Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

2 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

I think Bombay is still open. As for the one and only time I went to East-West Brewing, the best thing was the Bombay food. 

The last I heard was that Bombay was moving into the East West Brewing space and serving food for the brewery (weird mix) The old Bombay area is available. 

On 3/8/2019 at 8:09 AM, egrguy said:

Breweries agree to merge (Saugatuk & Big Dogg)

Brewery closing doors (Hideout Brewing)

I predicted a brewery closing in my 2019 predictions, but not the Hideout. I forget that its there and probably why its closing.  I know nationally, beer is taking a backseat from the legalization of recreational use of marijuana and spirit sales are rapidly increasing.

Time to move into the distillery business!

I think we'll see a wave of closures in 2019-2020 as the Craft Brew Alliance released some absolutely jarring numbers for 2018. 3 out of the top-5 breweries saw sales declines in 2018 (New Belgium -11%, Boston Beer (Sam Adams) -7%, and Yuengling -2%). Goose Island  -7% and Shock Top -23%. 

Some silver linings in Michigan breweries with Bell's growing 3% and Founders growing 21%. It's important to note that these numbers reflect production and not actual sales volumes. And Founders did forecast 650k barrels at the beginning of 2018 only to ship ~563k with capacity of 1 million in the current brewhouse in GR. 

Demand will soften substantially as the drinking culture in the US is going through substantial changes with the introduction of alcoholic seltzers, hard sodas, canned cocktails, etc. Craft brewers will undoubtably struggle in understanding how to segment that market (although Perrin and New Holland are taking note with respective seltzers and canned cocktails). 

This shouldn't be a real surprise to anyone. Having been a patron of Founders for the past 7-8 years, Monday nights used to be wall to wall people. Outside of times where there is a band, the place feels tremendously empty. 

• Like 1

This is anecdotal, but I see a lot of Miller Lite/Bud Lite folks getting Solid Gold. I think Founders may have moved into a direction to broaden their market (especially to what they can move in retail). They've also stayed somewhat out of following beer fads and focused on trying to brew solidly consistent beers (Pilsner, Lager, session IPA, etc) that may keep them on solid footing.

But I agree, the craft beer boom is over and its hard water, liquors and more and more legalized marijuana.

• Like 3

On 6/3/2019 at 8:48 PM, All-InHospitalityGroup said:

Hey Jeff - this is our project. My wife and I purchased the properties a couple years ago from the previous owner, once the demo by neglect process started with the City of Grand Rapids. 

As far as I know, the house has been vacant since at least 2007, the first time I walked through the house when it was listed for sale. The condition was pretty bad then, but in that time frame, 10+ years, 2 different home owners had stripped the house down to the studs in much of the house.

This was unfortunate because there were a lot of nice interior details removed from the house, but at the same time they exposed just how compromised the house had become over the years of being neglected. 

In January of this year, HPC did approve the demolition of the house; we’re hopeful that they’ll now support the redevelopment of these two lots on Wednesday. 

Metric Structures is the general contractor for this project and Integrated is the architect. We’re pretty excited for the project and feel it’ll be a great addition to the neighborhood. 

Paul Lee

Paul--- great to see your progress here and the continued enthusiasm for the block you were so instrumental in getting started.    Full support from us for sure, we're watching with full interest and hope to see it happen !

eric wynsma / terra firma development

• Like 2

On 6/6/2019 at 2:10 PM, kwl said:

I think we'll see a wave of closures in 2019-2020 as the Craft Brew Alliance released some absolutely jarring numbers for 2018. 3 out of the top-5 breweries saw sales declines in 2018 (New Belgium -11%, Boston Beer (Sam Adams) -7%, and Yuengling -2%). Goose Island  -7% and Shock Top -23%. 

Some silver linings in Michigan breweries with Bell's growing 3% and Founders growing 21%. It's important to note that these numbers reflect production and not actual sales volumes. And Founders did forecast 650k barrels at the beginning of 2018 only to ship ~563k with capacity of 1 million in the current brewhouse in GR. 

Demand will soften substantially as the drinking culture in the US is going through substantial changes with the introduction of alcoholic seltzers, hard sodas, canned cocktails, etc. Craft brewers will undoubtably struggle in understanding how to segment that market (although Perrin and New Holland are taking note with respective seltzers and canned cocktails). 

This shouldn't be a real surprise to anyone. Having been a patron of Founders for the past 7-8 years, Monday nights used to be wall to wall people. Outside of times where there is a band, the place feels tremendously empty. 

I know that whole dust up over Bill Schuette and the Chamber's endorsement and Founders coming out against, and then turning around on their stance, really left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths that I know. I personally haven't been to Founders in over a year. 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 8:03 PM, GRDadof3 said:

I know that whole dust up over Bill Schuette and the Chamber's endorsement and Founders coming out against, and then turning around on their stance, really left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths that I know. I personally haven't been to Founders in over a year. 

