Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

21 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

No we don't. That is just flat out wrong no matter how you measure it. That would either mean that we have around 40 breweries in the city limits (we don't) or that we have just shy of 200 breweries in the metro area (once again, we don't). The only thing I can think they did was take breweries in the metro area and divide by people in the city proper. Experience GR lists 42 breweries on their Ale Trail, that factored into GR's city population would get you to approximately the 19 figure quoted here. 

You're right, that doesn't make sense. 

I did see on DrinkGR's FB page that the old motel in downtown Byron Center has been turned into a brewery called Ale Bird. They did a nice job with the renovation!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DrinkGR/permalink/1508862592577746/

On 5/9/2019 at 8:56 AM, walker said:

This still looks suspiciously like the shipping container plan to me:

1867802158_shippingcontainerwealthystreet.thumb.png.f6423da68d8ea26b3a796b9d69541c8e.png 

I think that design element may be made to look like shipping container/industrial, but I don't think it's a shipping container (turned on its head). 

On 3/9/2019 at 9:19 AM, GRDadof3 said:

Fence is up for this project, I saw yesterday. 

This project is pretty far along already, I noticed the other day. Anyone get any recent pics? 

On 5/9/2019 at 8:41 AM, GRDadof3 said:

I pulled those out of the HPC packet. :) 

There was also this new plan for 706 Wealthy. Not sure how much has changed? 

image.thumb.png.f3abcaf59760d9f5ba6c0960839c9c3d.png

Construction starts in July for 706 Wealthy

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2019/05/retail-apartment-project-approved-for-former-wild-bunch-property-in-grand-rapids.html

On 5/17/2019 at 8:07 PM, All-InHospitalityGroup said:

Cynthia, I appreciate the direction of your post, but would it be too much to ask around a little more to get the facts of why we made the service change? I'll tell you, straight from the horse's mouth, we made the change to full service because counter service simply wasn't working here. 

Our menu is a little more complex than simply walking into a Five Guys, Panera Bread, or KFC. We offer a handful of side dishes along with champagne (bubbles), slushy drinks, and NA beverages. To bad, so sad...we don't offer or have ever offered Merlot (insert Paul Giamatti comment on Merlot). The prices currently listed have never reflected an up-charge to going with a tip free model (although this was planned in time), so making the change to full service and not adjusting the prices or also changing wages was in no way a money grab; nonetheless, you may see some prices adjust down in the near future as we look at product mixes of what's moving and adjust inventory and labor accordingly. 

If you've been to the restaurant, you may have experienced anxiety in the ordering process. There's a lot of information that can't fit on a menu board so there's lots of Q&A at the counter. If there are people queued up behind you it creates a very anxious ordering experience; you're either rushed into ordering something or it becomes an experience so uncomfortable you may not back. There's a handful of local counter service businesses that I curse going into because the experience at the counter is just so uncomfortable...and then I'm expected to leave a tip on top of that. In an effort to create a business where to solve one problem, we invariably created a different one. 

Another driver to this change was people still felt like they needed to leave tips. Despite placards that stated we were a No-TIP establishment, and the lack of tip line on the CC slip, many guests felt obligated to leave a tip. Choosing to accept these tips and splitting them amongst staff opened us up to potential legal issues in terms of who should receive these tips and how we should accurately account for the cash. Do you share it with the kitchen, dishwasher, busser, server, etc? For the few weeks we accepted these tips, we donated it all to the Next Steps organization, which provides job training and employment for re-entry citizens. 

Lastly, the main driver to making the change to full service was looking at how most people  interacted with the restaurant space. Despite a tiled sign that prominently  pointed people to the counter, most walked into the restaurant dining room in search of a seat. Once seated, they walked to the counter to order. If you're in line and already feeling anxious about the ordering process, trying to find a seat just compounded that anxiety. 

As a restaurant operator, my wife and I have a vision of what the business is going to be but sometimes it doesn't work out that way. Rather than trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, we made the prudent decision to change now, even just one month into a new business, vs trying to plod along for 6 months and hope for a different outcome. We know we'll never be all things to all people, but hopefully we check enough boxes that you'll come back. If you're not wanting full service, we plan to  offer counter service outside. One half of the patio is dedicated to walk up service at the kitchen window and outdoor bar (our vintage truck is currently in the shop being outfitted and is scheduled to be completed June 1). Our patio furniture should hopefully be delivered this weekend or Monday of next week. 

