Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Random question and I'm sorry if this is not appropriate. Fell free to delete my comment if need be.

I have a historic home and I need to have some windows worked on. I'm looking for a local company that does historic reproduction windows. If anyone has any knowledge or experience with this, please PM me. Google and other sources hasn't worked for me on this search, so I thought someone here may have some info.

Thanks.

There may be others with this need. I would first start by contacting the Historic Commission. They would probably have a list of folks that do this kind of work.

Also Mike Wolfe over at Antique Archeology as he does historical salvage of windows as a part of his business I think.

40,000 + for the Gold Cup preliminary match, USA v. Guatemala.

USA%20Soccer%20Nashville_zpspgnzsp2x.jpg

Future World Cup host city?

Update; 44,800 to be exact.

This was just a "friendly" exhibition match that was not part of the Gold Cup at all.  The first gold cup game is tomorrow Tuesday.

Despite the solid advanced ticket sales, the stadium was grossly unprepared.  It took more than an hour in line to get through the gate.  Typical concessions lines ran about 45 minutes and were operating with staff numbers well below capacity.  The one we went to had one register open and a line of at least 50 people waiting.

Nashville is a great location, draws from a pretty wide region.  Not only GA, AL, KY, but decent numbers from as far as Indy or STL.

Nashville is also a great destination, many people came from much further than that and stayed for the weekend to visit.

^^^^ I wonder what the reason for being so short staffed was. Were they truly caught off guard somehow, or was it a case of "this isn't the NFL, this isn't our premier league, so let's cut operating costs to maximize profit".

I'm sure that's not the case, but I just can't imagine how else they could be so unprepared. Were the lines just as bad for the Rolling Stones concert?

Despite the solid advanced ticket sales, the stadium was grossly unprepared.  It took more than an hour in line to get through the gate.  Typical concessions lines ran about 45 minutes and were operating with staff numbers well below capacity.  The one we went to had one register open and a line of at least 50 people waiting.

^^^^ I wonder what the reason for being so short staffed was. Were they truly caught off guard somehow, or was it a case of "this isn't the NFL, this isn't our premier league, so let's cut operating costs to maximize profit".

I'm sure that's not the case, but I just can't imagine how else they could be so unprepared. Were the lines just as bad for the Rolling Stones concert?

I imagine it's difficult to scrounge up enough part-time/temporary workers to man concessions, gates, etc. over a holiday weekend, especially for what is typically minimum wage.

I haven't recently been to any events at the Car Hole (still working on a nickname) beyond a few Titans games in the past couple of years, but it seems like the game-day experience has been suffering as of late. Scout had an article about this today also.

Don't mean to pile onto the troubles of the franchise recently, but I'd guess it all goes back to ownership being in DGAF mode since Bud passed. It's a shame as Nissan Stadium should be our premier outdoor venue, not just for NFL, CMA Fest, and the odd UT game but more spring/summer concerts, beyond the Stones and Kenny Chesney.

I imagine it's difficult to scrounge up enough part-time/temporary workers to man concessions, gates, etc. over a holiday weekend, especially for what is typically minimum wage.

I was at Soldier Field this weekend for the Friday and Saturday Grateful Dead shows and there was no shortage of concession and gate workers.

• Like 1

The Stones concert wasn't all that bad as far as lines, getting in and out was a breeze except that they didn't tell anybody about the anti-purse policy and this inconvenienced hundreds or possibly thousands of people (like us, we had to walk back over the pedestrian bridge to the car and then back, missing Brad Paisley in the process.  I saw scores of people making this trip with us, purses in hand).  I guess they think football fans already know but this was a different crowd.  If you're going to have a policy like that you can let people know in advance.

• Like 1

Aramark / Concession depend on volunteers to run the concourse stands.  Due to poor leadership from the Titans there is a lack of communication between the Titans and the volunteer leaders.  This lack of communication has decreased the volunteer participation rate and number of groups who actively work the stands.  If anyone has been to a Predators game, you can tell a night / day difference in concession organization, engagement, staffing, etc.  

For the soccer game, over 100 volunteers were no call / no show.  Now the Titans have recently hired someone to help in operations, but he just started and is still building relationships.  Long ways to go yet.  This is an semi-large issue for the Titans / Nissan Stadium, as this game day experience breeds apathy from the general fan base.  My experience at NHL / MLS games have been the exact opposite.  They are well staffed, engaging, and tech friendly (esp. MLS).  

• Like 1

Aramark / Concession depend on volunteers to run the concourse stands.  Due to poor leadership from the Titans there is a lack of communication between the Titans and the volunteer leaders.  This lack of communication has decreased the volunteer participation rate and number of groups who actively work the stands.  If anyone has been to a Predators game, you can tell a night / day difference in concession organization, engagement, staffing, etc.  

For the soccer game, over 100 volunteers were no call / no show.  Now the Titans have recently hired someone to help in operations, but he just started and is still building relationships.  Long ways to go yet.  This is an semi-large issue for the Titans / Nissan Stadium, as this game day experience breeds apathy from the general fan base.  My experience at NHL / MLS games have been the exact opposite.  They are well staffed, engaging, and tech friendly (esp. MLS).  

I could not agree with you more.  Part of it is that the Titans appear to simply be arrogant that people will come and endure the poor game day experience because it is the NFL.  I have been a season ticket holder since day 1 and recently became a Predators season ticket holder, the difference in virtually every aspect of game day is night and day.  I don't go to the games to eat or drink, but it is nice to have many food/drink options at the Preds games.  However if you need to swap tickets the Preds make it as easy as possible, while the Titans basically won't do it. I hope the recent change in game day management will help the Titans but they have a long way to go. 

• Like 1

I could not agree with you more.  Part of it is that the Titans appear to simply be arrogant that people will come and endure the poor game day experience because it is the NFL.  I have been a season ticket holder since day 1 and recently became a Predators season ticket holder, the difference in virtually every aspect of game day is night and day.  I don't go to the games to eat or drink, but it is nice to have many food/drink options at the Preds games.  However if you need to swap tickets the Preds make it as easy as possible, while the Titans basically won't do it. I hope the recent change in game day management will help the Titans but they have a long way to go. 

To call the Titans a professional franchise in any way is a bit laughable. Yes, they have paid players(not good ones), but the franchise seems to be run very haphazardly. It is a shame because they are quickly losing the fan base. My friends and I used to watch every game, read every article. For the past few years we watch almost no Titans games and prefer other city's teams.

• Like 1

To call the Titans a professional franchise in any way is a bit laughable. Yes, they have paid players(not good ones), but the franchise seems to be run very haphazardly. It is a shame because they are quickly losing the fan base. My friends and I used to watch every game, read every article. For the past few years we watch almost no Titans games and prefer other city's teams.

This happens to most teams.  There are peaks and valleys.  Nashville was spoiled with a string of success when they moved to Nashville and now we are experiencing the long downs.

• Like 2

Aramark / Concession depend on volunteers to run the concourse stands.

Wow, so Aramark staffs its entire concession operation at Titans games with unpaid volunteers?

Clearly I took the wrong career path. I should've founded a company like Aramark.

Edited by Jamie Hall
  • Like 1

There is "compensation", as I understand it, but it's a percentage of the gross (I think it's not net) sales that goes to the organization providing the volunteers.  I am aware of several high school organizations that do this during games. 

I believe, If "Nashville HS Soccer Team" runs a concession course at Nissan Field and generates $10,000 in sales on a cost basis of $8,000, Aramark "donates" aka tax write off the $2,000 to "Nashville HS Soccer Team" but that is old info.

Edited by HGMIII