It certainly left a bad taste in my mouth, I haven't bought their beer outside of the taproom since then (besides a couple of special bottles). I'll still go to the taproom and support my friends that work there but that's pretty much it. 

• Like 1

I think we will fare better locally with breweries Considering founders, bells even new Holland and  Perrin are expanding pretty rapidly  across the country. We’re also noted for pretty high-quality products here. The above listed “micro”breweries have been around for a long time before the real “craft” breweries took off. I think lower quality places and the guys who think theyre bigger than what they are will shrink first

• Like 2

22 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

It certainly left a bad taste in my mouth, I haven't bought their beer outside of the taproom since then (besides a couple of special bottles). I'll still go to the taproom and support my friends that work there but that's pretty much it. 

I think Founders is realizing (or needs to realize) they need to communicate like a large corporation vs a small brewer on these type of topics and have struggled on more than one occasion as it can impact their bottom line.  

I am always surprised Schmoz is still open. But the Hideout closed already, I've read that Kitzingin in Wyoming is going to sell/close? 

Its certainly an industry in transition, but I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing Founders NA see canning and distribution as the NA industry in Europe is growing (beer sales are decreasing).

• Like 1

I think Founders is realizing (or needs to realize) they need to communicate like a large corporation vs a small brewer on these type of topics and have struggled on more than one occasion as it can impact their bottom line.  
I am always surprised Schmoz is still open. But the Hideout closed already, I've read that Kitzingin in Wyoming is going to sell/close? 
Its certainly an industry in transition, but I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing Founders NA see canning and distribution as the NA industry in Europe is growing (beer sales are decreasing).
Founders NA is amazingly good. Would love to see it in cans. It's exactly what I needed, and now I'm finding NA is a growing category!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's great to see development creep south of Wealthy.  As the neighborhoods continue to improve, I think it's only a matter of time before we see more.  East Ave Church of Christ would be a perfect spot for redevelopment.

On 7/12/2019 at 12:04 PM, GR_Urbanist said:

Progress on the mixed-use development just south of Wealthy. The mass of this is incredible along the street. Much more so in person.

Two more of these going down to Franklin will really transform the area profoundly!

20190710_151041.thumb.jpg.b0dbd12963fddb2a2d348a1c2c00eda4.jpg

20190710_151036.thumb.jpg.b3278365a0269ff08c94d55305fcc056.jpg

20190710_151039.thumb.jpg.8262e015d3b884ab2f8f8d72b01757be.jpg

Where exactly is this project located? I’m shocked I haven’t even seen it in passing given I live in the neighborhood.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2019 at 7:49 AM, GRDadof3 said:

Update on this project. 

1069712516_WealthyStDevelopment.thumb.jpg.e7f3d4b9a4737e07f001c79d14bbfe6d.jpg

Does anyone know an update on the tenants for this space?  Anything decided yet?

On 5/8/2019 at 6:40 PM, GRDadof3 said:

It's not nearly as big as Bridge Street Market. It's more like Martha's Vineyard size. 

47017873414_ab02ca899b_h.jpg

33930297858_f0174fb960_b.jpg

47755080832_3fa7a54fac_b.jpg

47755080842_f53ced9328_b.jpg

47807156231_9d7eeb2ebf_b.jpg

Also curious about this one... was the grocery concept approved for this corner?

On 7/16/2019 at 2:50 PM, AyersRock said:

Also curious about this one... was the grocery concept approved for this corner?

Yes:

MLIVE: proposed-wealth-street-grocery-store-approved-by-grand-rapids-commission

Drove by the other evening and noticed that the site of the proposed grocery was completely filled with the vehicles of the people dining at the Hancock across the street.

• Like 2

I dont know if the site could handle it, but it would be awesome if they could make it a grocery store with a full floor located in a "basement" level, that expands out under the parking lot, and accessible from an escalator and elevator. I'm sure there has to be places like this in NYC.

They could totally expand their selection to something where average people may actually use this for 75% of their grocery needs. They could even build OVER the parking lot and have room for a third level too!

But then again, where would they put the storeroom for all of this?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, walker said:

Yes:

MLIVE: proposed-wealth-street-grocery-store-approved-by-grand-rapids-commission

Drove by the other evening and noticed that the site of the proposed grocery was completely filled with the vehicles of the people dining at the Hancock across the street.

The developer is very bullish that they'll fill the space with a grocery tenant soon. Something local? 

Coincidentally, that's where I parked the last time I was at Hancock. 

• Like 1

On 9/25/2018 at 11:37 AM, Sparty97 said:

No inside information, but I had heard that things were delayed for Plainfield due to additional costs with the new Ada location.  I didn't get the impression that it was canceled but rather delayed.

Gall Sewing & Vacuum Center has moved into the MC Sports spot

• Like 1