Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

I can see where making homes out of shipping containers might make some sense in certain situations like in a war zone where empty ones pile up because war supplies travel to the area and little returns and people would otherwise be living in squalor.  The ones I’ve seen in the U.S. cost about the same or more than more conventional housing after they are converted up to code, and first world aesthetics, and after utilities and appliances are installed.  Only my opinion of course but I think it’s the novelty of the containers right now and the girls in shorts and summer dresses walking by on a sunny day that makes the shipping container bar in Austin seem cool but I suspect as time goes by it will begin to remind people of a rusty storage area in a rail freight yard.

So, I’ve cherry picked an article to support my opinion:

pros and cons of shipping container architecture (mostly cons)

rusty storage area in a rail freight yard:

1613812725_shippingcontainersrustyfreightyard.jpg.664408e55dc4c398e4bc2c1438a57634.jpg

Edited by walker
  • Like 1

I guess it all depends on the quality of the developer, the quality of the container, the quality of materials and workmanship, and whether or not your local city site inspector is something other than a racoon with a clipboard tied to its back.

I cant imagine (I hope) that the developer is thinking about using a container like Lee & Birch uses on occasion, but instead are eying huge virgin containers that would have been used on a trans-Pacific cargo ship. Ones that will be tastefully arranged and well-protected from the elements.

Aether-at-PROXY-1.jpg

Edited by GR_Urbanist
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I guess it all depends on the quality of the developer, the quality of the container, the quality of materials and workmanship, and whether or not your local city site inspector is something other than a racoon with a clipboard tied to its back.

I cant imagine (I hope) that the developer is thinking about using a container like Lee & Birch uses on occasion, but instead are eying huge virgin containers that would have been used on a trans-Pacific cargo ship. Ones that will be tastefully arranged and well-protected from the elements.

Aether-at-PROXY-1.jpg

That stack looks cool, but I feel like the ones that still have all of the hardware and hinges on them are a novelty that will look dumb in a few years. Once everyone has done them they'll lose their cool ness factor. I vote "no" at this corner but anywhere else in the city I say give it a try. 

I was talking to a local engineer working on a container project and he says for residential at least they start with brand new containers constructed for that use. He stated the used overseas containers have wood interiors treated with fungicides? (to kill any bugs coming from overseas) that makes them unsuitable for residences.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Raildude's dad said:

I was talking to a local engineer working on a container project and he says for residential at least they start with brand new containers constructed for that use. He stated the used overseas containers have wood interiors treated with fungicides? (to kill any bugs coming from overseas) that makes them unsuitable for residences.

That sort of takes the "environmental friendliness" angle out of the whole thing, if it's all new containers. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

That sort of takes the "environmental friendliness" angle out of the whole thing, if it's all new containers. 

It doesn’t have to be all new containers.  Thanks to a comment on Mlive, I found this alternative hybrid design that would be much more environmentally friendly and that would likely fit on the Wealthy-Fuller lot.  It only requires a couple of new unused containers combined with a number of recycled residential modular units: 

redneck-mansion.jpg.ccd36e6544c5f01456cb45bfdeea1660.jpg

On 2/9/2019 at 10:21 AM, GR_Urbanist said:

I guess it all depends on . . . whether or not your local city site inspector is something other than a raccoon with a clipboard tied to its back.

I think actual raccoons would love this. 

EDIT: when I wrote fit on the lot I meant physically fit, not necessarily historically fit. 

Edited by walker
for clarity

I didn't realize that the city had shot down Steve Bratschie's plans for the 4 story apartment building at that corner: 

Bratschie sought informal feedback on plans to build a four-story building on the lot.  Bratschie said the commission did not support the four-story building.  A report from the city’s planning staff noted that the surrounding buildings were one- and two-stories tall (the commission’s goal is for new buildings to match the scale of the existing neighborhood). Plans for the four-story building were abandoned, because it wouldn’t have been financially feasible to scale the building down to two- or three-stories, Bratschie said.

If that's the case why would Guy Bazzani have proposed a similar massed structure at that corner after after Bratschie's project was shot down?  The argument that other buildings in that area are only one or two stores doesn't hold water.  The city approved both the  Orion, Eastown Flats and the "Forty Acers" building both a few blocks down and those buildings are 3 and 4 stories tall.

