First Horizon Park - Home of the Nashville Sounds

RemarkableHomes

If you haven't been to a Sounds game, there's a good chance you're either a transplant or a terrorist.

Well I'm sure as hell not a terrorist lol! Born and raised in Oklahoma, moved here in 2005. Regardless...Baseball just isn't my thing, especially minor league... :yawn:

I'm not big into baseball either, but there is just something about being there with a glove on one hand, a mini helmet full of Rocky Road in the other hand and "Centerfield" by John Fogerty playing over the loud speaker that makes the Nashville Sounds experience something very special. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I know that I am dreaming but with the design and layout of this stadium, with all the room around the outside. Could seats be added for an MLB team? I love the Sounds but a MLB team in this area would really help the area develop even more.

I can't find it but there was already a discussion of the non-feasibility of this, I thought it was earlier on this thread.  My takeaway was 1) Nashville isn't big enough to support Hockey, NFL and MLB and won't be for a decade or more, and 2) MLB would require a whole new stadium rather than just an expansion of the minor league one, can't remember the reasons for this though.  Maybe someone else remembers more details.

I remember this too but I thought it was for the stadium being built at the thermal site. They said there would not be enough room to add to the stadium but I could be wrong about that too. I think if Nashville downtown core grows like they say it could then maybe at that point they could. It will all depend on corporate dollars, supporting three teams.

if I remember, the proposal for the new stadium at time of announcement was to design it as expandable to MLB size, small one of course.  then they went and decided to add apartments all around it on the same block. so I dont know if it is any more or not. I think they should have left the area behind home open from development for this reason.

if I remember, the proposal for the new stadium at time of announcement was to design it as expandable to MLB size, small one of course.  then they went and decided to add apartments all around it on the same block. so I dont know if it is any more or not. I think they should have left the area behind home open from development for this reason.

I doubt it could be expanded to Major League dimensions without extreme cost. I would look at the Cool Springs area to build a Major League Park if I owned a baseball team. Much like Atlanta is doing by relocating the Braves to suburban Cobb County.

I doubt it could be expanded to Major League dimensions without extreme cost. I would look at the Cool Springs area to build a Major League Park if I owned a baseball team. Much like Atlanta is doing by relocating the Braves to suburban Cobb County.

Well then to Hell with it, I don't want Cool Springs to get our baseball stadium!

• Like 1

I would love that. The Rays are a Nashville type team. Low budget playoff team most seasons. I just moved back from the Tampa area earlier this year and the one thing I have missed is going to the Rays games. If they can get out of their horrible lease I look for them to move even if it across the Bay to Tampa. The crowd at Rays games are completely horrendous. 

Building a team in Cool Springs would be risky. With a small market a team it needs to be centrally located. Look at the Coyotes, Panthers and even the

Rays. These fans have to travel to get to the games and that is part of the reason their attendance is low.   

I'm probably reading too much into this, but there are rumors that there may be a three-way trade of AAA organizations involving Giants, A's and the Brewers.  Currently the A's AAA organization is the Sacramento River Cats (apparently one of the best triple-A organizations at that), and have been for a long time.  Apparently the A's want to drop the River Cats, the River Cats are in talks with the Giants and the Giants Triple-A affiliate in Fresno is talking with the Brewers and Oakland with Nashville.  This is where I start speculating; it's no secrete that the A's won't out of Oakland, and I'm wondering if the A's are either scouting the Nashville area or there looking to move somewhere else in the region say Charlotte.  I know the Sounds is not close to Milwaukee, but a lot of the MLB teams keep there triple-A club close to home much like Oakland and Sacramento, San Fran and Fresno, Houston and Oklahoma City...  I'm keeping my eyes there right now, and I would much rather have the A's than the Rays.  The A's are contenders, the A's have a history and the A's is a team I could see Nashville, all of Tennessee  (Memphis excluded because they're butt hurt), Northern Alabama/Mississippi and Southern Kentucky getting behind them.  I could see myself dropping the Tigers and going full A's fan and come up for a few games a year, but Although I'd root for a Nashville Rays I couldn't see me dropping the Tigers for the Rays though.  As for Urban Arch.: "We are so close to Atlanta and St. Louis" the southeast would have to be the MLB's least concentrated region (with any meaningful population) in the country.  Nashville's probably closest to Cincinnati or Atlanta and both are four and a half hours or more drives; the heck that's close.  I agree that Nashville population wise is still probably a decade or more away from being able to host MLB, but in a decade Nashville's chances maybe slimmer due to no one's shopping for a new home so Nashville's chances may be now. 

Edited by L'burgnative

I'm probably reading too much into this, but there are rumors that there may be a three-way trade of AAA organizations involving Giants, A's and the Brewers.  Currently the A's AAA organization is the Sacramento River Cats (apparently one of the best triple-A organizations at that), and have been for a long time.  Apparently the A's want to drop the River Cats, the River Cats are in talks with the Giants and the Giants Triple-A affiliate in Fresno is talking with the Brewers and Oakland with Nashville.  This is where I start speculating; it's no secrete that the A's won't out of Oakland, and I'm wondering if the A's are either scouting the Nashville area or there looking to move somewhere else in the region say Charlotte.  I know the Sounds is not close to Milwaukee, but a lot of the MLB teams keep there triple-A club close to home much like Oakland and Sacramento, San Fran and Fresno, Houston and Oklahoma City...  I'm keeping my eyes there right now, and I would much rather have the A's than the Rays.  The A's are contenders, the A's have a history and the A's is a team I could see Nashville, all of Tennessee  (Memphis excluded because they're butt hurt), Northern Alabama/Mississippi and Southern Kentucky getting behind them.  I could see myself dropping the Tigers and going full A's fan and come up for a few games a year, but Although I'd root for a Nashville Rays I couldn't see me dropping the Tigers for the Rays though.  As for Urban Arch.: "We are so close to Atlanta and St. Louis" the southeast would have to be the MLB's least concentrated region (with any meaningful population) in the country.  Nashville's probably closest to Cincinnati or Atlanta and both are four and a half hours or more drives; the heck that's close.  I agree that Nashville population wise is still probably a decade or more away from being able to host MLB, but in a decade Nashville's chances maybe slimmer due to no one's shopping for a new home so Nashville's chances may be now. 

An American League team in Nashville would have the entire southeast as it's (American League) market. Fans of American League teams within 300 miles of Nashville could travel to Nashville to watch their team as it would be closer than any other AL City. The market area may include 50 million people or more. 

ALMArket_zpse3fa3bd0.jpg

Edited by PHofKS