First Horizon Park - Home of the Nashville Sounds

RemarkableHomes

I don't know much about baseball, but will this move for the Sounds be a good thing? How would that really help or hurt the team? All I know if I would rather be with the Brewers than the A's. That decision is based solely off of Milwaukee being a cooler city than Oakland haha. 

Well...I'm wondering if being with Oakland gets us one step closer to actually getting an MLB team here in the future?  As someone stated earlier, the A's may eventually leave Oakland...so maybe after working with the city for a few years through their farm club...they'll know if they like Nashville or not.

Just spitballing, of course.

I don't know much about baseball, but will this move for the Sounds be a good thing? How would that really help or hurt the team? All I know if I would rather be with the Brewers than the A's. That decision is based solely off of Milwaukee being a cooler city than Oakland haha. 

I don't know.  Oakland is now to San Francisco what Brooklyn is to Manhattan:  a gritty cross-river outpost with increasing hipster settlement.

Well...I'm wondering if being with Oakland gets us one step closer to actually getting an MLB team here in the future?  As someone stated earlier, the A's may eventually leave Oakland...so maybe after working with the city for a few years through their farm club...they'll know if they like Nashville or not.

Just spitballing, of course.

I read up on Oakland's situation a little, last night. They just signed a new 10 year lease with the Stadium after threatening to move to San Antonio (somehow the Alamo Dome was to be converted). San Jose has had a ballpark for the A's on the drawing board for a while and can build and finance it almost immediately, but is subject to San Francisco Giants territorial agreements.

In 10 years I can see this scenario; the A's become more attracted to Nashville (population approaching one million in the City and 2.5 million in the MSA). The economy is still among the best in the country with Fortune 500 Corporations relocating here all the time and a mixed population with many people migrating here from other cities with long histories of MLB loyalty and attendance.

Thus, a big league stadium is approved and built a few blocks south of the current site next to the railroad tracks.

The drawbacks would involve the need for a new football stadium in that same approximate time frame and the same baseball-labor agreements in place which currently favor the big markets over the smaller markets unlike in those in hockey and football.

When it comes to baseball, I always am optimistic. But I can reasonably see this scenario playing out.

^ I don't think San Jose would finance a stadium for the A's and only require them to sign a 10 year lease right off the bat. That lease would at least have to be 15-20 years. Of course the A's will try to include clauses stating under which conditions they can leave.

Edited by arkitekte

^ I don't think San Jose would finance a stadium for the A's and only require them to sign a 10 year lease right off the bat. That lease would at least have to be 15-20 years. Of course the A's will try to include clauses stating under which conditions they can leave.

I may not have been clear enough. The 10 year lease was with the current Oakland/Alemada County Stadium. I agree, San Jose would want a much longer lease (30 years is typical).

• Like 1

OK... I'm a bit confused about the Embrey apartments that will be starting soon.  One of the articles said there is no rendering, but I recall this one from back in December posted by Nashmoney on the 1stTN ballpark.  And when I saw that one, I thought that was for a building planned for the Jefferson/Jackson/4th/5th block. Is this another Embrey project?   

3096132_G.jpg

http://wkrn.images.worldnow.com/images/3096133_G.jpg

A little blurb in the Sunday Tennessean (no link since its a subscription)

Could Music City be a major league city? 

The Sounds might get more than they bargained for by switching affiliations from the Milwaukee Brewers to the Oakland A’s this week.

Baseball America editor John Manuel said trouble the A’s are having in securing a new stadium could mean the franchise takes a hard look at Music City.

“The X-factor for Oakland is that if you’re their affiliate in Triple-A, there’s always the chance that they may relocate,” Manuel said. “That’s not the case in Milwaukee. Milwaukee has a newish ballpark. With Oakland, you never know. I think that’s a point that has to be made.”

“It’s just speculation, but I don’t think it’s out of the question.”

• Like 2

As much as I would love it, I just don't understand all the speculation about it given the A's just signed a ten year lease at the Oakland Coliseum.

