Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

I haven't posted to this site in years... but I'm an avid reader and thought it was high time to get back in. Anyways, I'm a native Nashvillian who has now lived in Chicago for several years. Believe it or not, new lights and buildings here get the same types of complaints as this bridge. They plan a new skyscraper and the neighbors complain about the shadows it would cast! The shadows!! You live in highrise yourself in downtown Chicago, what did you expect? Anyways, I think the bridge looks amazing! I don't get to come back to Nashville enough, so I rely on pictures and news from this site, and I'm loving this! I think people just don't like to see change within their neighborhoods once they get used to the environment. Will this change colors and light up for different events/holidays? Any other pictures of the new amphitheater?

I think this view looking north from the 33rd floor of Chicago's Carbide and Carbon Bldg shows what can be done as great illumination retrofits with historic landmarks, without (arguably) detracting from their character and making them tacky.  I'm certain that these "evil" and lurid glows probably turn off those who reside in Streeterville and the Near North Side, among the most tourist-visited districts within that CBD.  The hues no doubt are rather "loud" and bright, particularly with the purple, which tends to broadcast a sometimes unsettling glare to the human eye at night.

Wrigley Bldg. (red-white-blue) and Intercontinental (magenta-purple)

(viewed from Carbide and Carbon Bldg [hard Rock Hotel], 33rd floor, 2015-0707)

55b16dace6a47_CarbideCarbon_HardRock_loo

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1

I haven't posted to this site in years... but I'm an avid reader and thought it was high time to get back in. Anyways, I'm a native Nashvillian who has now lived in Chicago for several years. Believe it or not, new lights and buildings here get the same types of complaints as this bridge. They plan a new skyscraper and the neighbors complain about the shadows it would cast! The shadows!! You live in highrise yourself in downtown Chicago, what did you expect? Anyways, I think the bridge looks amazing! I don't get to come back to Nashville enough, so I rely on pictures and news from this site, and I'm loving this! I think people just don't like to see change within their neighborhoods once they get used to the environment. Will this change colors and light up for different events/holidays? Any other pictures of the new amphitheater?

I read that it will have a soft white hue most of the year, while reserving more colorful displays for events/holidays.

Saw the new lights on KVB bridge tonight for the first time and, man, do they make a difference! It is actually far more imposing than I thought it would be, I could see it from a mile or more away coming in on Lebanon Pike/1st ave. Pretty cool...just a couple months ago many of us thought lighting on the bridge was likely a pipe dream and now look where we are. The new amphitheater is sharp as hell, too. 

Is it just me or does the pedestrian bridge look awfully dark now? I thought it might have been an optical illusion from the new KVB lights, but i'm pretty sure it was darker than usual tonight.

• Like 4

Saw the new lights on KVB bridge tonight for the first time and, man, do they make a difference! It is actually far more imposing than I thought it would be, I could see it from a mile or more away coming in on Lebanon Pike/1st ave. Pretty cool...just a couple months ago many of us thought lighting on the bridge was likely a pipe dream and now look where we are. The new amphitheater is sharp as hell, too. 

Is it just me or does the pedestrian bridge look awfully dark now? I thought it might have been an optical illusion from the new KVB lights, but i'm pretty sure it was darker than usual tonight.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the future then pedestrian bridge is retrofitted with LED's. Also keep in mind the pedestrian bridge to the Gulch. I bet It will have a nice lighting scheme. 

• Like 1

I'm just tickled they finally changed the colors on the Batman spires.

How do you mean? Sorry I'm not in Nashville to see. Did they finally fix them so they are even at least? I know one part of one the spires has been dark ever since the lights were changed to LED. I wish they were a bit brighter as well. 

• Like 1

They were green one night, recently. Good to see the different colors 

How do you mean? Sorry I'm not in Nashville to see. Did they finally fix them so they are even at least? I know one part of one the spires has been dark ever since the lights were changed to LED. I wish they were a bit brighter as well. 

• Like 1

They were green one night, recently. Good to see the different colors 

For a change, I'm finally starting to see that you's guys don't have a total monopoly on good thinkings such as these.  Until the last half year or so, I was starting to feel that a special-interest coup had overthrown any chance of decent and reasonable enhancements such as accent lighting and other perks.  With these comments elicited (often with an inflection of passion), the responses from all you's guys ─ farm_boy, the Prune, rural_JBruceman (on noticeable disparities), the Nathan_in-, and vivid illustrations from PHofKS, and all others (whom I don't mean to overlook, incl MLBrum, CenterHill, Vrtig )  who confer their constructive sentiment to this forum on the region's monumental emergence during this pivotal conjuncture ─ it's seems all the more most  likely that you're being tracked and lurked by those who effect these positive doings. ("big dilated, beady, often entreating eyes, looking out from under the crawl spaces")

glowing-at-night-b.thumb.jpg.2b487c7307a

The fact is, no mind-storm should be imposed in a headstrong, this-is-just-how-we-do-it, boiler-plate manner (as many in charge in all metro agencies seem to have adopted and and rationalized with the budget-constraint pretext).  It requires a broad abstraction of diversity in collaborative thinking and sharing across both partisan and geographic bounds, needed to bust that "not-from-'round-here" mentality.  It'll be a while before the gall-stone bastions of ineptitude get "broke-up" and pass down the tube, so to speak.

-==-

• Like 1

Drove by downtown tonight solely with the purpose of seeing the bridge lights. I am not sure if they took complaints to heart, were having technical issues, or I had a bad angle, but I could barely tell the bottom was lit up. The arches were a nice white, but I couldn't see anything else. Was anybody else there tonight? I thought it would be on since the beer festival was going on.

Edited by bigeasy

It's a shame you didn't see the whole thing, you really have to see the whole thing in person to get the full impact. I definitely noticed the bottom lights when I drove by the other night, so I hope it was just a technical issue with tonight.

I just noticed that Boston pulled its bid for the 2024 Summer Olympics because they couldn't get a guarantee from the IOC that there would not be cost-overruns that the city/state would owe in the end.

Just wondering...do you guys think Nashville could ever host an Olympics?  The U.S. is looking for another city to throw together a bid by September...with LA and SF mentioned.

Is Nashville ready now to go for something like this...or sometime in the future?  Or...is it not worth it?

The Olympics would be a long shot for a city with a shortage of hotel rooms, inadequate transit and lacking international air service.  Not that those couldn't be built before 2024 but at what cost?    Yes, these are all items Nashville is working towards and we'd like to see major progress on (well, some of us would), but on our own terms, not with an IOC gun to our heads. 

That's an interesting point to consider...

There's plenty of evidence that hosting the Olympics can have disastrous effects on a city's finances if not executed properly. However, at which point would the pros outweigh the cons for a city such as Nashville?

Let's hypothesize that, in order to host the Games, our city would need (at minimum) the following:

• A doubling(?) of our current or under-construction hotel capacity
  • A functional and highly utilized mass transit system, at least in the urban core
  • Light rail transit between BNA and downtown
  • A new stadium venue to host the largest events
  • Regular international air service
  • etc.

I can't say I would be opposed to having hosting duties serve as the "swift kick in the pants" this city needs in order to get our act together with any of the above. Obviously, financing all of it would be a stretch, but could it be done in a palatable way?

Edited by Vrtigo
Clarification of text
  • Like 1