Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

my experience in europe in 2004 was a little different, When I told people I was from Tennessee i usually got the "oh Jack Daniels" response. but i guess that means our international profile has changed in 11 years, or I spent a lot of time in bars over there.

Edited by volsfanwill
  • Like 2

I hope this is the appropriate thread for this post.

I'm on my annual pilgrimage to France right now, yet Tennessee cannot escape me.  I met up with a cousin the other day who had no idea that I had moved from Knoxville to the Nashville area.  He literally jumped up and said, "I will go see you in Nashville."  When I had told him a couple of years ago that he was more than welcome to come visit me in Knoxville, he showed zero interest.  So when I told him I was now close to Nashville he ran to his living room.  I asked his wife what he was doing and she said he's probably digging out his old records.  Which he did.  Hank Williams, Conway Twitty, even Eddy Arnold.  What I found interesting was that the record covers were all in French.  He looooves country music and has always wanted to go to Nashville.  I'm telling you, just about everyone I meet over here has heard of Nashville, and many have told me that they want to go visit.

And then in the last week I have seen TWO restaurants called "Le Tennessee" and they're not part of a chain.  I've discovered that there are a bunch of restaurants around France called either "Le Tennessee" or just "Tennessee" and they have nothing to do with each other.  One is Tex-Mex (?), most serve American stuff, and one in Paris even serves fine French food.  And then today at lunch I was in a restaurant that has a Tennessee burger.

I think part of the reason more French people don't come to Nashville is it's just not easy to get to.  A nonstop flight to London will go a long ways towards solving that problem even if the problem is one of perception more than reality.IMAG0101_zpsut6otfvu.jpgLe%20Tennessee%20Cambrai_zps4lcn4aim.jpgIMAG0138_zpsvgqzctv1.jpg

Haha Auchan!! Used to shop there all the time when I lived in Sicily.

• Like 1

For some reason Europeans seem to hate having to change planes in the US.  They'd much rather change planes in Europe in order to get to the US, or take a train to a gateway city in Europe and then fly non-stop to the US.  (I don't get it, either.)  Of course, I'm talking about the joe schmoe European travelers and not the business people.  I do know that the number of French tourists visiting SLC has risen dramatically since Delta started its non-stop seasonal SLC-CDG flight a few years ago.

To be fair this is not just Europeans.  If I am traveling internationally I am almost always going to choose the destination with less stops, or a stopover in a more familiar airport in the US, if possible.  With time at a premium, less hassle and less potential for delay always gets the nod.

• Like 2

To be fair this is not just Europeans.  If I am traveling internationally I am almost always going to choose the destination with less stops, or a stopover in a more familiar airport in the US, if possible.  With time at a premium, less hassle and less potential for delay always gets the nod.

True.  Until a couple of years ago when frequent flyer miles were calculated by the number of miles flown I actually enjoyed layovers because it meant I was accumulating more miles.  Now that they've changed all that, I'd just as soon have the fewest layovers possible.  (By the way, I really really really hate the way frequent flyer miles are accrued now.  grrrrrrr)

I guess what I meant was, Europeans seem to not mind changing planes in Europe, but they're not too fond of changing planes in the U.S.  So my friends in Brussels could fly from Brussels to Paris and change planes for a nonstop flight to Atlanta, but they would be much less likely to make the trip if they flew, let's say, from Brussels to New York and changed planes to Atlanta.  The same number of layovers, but they're for some reason averse to having to change planes in the U.S.  I'm not really sure why that's the case.  (And yes I know that was a poor example since Delta does fly nonstop from Brussels to Atlanta.)

So I really do think that if Nashville had a nonstop flight to London, we'd see more European tourists come to town, not just British tourists.

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Like 2

I found this interesting. A semi-local, high end speaker company is opening a retail/event space hybrid in the Pinnacle building.

http://m.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2015/06/luxury-audio-company-to-open-event-space-in-the.html

Aside; Don't we have a "retail" thread? I couldn't find it anywhere. Maybe I'm just blind.

• Like 1

attachicon.giforiginal.jpegI think we are all fans of this shirt on sale for a limited time https://squareup.com/market/12th-and-broad

Took the family downtown over the weekend for the Pride festivities and used the opportunity to take my semi-regular scenic drive. As we all know the number of cranes among the skyline is staggering. The nickname "Crane City" occured to me and I couldn't shake it from my mind, as virtually turn after turn was met with another one in my field of sight. 

