Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Well, allow me to be one of many to thank Ron for his hard work in keeping our long-running development map up to date. It has been a great resource for me and likely many thousands of nameless visitors that have happened across it.

I'm all for the continuing of our own map since it probably has more information on it anyway. However, Ron, if you've been looking for an excuse to pass that duty off to someone else, this is a great opportunity. What NBJ has put together looks pretty solid and seems like it could be very reliable.

Agree NBJ has done a good job.    I still like Ron's format of color coding projects to indicate proposed, under construction and completed, among other categories.    It's nice to be able to sort using those filters.    

• Like 1

Well, allow me to be one of many to thank Ron for his hard work in keeping our long-running development map up to date. It has been a great resource for me and likely many thousands of nameless visitors that have happened across it.

I'm all for the continuing of our own map since it probably has more information on it anyway. However, Ron, if you've been looking for an excuse to pass that duty off to someone else, this is a great opportunity. What NBJ has put together looks pretty solid and seems like it could be very reliable.

Ron will keep his up. I don't think the NBJ will keep this up if readers don't use it, or the building boom goes bust.

Im new to this site, can some one post a link to Ron's map? Much appreciated 

• Like 2

Yes, the installation of the "STIX" public art project is starting (almost two years after announced).  This was confirmed by Jennifer Cole, head of the Metro Arts Council, last week.  Delays have been caused by right of way issues and DOT approvals.  Final installation should take about two months.  

• Like 4

I'm not sure what the 300K figure is referring to.  The total project will be $750K last I knew, so each stick will be $25K.  But I mean, while I agree that might seem excessive at first glance, each "stick" is as tall as a nine story building and lit with LED lighting at night from the inside, so it's not like they're just a bunch of painted wooden telephone poles.  But anyway, I realize the project is extremely...let's go with unconventional haha...and when it was first announced I too had my reservations.  But when I think about how this will look from street level, especially at night, I can't see how this won't look pretty dynamic and liven up that corner of downtown.  

Plus...it IS art.  Each pole was hand designed and hand painted...so there's some cost to that as well.  Also...with that many poles, I would imagine it will be pretty costly to install them all.

• Like 4

I hate to change the subject but since it's not going to be too far away from the roundabout, any idea when construction for the pedestrian bridge is supposed to start?

I was wondering the same!  Last I knew, it was approved and cleared for construction last fall.  I thought it was supposed to be done in fall of 2016?  Who knows.

• Like 1

I was waiting for a table for brunch at The Southern today and walked around the new park behind the amphitheater.  it is very nice, but i was irritated when i was walking back and there was a group of skate boarders 1, in the bike lanes previously discussed, and 2 jumping onto the art that is shaped like the river (forgot what it is called)  they even had a guy filming the whole thing, one of my friends actually commented "that is why we cant have nice  things"  

parts of it are wood, this will destroy it eventually

• Like 1

Don't remember if this has been discussed yet or not.

The Travel Channel partnered with The New York Times to develop a new show based on the 36 Hours column.  Tonight's episode was called "Rockin' in Nashville" and they featured Hotel 404, City House, Arrington Vineyard, White's Mercantile, Loveless Cafe, The Ryman, Two Ten Jack, Robert's, Hatch Show Print, Pinewood Social, Prince's, and probably a couple more places I'm forgetting

They also had some really great shots of the city and did a nice job of making everything look good.  Worth checking out.  This is only the second episode of the new series.  The first episode was Berlin.  

Totally forgot about that!!  Thanks for the reminder!  I saw the Berlin episode, and it's a really well done show.  Looking forward to it!