Here is Bratchie's original proposal: 

imageproxy.jpg.3647a815c1a1053928bab2a1075b1e9e.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mpchicago said:

I didn't realize that the city had shot down Steve Bratschie's plans for the 4 story apartment building at that corner: 

Bratschie sought informal feedback on plans to build a four-story building on the lot.  Bratschie said the commission did not support the four-story building.  A report from the city’s planning staff noted that the surrounding buildings were one- and two-stories tall (the commission’s goal is for new buildings to match the scale of the existing neighborhood). Plans for the four-story building were abandoned, because it wouldn’t have been financially feasible to scale the building down to two- or three-stories, Bratschie said.

Wow. That is... Very faulty logic.

3 hours ago, mpchicago said:

If that's the case why would Guy Bazzani have proposed a similar massed structure at that corner after after Bratschie's project was shot down?  The argument that other buildings in that area are only one or two stores doesn't hold water.  The city approved both the  Orion, Eastown Flats and the "Forty Acers" building both a few blocks down and those buildings are 3 and 4 stories tall.

Here is Bratchie's original proposal: 

imageproxy.jpg.3647a815c1a1053928bab2a1075b1e9e.jpg

Based on that drawing the powerlines go right through the building so I can see where they might be reticent. 

3 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Based on that drawing the powerlines go right through the building so I can see where they might be reticent. 

Yes, funny how the power lines are so prominent in the drawing, but not the case in reality on that side the street.   Who knows maybe that was part of the crazy reasoning behind not approving this building.  :wacko:  

Edited by mpchicago

3 hours ago, mpchicago said:

Yes, funny how the power lines are so prominent in the drawing, but not the case in reality on that side the street.   Who knows maybe that was part of the crazy reasoning behind not approving this building.  :wacko:  

Agreed. I thought it was good infill. Better the cargo containers (and I actually like the idea of cargo container developments). ;)

Joe

7 hours ago, mpchicago said:

Darn, I was being sarcastic but didn't include an emoji. Experiment = fail. :)

What a huge disappointment and missed opportunity.   That would have looked great there.  What difference does two stories make?  The PC and some people here in GR have such a 'small town' mindset.

On 12/13/2018 at 2:13 PM, RegalTDP said:

It's not like "Crack Fries" was all that original of a name to begin with.  People were calling fries and all other food they couldn't stop eating "crack" before HopCat opened.  People are starting to move away from the term, so HopCat is moving with them.  I don't think they would make the change if they didn't feel the name would be a liability going forward.

People who are reacting negatively to the change are acting as though HopCat is obligated to hold ownership of the name, but I don't see why they should as they didn't popularize the term "crack" in reference to food in the first place.   FWIW I do think the fries are as good as hyped, but I never thought the name was particularly iconic.

But if you want to be cynical, they sure are getting press out of it. 

About Hopcat, but not totally local- https://www.woodtv.com/news/national/hopcat-shutters-restaurant-in-chicago/1754530512

On 12/14/2018 at 6:15 PM, walker said:

HPIM3276.thumb.JPG.2843451d1a038f7b17970146fc5daaf6.JPG

Saw this bright loud sign today on 28th Street just east of Madison.  Don't know anything about this new liquor store but just thought this photo belonged here.

HISTORIC NOTE: the building which I wasn't clever enough to include in the photo, while severely remodeled since it was new, was originally a BILL KNAPPS  restaurant (one of several that GRDadof3's parents never took him to.)   

mmm.... The old Ground Round.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ctpgr34 said:

Yes, not surprised.  This WAS a bad location and was not open for lunch.   Thought that Sellers would have known it was a bad location since he lived in Chicago.   Another article says they may try to give Chicago another try, while another article said they won't  :dontknow:  

17 hours ago, mpchicago said:

Yes, not surprised.  This WAS a bad location and was not open for lunch.   Thought that Sellers would have known it was a bad location since he lived in Chicago.   Another article says they may try to give Chicago another try, while another article said they won't  :dontknow:  

Also, the Chicago beer scene is pretty loyal to the original idea for HopCat, Hop Leaf. It will be interesting to see if they open up in another location, my money is on no, at least for a while. 

7 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

Also, the Chicago beer scene is pretty loyal to the original idea for HopCat, Hop Leaf. It will be interesting to see if they open up in another location, my money is on no, at least for a while. 

Hopleaf is great.   It's been around forever and has a great Andersonville location.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2019 at 3:23 PM, BLUESCRUBS said:

mmm.... The old Ground Round.

Right, that's what next took over the space after Bill Knapp's.  Ground Round was a chain of hamburger restaurants that were upscale compared to fast food places.  The chain was started by Howard Johnson in an attempt to diversify away from their fading namesake restaurants.    

Edited by walker
  • Like 2