Granted, 10 years is a reasonable period of time when it comes to relocation. The A's may start shopping the city in the next year or two. Strike a deal for a new stadium and relocation in 5-6 years, and that gives the city about 4-5 years to plan and build it. That would give the city enough time to chose a site, find funding, hold a referendum if need be, and build it. In 10 years, we as a city will be in a better position to support MLB.

Who knows, it could happen. But I'll tell you one thing, and I'll wager a 6 pack on it, it will most certainly NOT be at an expanded Sounds stadium.

Edited by nashvillwill

I know I mentioned this earlier in this thread just to see what the response would be. I heard that it would be very slim if Nashville would get MLB anytime in the long-term future. The one thing that I didn't hear was the one thing that I really wanted to hear. Karl Dean wants MLB in Nashville, he made it clear in 2008 when they wanted the wanted the stadium at the Thermal site. I don't think MLB will be in Nashville when Dean goes out but I do think he wants a plan in place to bring it to the city.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds rebranding may have Ozzie fans crying fowl

From the article:

The Nashville Sounds are in the process of rebranding the entire club ahead of their move to First Tennessee Park next spring — and sources tell the Post that team officials are considering dumping their mascot, a cougar named Ozzie, for … a hot chicken.

Come on now...REALLY! A hot chicken?? I totally understand Nashville deserves the praise for bringing hot chicken to a global level, but this doesnt get my vote. Put out a survey and let the people vote on a new mascot. The article does state that the Sounds have not confirmed or denied this change, so maybe its prelimenary.

Glad it's just the mascot and not the team name.

Some potential mascot uniforms

2014-High-Quality-font-b-Funny-b-font-foHot-selling-2014-Adult-cute-font-b-FunnyHOT-SALE-Hot-font-b-Funny-b-font-White-A

Edited by nashmoney

I actually really like the sound of a new mascot and a rebranding. Currently, the Sound's identity is very generic, and minor league baseball is meant to be fun. Plus, it's much more relevant to the Nashville area than a cougar.

I agree, definitely we need a rebranding. I guess the hot chicken could have a signature dance called the "funky chicken" :) 

• Like 1

Here is the Sounds rebranding....no mention if "Hot Chicken" made the cut yet.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/baseball/2014/10/09/nashville-sounds-new-logo/16967207/

From the article:

Broadway Burnt Orange, Sunburst Tan, Neon Orange and Cash Black make up the club's new official colors. The Sounds are the first professional sports team to use Neon Orange in its color scheme.

"With this new logo scheme, we wanted to capture the vibrant nature of the city, of downtown Nashville. There is nothing more striking than burnt orange — you see it everywhere in this town," Sounds assistant general manager Brandon Yerger said in a team-issued press release. Brandiose, a San Diego company, was hired to design the logo. It has been working on it for 11 months.

Ok, unless I'm missing something or walking and driving around with my eyes closed, where do they see burnt orange everwhere in the city?? (except in the fall). Are they possibly talking about UT Orange? And as far the design taking 11 months to create....ok sure. Hopefully this design company was paid up front and not by the hour.

picture courtesy of NBJ

nashvillesounds*304xx1400-2100-200-0.jpg

Edited by nashmoney
  • Like 1

Broadway Burnt Orange, Sunburst Tan, Neon Orange

Maybe they're referring to the melanoma tanned, dyed blonde, cowboy boot wearing cougars that patrol up and down Broadway?

Eh, the logo's not bad. There is some thought to it. I like the f-hole stylized into the N, that's pretty cool. And the neon sign look is relevant to downtown. Although the yellow on top of orange thing is making my eyes bleed. I think they could have used different colors and still gotten the point across. I also wish they had stylized the background a little more to make it more obviously a guitar pick,  I think some people may miss that detail. 

• Like 4

I like it,  but the only way someone could confuse burnt orange with ut orange is if they are from texas.  I see ut orange all over town, not burnt orange

Burnt Orange:

Music City Center; ICON in the Gulch; 5th & Main; etc...

It's more prevalent than you might think.