First Horizon Park - Home of the Nashville Sounds

RemarkableHomes

Amphitheater needs to be at least be 10k

The amphiteater seating capacity could have been larger if the stage had been sited further north (left in rendering).    It could have had a large open lawn and held several thousand more for larger shows.     The architects went for a more intimate and comfortable viewer experience by moving the stage to the center of the lawn with sloped and terraced seating.    Right now the hillside is being reshaped to create "the bowl" feature in the rendering.    

I realize this is the ballpark thread, but the topic shifted to outdoor venues.  

130827_rendering_master-plan_zps413d28d8

correction " the taxpayers had better get 'their' money's worth"

: )

Well, to tie this back to the ballpark, the ballpark itself can and probably will serve as yet another outdoor music/event venue on nights when the Sounds aren't using it.  Metro had better get their money's worth out of this building.

Reel it back in if needed, but what about LP Field as a music venue? Or is it just too large?

LP is fine for huge acts and has been used many times. CMA fest uses it every year.

BUT, LP seats around 70k. That's fine for things like CMA fest (where multiple acts are on the same bill) or huge acts like the Rolling Stones or U2. But even an act like the Stones would have a hard time selling out a stadium with our population size (unless it's a regional show, such as the only tour stop in the southeast).

It would be nice to have an outdoor venue that seats about 15-20k. That's about the max draw that you will get for big name, solo acts that are playing one show (Dave Matthews Band, Little Big Town, Kings of Leon, etc). That was about the size of Starwood (17k).

Edited by nashvillwill

I know I could go back through this thread and maybe find out the ballpark's capacity, but I'm lazy this morning.   :yawn:  Anyone know how many it will seat?

The only issue using it for concerts is the obvious overlap of baseball season and outdoor concert season...which can be worked around...but I'm sure the Sounds won't love having to give up their practice space for concerts. (not that they should gripe since taxpayer money is being used to help build the place).

As for the amphitheater...it's too bad they set the bar so low on seating area.  Somewhere in-between the size of the Ryman and Bridgestone would have been perfect...which I'm still thinking at least 10k.  

Oh well.  It will still hopefully be a nice addition.  But if they only use it for symphony type performances, I will feel we got hosed.

Not sure that I follow, but, LP is used multiple times throughout the year for concerts.

LP is fine for huge acts and has been used many times. CMA fest uses it every year.

BUT, LP seats around 70k. That's fine for things like CMA fest (where multiple acts are on the same bill) or huge acts like the Rolling Stones or U2. But even an act like the Stones would have a hard time selling out a stadium with our population size (unless it's a regional show, such as the only tour stop in the southeast).

It would be nice to have an outdoor venue that seats about 15-20k. That's about the max draw that you will get for big name, solo acts that are playing one show (Dave Matthews Band, Little Big Town, Kings of Leon, etc). That was about the size of Starwood (17k).

This is what I was getting at.  I was wondering why exactly a 15-20k venue is desired.  I am not a connoisseur in music venues so I was trying to pinpoint the "music venue gap," if there was one at all.  Thanks!

This is an awesome venue.  Very intimate with the surrounding woods but it only holds about 4500.  I saw the WSP '11 and both '13 shows there and have Willie Nelson tickets for the show in May.

Bridgestone is a good venue for winter shows but we really need a summer outdoor venue.  We miss out on a lot of the good summer tours from bands that thrive in outdoor venues.  I'm looking at you Phish......it's been nearly 15 years!

Going there for the Alison Krauss/Willie Nelson concert in May, really looking forward to it!

Remember that Vandy stadium hosted Dave Matthews, U2 and some other large concert [was it Pink Floyd?]

Wow so that means Vandy actually filled their stadium? They should of had everybody wear black and take some pictures for advertising.

Edited by bigeasy
  • Like 3

WOW! They wasted no time at all in getting this thing going.

True, but remember that their target goal is to be open in time for the first game next season -- that's about 11 months away. I'll be impressed big-time if they get an entire stadium built that fast.

Kevin, the project manager for the Ball park has attended a couple of the forum meets, and he agrees the hardest thing will be getting the field ready. They have to do that in the fall because it will be fescue and that really needs to be planted in the fall to get established for the next year. The irrigation has to be in place too. If you notice the construction progress, they are grading the field area and leveling now. I think the actual construction of the structure will go pretty fast once they get rolling.

Wonder if they could grow the fescue off-site, and sod it in when constructions complete? Seems that even if they start the seed bed with all the activity around the seed beds could see move foot and machinery traffic then it might like. I Don't know much know winter grasses like I do summer grasses; seeding in the fall is correct, but I think it could be sodded in in early spring and still do well.

Correction; I forgot that Baseball season starts as early as spring can get, so yeah I understand now.

Sod has to have time to settle and grow together. Now they could sod it in the fall, but with a baseball field, it can cause a few issues. The field has to be in really great condition the sooner rather than later. I did landscaping for several years and baseball fields are special animals. Talk to any baseball coach in the majors or on the college level and they will give you an education in field management. To them, it,s almost as important as recruiting the players.

Why fescue and not Bermuda or Zoysia? Can you cut fescue and maintain as low as you can cut and maintain Bermuda or Zoysia? Baseball being played in the summer months I'd think you'd want a summer grass and grass that can be maintained less than 1". I know they irrigate the crap out of the fields but I wouldn’t think you could water fescue enough being maintained below 1" in a Southern summer.