In 10 years of being the restaurant owner / operator in our rehabbed historic buildings in the neighborhood, I assure you it's never been a money grab. We've always aimed to be a positive influence in the neighborhood and community at large because we live here and have to show our faces. We've tried to accommodate all the asks from community organizations, like being the title sponsor for the upcoming East Hills concerts at Cherry Park this summer, as well as continuing to give generously to organizations like Student Advancement Foundation (the fundraising partner for Grand Rapids Public Schools) and Friends of Grand Rapids Parks. We hope to be the gold standard for how a restaurant should operate within the community. 

I understand this is a forum for people to share their opinions or "insider" information, but please feel free to just ask me directly if you have any questions on what we do. 

Paul 

All In Hospitality Group (The Winchester, Donkey, What the Truck, Jonny B'z, Hancock)

Hi Paul,

Not sure who Cynthia is (lol) but I assume thats me...  I love your response and thank you for adding context.  Exactly what I was hoping for when I posted the initial note after hearing from someone I considered to be "from the horses mouth" since he/she was an employee there.  Not sure if you just didnt share all of this reasoning with the entire team there, or if perhaps that individual had a personal opinion and only shared the info they wanted to with me.  Either way, your explanation makes perfect sense and I hope ALL of your employees are informed of all these reasons as well because it is very insightful :) From what I heard, the change caught some of them off guard and wasn't well received by some of the team. (again, this could just be party of one for all I know).  I apologize for some of my word choice and inaccuracy, but just had a skewed opinion based on what I was told.  Thank you for putting the truth out there and I will certainly be back to give Hancock another try with full service.  Thank you for all you continue to do for the neighborhood.

P.S... I tried the Jalapeno Butter Corn Bread yesterday and it was AMAZING

-AyersRock

Edited by AyersRock
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, AyersRock said:

Hi Paul,

Not sure who Cynthia is (lol) but I assume thats me...  I love your response and thank you for adding context.  Exactly what I was hoping for when I posted the initial note after hearing from someone I considered to be "from the horses mouth" since he/she was an employee there.  Not sure if you just didnt share all of this reasoning with the entire team there, or if perhaps that individual had a personal opinion and only shared the info they wanted to with me.  Either way, your explanation makes perfect sense and I hope ALL of your employees are informed of all these reasons as well because it is very insightful :) From what I heard, the change caught some of them off guard and wasn't well received by some of the team. (again, this could just be party of one for all I know).  I apologize for some of my word choice and inaccuracy, but just had a skewed opinion based on what I was told.  Thank you for putting the truth out there and I will certainly be back to give Hancock another try with full service.  Thank you for all you continue to do for the neighborhood.

P.S... I tried the Jalapeno Butter Corn Bread yesterday and it was AMAZING

-AyersRock

I think he thinks you're Cynthia Ayers, current Executive Director of East Hills Council of Neighbors.  A simple google search would have cleared that up. ;) 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AyersRock said:

Ah that would make sense!  Nope, just an Aussie here, not a Cynthia :) 

Ayers Rock Australia                                                                                                           

uluru.jpg.eef61a0f32558230093093d0a2380023.jpg

Edited by walker
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would not normally post about an event, but this one sounds cool, as it will take place on the 6th Street Bridge.  City Built Brewing and Farmhaus Cider will be hosting an event on the bridge June 8th.  Bridge Blast will include free family activities, and after 3 will include ticketed live music event.   Sounds like an awesome spot for a party!  

https://citybuiltbrewing.com/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

This is kind of a cool project being proposed on Henry Avenue just a block off of Wealthy. It's on the HPC agenda for June. Metric Structures again. Anyone know who's involved in that? 

I agree, this is a VERY cool project.  InnovaLab has some similar floor plans and elevations in our modular plan book.  One is a 4 unit 2 bed apartment development that is being installed in Muskegon and we are now working on refiguring it to install 4-6 more of these units in a historic district south of Flint.  Our layout in Flint is very similar to this one.

I am going to follow this closely to see how the HPC reacts to the proposal.  I have a thought as to how they will react, hope they surprise me...

• Like 4

Would this require knocking down a house? My parents used to live 2-3 doors north of the proposed development and I can't think of a vacant lot (plus it looks like there's a house in google maps).  I like the look, but can't imagine they'd let them knock down an existing house in Cherry Hill to make this work. 

@ModSquad, would love to see some renderings of these houses and curious on the price point. 

