Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

On 9/25/2018 at 9:31 AM, EastownLeo said:

A friend on mine ran into the new owners at lunch at the Winchester the other day.  So it looks like it has been sold.  They did not have any specific plans yet so I think it will sit for a while.

You mean the old Kregel building?

https://mibiz.com/item/25094-616-development-turns-to-mixed-income-housing-to-move-delayed-projects-forward

616 Development kind of Imploded.  I have not heard much,  It has gone through a few different owners and has some barriers based on city requirements.

On 12/20/2018 at 9:26 PM, TheLonesomeHobo said:

Paul Lee has purchased Johnny B’z, sounds like they’ve cleaned house as far as management goes. No other word on any major changes going on. With The Hancock opening soon the Lee’s have a solid stranglehold on the Wealthy st restaurant scene.

Wow! That will be 4 on Wealthy. He seems to have his ships down to a science. 

• Like 1

The Wealthy Market is getting a liquor license again, but, was given requirements before they could be approved. (Increased outdoor lighting, a fenced in / locked dumpster enclosure, and the removal of the old street side sign). Besides the dumpster enclosure they’ve already completed all of this, and also remodeled the entire shelving behind the counter. They should be selling liquor again by next week.

7 hours ago, TheLonesomeHobo said:

The Wealthy Market is getting a liquor license again, but, was given requirements before they could be approved. (Increased outdoor lighting, a fenced in / locked dumpster enclosure, and the removal of the old street side sign). Besides the dumpster enclosure they’ve already completed all of this, and also remodeled the entire shelving behind the counter. They should be selling liquor again by next week.

How long has it been since they sold liquor?

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, uncus said:

My dog thought the “lawn” was interesting too.

It does look nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently what was installed (fence and astro-turf) are different from what was approved. HPC has it on their agenda for a site review. 

14 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

It seems like a lot of outdoor space for a state where it's only nice enough to sit outside 1/4 of the year

Not to change the topic of the thread but I have had this discussion with a lot of people. I wish buiness in GR put more emphasis on outdoor seating. I feel like a lot of patios in GR are very basic.  Look how well Outside Coffee Co has done with their unique setting, and thanks to those domes it can be enjoyed year round!

• Like 3

On 1/11/2019 at 9:50 AM, GRDadof3 said:

Apparently what was installed (fence and astro-turf) are different from what was approved. HPC has it on their agenda for a site review. 

Looks like their  original fence design was a bit more modern ( more narrow horizontal fence pickets),  while what ended up putting up more closely matches what was there on historical pictures.

below  is a pic from the packet 

In other related news, looks like Paul Lee and co are looking at a demo permit for house directly behind (north) of Donkey.  Wonder what they have planned . . . .

gas station.png

Looking at the current structure behind Donkey, I cant believe the HPC would give them the green light just to have them expand the vegetable garden they have on the property. And the building itself looks like something the HPC would go to war to save, despite that it likely is in pretty bad shape (?) inside.

So it's likely going to be a new, almost identical structure they are proposing.

Edited by GR_Urbanist

22 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

It seems like a lot of outdoor space for a state where it's only nice enough to sit outside 1/4 of the year

Well I think saying 1/4 of the year is a bit of a stretch.  Restaurants can typically keep the outside portions open May - mid October really.   Even with temps in the 50s those outdoor lantern things help quite a bit.  :)

• Like 1

On 1/13/2019 at 9:41 AM, GRDadof3 said:

I don't believe they were allowed to build out to the street because of historic district guidelines. @x99 would know for sure. 

Probably.  The real irony is that if this actually were 1890, or even 1920, they would have bulldozed this thing in an instant when it was no longer useful, and put a decent building in the proper spot.  Save the best gas stations, bulldoze the rest of them.  Unfortunately, HPC's hands are probably tied.

16 hours ago, MJLO said:

Well I think saying 1/4 of the year is a bit of a stretch.  Restaurants can typically keep the outside portions open May - mid October really.   Even with temps in the 50s those outdoor lantern things help quite a bit.  :)

I totally agree that the outdoor/patio season is more along the April/May - October/November timeline. I do wish there were more activated outdoor spaces during the cooler months. I feel like when travelling abroad, you see more outdoor cafes, parks, etc ... being used in the cooler months. 

On 1/13/2019 at 6:22 PM, MJLO said:

Yeah that may have been a little of a stretch I was factoring in random cold/rainy days too.  I personally would prefer to sit outside most of the time.  It's a nice, busy intersection with lots of people watching to do.

I haven't been to Outside Coffee, but those igloos are cool and look nice and cozy.  People are in them year-round.  Do they have heaters in them?

Hancock’s opening is being (slightly) delayed. Not because of HPC issues but because Paul Lee didn’t realize how bad of shape Johnny B’z was in prior to acquiring the property. Hancock is slated for a hopefully April opening, on that note Johnny B’z is once again open until 3 AM Thursday - Saturday.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I hope they let him go for it, as long as the design is something really cool and eye-catching. I personally couldn't care less if it is "historical" or not. The site once hosted a gas station, and the last thing Wealthy street needs are more renovated gas stations or stuff that pays homage to them. The site is an eyesore right now, and no one is moving any dirt there, so just give this guy a shot. Done right, it will be, I think, the only such building in the area. An instant landmark.

Certainly better than some squat one-story building or the current trashy empty lot.. Not to mention that it will be far cheaper to construct, and hopefully wont need some tax credit.

• Like 1