Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Hmm...if only there were some sort of alternative transportation option that could be implemented that didn't involve cars...say, some sort of long self propelled car that followed a set route....perhaps it could run on some sort of track type mechanism? Then you could be in and out in no time! Forgive me for my wild ramblings...obviously this is just sci-fi hogwash!

7a9329c4d94e56e95b914f685af6c9426e51d558

• Like 2

We've made reservation through Hotwire, so we're staying in downtown (kind of). Couple questions though; is it crazy bringing our 9 and 8 year old children to this event.  Also this came to mind; how about the views from the courthouse lawn?  Again we'll have children with us, so I'm not sure about being in Lower Broad, and definitely won't be able to hit the bars before or afterwards.

I'm kind of pissed about the hotel thing though; before last night we've had a perfect record figuring out which hotel we'll be staying at before we book(Hotwire doesn't tell you which hotel you booked till after you book).  before we booked we thought we had it figured out that it was with the new Hyatt which would have been great since it's so close and walkable, but no it turns out we booked way out at Millinnium Maxwell House.  I know nothing about Millinnium Maxwell house, and that is definitely not walkable.  Should I try to get out of this reservation (is this place clean or a crap hole)?  If all is good I'll try what jdavidf said and park near the State Employ parking lots or Farmers Market.  The down side to that is I remember my wife and I trying to cross James Robertson, and it was tough.  Now trying to do it with kids.....

Edited by L'burgnative

The Maxwell House is near the metro center. I've had work conferences there and while it is not a crap hole by any means, it is still kind of stuck in the 70's in terms of decor, etc. The area is not particularly bad, although it becomes a bit shadier after dark when all the office workers have left the area. The good news is it is a straight shot down Rosa Parks blvd to Jefferson street/Farmers Market/Capitol park area. It is walkable and a straight shot, like I said, but it would be a fairly long walk with 2 kids in tow.

Edited by NikOnder

Agreed about the Maxwell House -- there's nothing wrong with it, but location wise, not bad, being a straight shot down to those state parking lots..  it's going to be tough on everybody to walk from there, considering you have the kids with you. Getting across James Robertson won't be so bad - just a long haul with the kids..  

As for the courthouse lawn, not a bad idea.. and there will be lots of stuff going on there beforehand. The kids will enjoy playing in the pools there. 

We walked down a couple of years ago and staked out spots at the top of 1st Avenue around the Gay St intersection and that was pretty good. The earlier you get there the better. Still, I'd bet it would be better than taking the kids down into the middle of everything!

Hope you all have a blast! It really is the greatest show on Earth! Be sure to bring a radio so you can tune in the symphony playing along with the fireworks.. 

This doesn't help even one soul at this point, but what I've done during the last few years that I did attend (right now I'm leaving Eugene OR and headed north), I always planned well in advance to hit as soon as the MCS tickets went on sale and would go the extra drive to Hermitage or Mt. Juliet (better- less traffic), thereby not having to make that mistake of driving anywhere in the vicinity of DT, since I'm a local.

Unfortunately, the train always sells out early, and the RTA won't consider running 2 trains in tandem, which they easily could have arranged by unloading one train at Riverfront, moving it less than a mile into the NERR yard between Driftwood and Stanley Streets, to clear the way for the second train.  It would take some additional logistics to allow for "matching" passengers and their personal effects, permitted to be stored on the trains during layover, but it could have been done, nevertheless. The additional cost of a second crew and a second trainset would have been worth it, and it, too, would have been a likely sellout as well, for double the ridership,  To me the $20-25 would be "over" well worth the sparing of frayed nerves.  It would be rather costly for a family of 3 or more.

-==-

• Like 1

I wonder how they'll pull off largest since we don't have the massive waterfront that NYC does and the launching opportunities are smaller, unless they have plans to fire from skyscrapers.

Every time I hear one of those "largest" claims, it's always about shell count. Now, there are big shells and small shells. The type of shells that you launch from a barge in the East River that can be seen from 3 boroughs probably average much larger than the types of shells you can launch from the east bank to be viewed best on Broadway.

Nashville's display always includes many of these smaller fireworks for dramatic effect. Therefore, it's probably not too hard to get the shell count up pretty quick.

Having said that, I love our display. I think it's increbible simply for the fact that it's so amazing up close. I've never been to NYC for the 4th, but I've seen the SF display shot from barges in the Bay and I imagine it's similar. Big fireworks, miles away. It's also very impressive, but you don't get that same effect as the thunderous-heart pounding feeling you can experience when they are just a couple of thousand feet across a small river.

I have zero insider knowledge, but I would guess it boils down to this;

Shell count= Nashville +1

Pounds of Gunpowder= NYC (and many other cities)

Cost= no idea

Edited by nashvillwill

A little more about the Fourth of July competition between Nashville and NYC. This is from a USA Today story earlier in June:

"Our goal is to have the largest fireworks show in the country," Butch Spyridon, CEO of the Nashville Convention and Visitors Corp., told USA TODAY Network.

The Macy's fireworks show in New York has long been recognized as the largest in the USA and even Spryidon called it the "gold standard." However, this year Spryidon said Nashville is ready to outshine the Big Apple.

"It is not an exact science, but we got a rough idea of how many shells New York had so we told our supplier to make sure he had more shells than New York this year," Spyridon said.

Macy's fireworks show will have 54,000 shells, the company's spokesman Orlando Veras told USA TODAY Network in a statement. Spryidon would not disclose the exact amount in Nashville, but said it would be more than 54,000.

Spryidon said trying to beat New York is not something the city can afford to do every year, but he wanted to do it this time to celebrate Nashville's recovery from the city's major flood in 2010. Tourism has been up in the area for the last 55 months in a row, he said.

The full article:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/06/09/nashville-fireworks-july-show-largest/28729845/

• Like 1

30. :cry:

I "vaguely" recall turning 29, when I lived in the Akron-Canton OH area.  My overwhelming preoccupation was to try to do things (even making up half of 'em) – as many as I could cram into 1 year, before I was due to hit 30, as if doing anything after that mark would have been meaningless.  But it never got better, because I've conceived that same notion 3 times since, with that single-aught-second-digit syndrome.  Finally, there's ingratiating solace just in knowing that I've got some company in these pages.  They might not internalize it as I have, but they do know who they are. :fun:

-==-

• Like 1

Just a random observation from town today. As I'm sure most work has stopped at construction sites around the city for the weekend, I noticed most of the cranes have a US flag hanging from the main hoist. I saw at least 6-7 of these. Classy touch guys.

Edited by nashvillwill