• Like 1

Nashville vies with New York for largest U.S. fireworks show

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/06/09/nashville-fireworks-july-show-largest/28729845/

We definitely have one if the best and largest displays in the nation. Let's give nyc a run for the money

The family and I are coming up this weekend for the fireworks display.  It might be dumb to come up for fireworks when we could watch our cities display from our front yard, but how often is a person driving distance from the largest fireworks display in the country?  I think we just want to get away for the weekend anyways.  I'm sure some of y'all have watched the fireworks display before, so my question is where are the better places in downtown to watch the show from?  Y'all think the new amphitheater will be open to pedestrians this weekend, and would that be a good place to watch from?

The family and I are coming up this weekend for the fireworks display.  It might be dumb to come up for fireworks when we could watch our cities display from our front yard, but how often is a person driving distance from the largest fireworks display in the country?  I think we just want to get away for the weekend anyways.  I'm sure some of y'all have watched the fireworks display before, so my question is where are the better places in downtown to watch the show from?  Y'all think the new amphitheater will be open to pedestrians this weekend, and would that be a good place to watch from?

Pretty sure the amphitheater won't be opened until the end of July...but I could be wrong.

If you want to get the "full treatment" for the 4th...just hang down on Broadway.  Just be warned...there will be at least ¼ of a million people there, and possibly more.

We used to actually hang around at the Music Row Roundabout in that little pocket park and watch the fireworks...but you don't really get the full "New York Times Square" feel of the event like you would being on LoBro.

Pretty sure the amphitheater won't be opened until the end of July...but I could be wrong.

If you want to get the "full treatment" for the 4th...just hang down on Broadway.  Just be warned...there will be at least ¼ of a million people there, and possibly more.

We used to actually hang around at the Music Row Roundabout in that little pocket park and watch the fireworks...but you don't really get the full "New York Times Square" feel of the event like you would being on LoBro.

I'm inclined to agree here... If you're going to do it, go all out. Just be prepared (several drinks/Xanax/etc.) in advance for hordes of people and an enormous amount of traffic (1-2 hours just to drive out) if you try to leave downtown afterwards.

Alternatively, there are plenty of places just outside of the city where you could camp out. Cumberland Park & the areas surrounding LP Nissan Stadium will have some of the best views anywhere. You could park at the stadium and post up on one of the bridges (Gateway, Woodland, Jefferson) for good views as well, provided these aren't roped off.

My wife and I are going to hang out at Little Harpeth Brewing which is nearby as well and somewhat hidden away. Should be a fun time regardless from anywhere with a view.

Alternatively, there are plenty of places just outside of the city where you could camp out. Cumberland Park & the areas surrounding LP Nissan Stadium will have some of the best views anywhere. You could park at the stadium and post up on one of the bridges (Gateway, Woodland, Jefferson) for good views as well, provided these aren't roped off.

Agreed. One of the things I miss from living in East Nashville was being able to just walk up Davidson St and catch the shows in the park area or behind the PSC metals area, avoiding traffic altogether.

It offers a satisfactory view, but it still gets quite crowded, so since you're driving I would recommend finding somewhere to park early and camp out. 

Much of the east bank is closed to the public since that is where they launch the shells. I know the pedestrian bridge is usually closed. I would bet that most of the stadium parking is closed, sans a little bit towards the interstate. I also think they typically close the Woodland St bridge.

I concur with the rest. If you're going to do it, then go for the full experience. Go to lower Broadway. One piece of advice though. I would avoid parking in a garage at all costs. It will take you hours to get out of town if you do that. If it were me, I would get there early, wear some walking shoes, and plan to park in midtown, Germantown, farmers market or the like and just plan on hoofing it. You could probably uber/pedicab on the way in and save the hike for the way out. Bonus; you'll potentially find free parking if you're willing to walk that far.

• Like 4

Definitely consider parking near the Farmers Market if you can - say, in the state employee parking lots just on the North side of the railroad tracks..  it's not a bad walk at all and you'll be glad you did it when you see all the poor schmoes trying to get out of the parking garages and lots downtown.

If you park in that area, you'll be in your car and out of town before the ones down there even get to the interstate... 

• Like 3