Joe

Would this require knocking down a house? My parents used to live 2-3 doors north of the proposed development and I can't think of a vacant lot (plus it looks like there's a house in google maps).  I like the look, but can't imagine they'd let them knock down an existing house in Cherry Hill to make this work. 
[mention=4155]ModSquad[/mention], would love to see some renderings of these houses and curious on the price point. 
Joe

This parcel is on the route for one of my evening walks. There is a house there that would need to be knocked down. It's all boarded up and looks terrible. It's been empty for a while, I would guess. There are Metric Structures signs in the yard.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

@ModSquad, would love to see some renderings of these houses and curious on the price point. 

Joe

There are pictures in the packet of the existing home there. It will be interesting to see if the HPC let's it be torn down. It's essentially one house on a double lot.  Interestingly the shape of the existing home looks a lot like the new one. Wonder if they're just going to renovate it? 

http://grandrapidscitymi.iqm2.com/Citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=1&ID=3920&Inline=True

image.thumb.png.2d1373579954507a1e10e7d18f129843.png

• Like 1

On 6/1/2019 at 7:26 PM, joeDowntown said:

Joe

The HPC has already approved demo of the home, so I would imagine at this point it's just a matter if they approve of the design.  They want to begin construction of these townhome & apartment units this summer.  

https://mibiz.com/sections/real-estate-development/metric-structures-proposes-10-unit-multifamily-development-off-wealthy-street

Edited by mpchicago

On 6/1/2019 at 8:26 PM, joeDowntown said:

Joe

Joe,

Right now all we have is very technical black and white drawings. Our architect is working on the “pretty pictures” to present to the historic commission up there. When I get them done I’ll post them.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2019 at 8:52 AM, GRDadof3 said:

There are pictures in the packet of the existing home there. It will be interesting to see if the HPC let's it be torn down. It's essentially one house on a double lot.  Interestingly the shape of the existing home looks a lot like the new one. Wonder if they're just going to renovate it? 

http://grandrapidscitymi.iqm2.com/Citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=1&ID=3920&Inline=True

image.thumb.png.2d1373579954507a1e10e7d18f129843.png

Hey Jeff - this is our project. My wife and I purchased the properties a couple years ago from the previous owner, once the demo by neglect process started with the City of Grand Rapids. 

As far as I know, the house has been vacant since at least 2007, the first time I walked through the house when it was listed for sale. The condition was pretty bad then, but in that time frame, 10+ years, 2 different home owners had stripped the house down to the studs in much of the house.

This was unfortunate because there were a lot of nice interior details removed from the house, but at the same time they exposed just how compromised the house had become over the years of being neglected. 

In January of this year, HPC did approve the demolition of the house; we’re hopeful that they’ll now support the redevelopment of these two lots on Wednesday. 

Metric Structures is the general contractor for this project and Integrated is the architect. We’re pretty excited for the project and feel it’ll be a great addition to the neighborhood. 

Paul Lee

Edited by All-InHospitalityGroup
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, All-InHospitalityGroup said:

Hey Jeff - this is our project. My wife and I purchased the properties a couple years ago from the previous owner, once the demo by neglect process started with the City of Grand Rapids. 

As far as I know, the house has been vacant since at least 2007, the first time I walked through the house when it was listed for sale. The condition was pretty bad then, but in that time frame, 10+ years, 2 different home owners had stripped the house down to the studs in much of the house.

This was unfortunate because there were a lot of nice interior details removed from the house, but at the same time they exposed just how compromised the house had become over the years of being neglected. 

In January of this year, HPC did approve the demolition of the house; we’re hopeful that they’ll now support the redevelopment of these two lots on Wednesday. 

Metric Structures is the general contractor for this project and Integrated is the architect. We’re pretty excited for the project and feel it’ll be a great addition to the neighborhood. 

Paul Lee

Thanks for the intel Paul. I hope it works out, pretty cool design. 

• Like 1

Grand Rapids. Beer. Repeat.

http://www.chicagonow.com/kraft-brews-chicago/2019/06/is-grand-rapids-really-beer-city-usa-kraft-brews-investigates/

I wonder how many Chicago-ites will bring up that Grand Rapids is only 200,000 people?  :P  Interesting that they went to East-West Brewing. Is that place any good? 

I would have recommended Creston, Mitten and Perrin as well. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Grand Rapids. Beer. Repeat.

http://www.chicagonow.com/kraft-brews-chicago/2019/06/is-grand-rapids-really-beer-city-usa-kraft-brews-investigates/

I wonder how many Chicago-ites will bring up that Grand Rapids is only 200,000 people?  :P  Interesting that they went to East-West Brewing. Is that place any good? 

I would have recommended Creston, Mitten and Perrin as well. 

I think its closed. Or Bombay but one of the two has a space available sign.