Greenville Summit

mallguy

Wow - I wasn't expecting this. Decent height and I think the design compliments the existing building fairly well. The blank wall is a shame, but the reality of a zero lot line.

https://www.greenvillesc.gov/DocumentCenter/View/23336/23-320-PUBLIC-POSTING-201-W-Washington-St

This little corner of downtown has a ton of unused potential. Hopefully this gets built and the adjacent lot can be redeveloped too, so we don't have to look at the featureless wall forever.

I'd also like to see something more ambitious done with the greenlink garage with some street level interest added to Richardson and Laurens streets. The east side of Laurens Street has some gorgeous facades but the west side currently looks like a dungeon. I always thought that area could be a natural extension of the N Laurens pedestrian corridor. Join that with First Pres, Grace, and the historic architecutre of the Summit, calm Richardson St. a little, and I think you would have a very attractive urban space to lure pedestrians off Main St. 

Edited by rabbit seisin
  • Like 1

Not bad. The design could use some tweaking but it’s definitely good infill. The blank wall might be on purpose due to another building being planned next door in the future. And hopefully it means another tower crane to add to the list of a good many planned for the skyline. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, NewlyUpstate said:

Hope they do something temporarily with the blank wall, such as a mural... or honestly even some sort of tasteful advertising billboard could even work. Overall looks like a great improvement.

Agreed. Given how visible that blank wall is, it could be better.  I'd suggest, instead of doing an addition that doesn't match the rest of the building, do an addition in exactly the same style, complete with the brickwork and ornamentation around the top, and maybe do an interesting design in brick instead of the blank wall.  But it's certainly more attractive than the rear of the Hotel Greenville has ever been.

Nice to see the exterior of the Summit fixed up; it's been derelict for decades. I assume that this means that the rest of the building will also be fixed up inside. 

Will these be market-rate apartments (or built to be market-rate at some point)?  

"First Presbyterian Church of God" on the building diagram cracked me up.

The owner of this building should be commended: after decades of being either totally derelict or only moderately derelict, this building, which has always intrigued me, is finally, for once, being improved into something that's not an eyesore.  

Edited by PuppiesandKittens

Well just my .02. I think the project is fine overall but I really do not like that look of that wall. Not only will it look totally out of place for the rest of the building (and the Summit itself) but just doesn't look very nice to begin with.  I wonder if there are some other plans for down the road, it just doesn't fit.

As for the Summit, I have never thought of it as an eyesore. Its an older building, without much ornamentation, but it looks fine overall; and WAAYYY better than the cinder block across the street. Now THAT is an eyesore.

image.thumb.png.f6f44f830d2fd1e05c8ef35bc723e755.png

16 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

Well just my .02. I think the project is fine overall but I really do not like that look of that wall. Not only will it look totally out of place for the rest of the building (and the Summit itself) but just doesn't look very nice to begin with.  I wonder if there are some other plans for down the road, it just doesn't fit.

As for the Summit, I have never thought of it as an eyesore. Its an older building, without much ornamentation, but it looks fine overall; and WAAYYY better than the cinder block across the street. Now THAT is an eyesore.

image.thumb.png.f6f44f830d2fd1e05c8ef35bc723e755.png

The new addition looks like a parking garage.

The two-story brick buildings currently behind the Summit (and are still there in the photo, next to the addition) have zero architectural interest to me and likely little commercial interest.  I'm guessing that they will be bought, knocked down and replaced by a further expansion of the Summit.

I also wonder if the new apartments in the Summit will, either now or in the future, be sold as condos or higher-end apartments.  I don't see how the economics would work for a private developer to build new affordable housing on a prime site downtown.  

My sixth sense tells me that the whole Summit building will be significantly upgraded to be higher-end housing within about 10 years, once the current tax credits expire. I may be totally wrong, and I have no basis other than intuition to say that, though.

(I called the Summit and "eyesore" just because, at least since the 1970s, it's been really run-down; the exterior now is probably the nicest that it's been in that time period.  I find the building's exterior to be reasonably attractive, and when I did a walk-through of part of the ground floor before it was renovated, while the interior was in bad shape, it had some nice elements to it on the ground floor.)

Edited by PuppiesandKittens
  • Like 1

When you build up to a shared property line their are limits having windows on that wall.  What if the adjacent property also wants to build and attach their building to this building?  For that reason an easement would need to be granted by the adjacent property owner for their to be windows on that wall.

If approved by DRB today: 

July 2023-Preliminary approval for housing tax credit

November 2023-Final approval for housing tax credit

September 2024-Construction start if we’re lucky 

December 2025-Construction complete

Edited by gman430