! :)

HISTORIC NOTE: the building which I wasn't clever enough to include in the photo, while severely remodeled since it was new, was originally a BILL KNAPPS  restaurant (one of several that GRDadof3's parents never took him to.)   

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Didn't know where to put this but it looks like Guy Bazzani is retiring and putting his share of the business up for sale:

https://www.smallbusinessdeal.com/business-listing/bazzani-building-owner-selling-majority-stake-962/?inf_contact_key=781c3bc5040c4f0dee5a8b3176dd70b0a9df78ff54ebb9ad26ff85899114221d