Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Great article.  Nashville truly is a global city in terms of name recognition.  How Raleigh has flights to London and Nashville doesn't just blows my mind, unless it's just a leftover from when Raleigh was an AA hub. 

It may have to do with the British drug company Glaxosmithkline having such a large presence in Raleigh.

• Like 1

For some of you with development experience, what's the tallest hotel Nashville could support?  I'm talking room night prices vs. the cost of going over that 30-40 story glass ceiling we seem to have.

With our need for full-service rooms, it really seems like someone would take a chance on building at least a 4* and break that 40 story barrier.

Speaking of condos, if Nashville does get a 40+ story hotel, it very well could include a residential component (since that form of mixed use seems to be all the rage).

If Bloom is able to lure Four Seasons to the Gulch and build tall, I would pretty much guarantee residential would be a component of the tower.

• Like 2

If Bloom is able to lure Four Seasons to the Gulch and build tall, I would pretty much guarantee residential would be a component of the tower.

Has there been any substance recently to this Gulch hotel thing? They're running out of sites to build on...

For some of you with development experience, what's the tallest hotel Nashville could support?  I'm talking room night prices vs. the cost of going over that 30-40 story glass ceiling we seem to have.

With our need for full-service rooms, it really seems like someone would take a chance on building at least a 4* and break that 40 story barrier.

According to Tony G at the November forum meet: "The average luxury  hotel room costs $450,000 per ROOM to build." For example the Renaissance Hotel has 673 rooms on 20 floors. That is $302,850,000 to build the same hotel today. That is for a luxury hotel, so a 40 story hotel is going to be $600,000,000 minimum. That is a lot of money.

Edited by Paramount747
  • Like 1

According to Tony G at the November forum meet: "The average luxury  hotel room costs $450,000 per ROOM to build." For example the Renaissance Hotel has 673 rooms on 20 floors. That is $302,850,000 to build the same hotel today. That is for a luxury hotel, so a 40 story hotel is going to be $600,000,000 minimum. That is a lot of money.

It is, but those numbers will vary by project.   e.g., the Westin at 27 stories and 452 rooms is a $119M project ($263k per room).   Not sure if that's the type of luxury hotel Tony was talking about, but the Westin will likely be comparable to or better than (in terms of full service) the Renaissance.    

It is, but those numbers will vary by project.   e.g., the Westin at 27 stories and 452 rooms is a $119M project ($263k per room).   Not sure if that's the type of luxury hotel Tony was talking about, but the Westin will likely be comparable to or better than (in terms of full service) the Renaissance.    

Tony's $450K per key estimate is accurate (at least on the low end, depending on market) for a *luxury* hotel - he is talking 4.5 or 5 stars.  A 4 star like the Renaissance or the Westin is less - $275K per key is a reasonable estimate.  

This report provides a decent overview:  http://www.boutique-hospitality.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/HVS-Hotel-Development-Cost-Survey-20132014.pdf

Edited by RonCamp
  • Like 3

Tony's $450K per key estimate is accurate (at least on the low end, depending on market) for a *luxury* hotel - he is talking 4.5 or 5 stars.  A 4 star like the Renaissance or the Westin is less - $275K per key is a reasonable estimate.  

This report provides a decent overview:  http://www.boutique-hospitality.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/HVS-Hotel-Development-Cost-Survey-20132014.pdf

Thanks.   Good info.  

driving around today I have realized that there is so much being built or under construction in the downtown core that even coming on here everyday I can't keep up with it....

for example, whats going up on Hayes St between 20th and 21st, sort of behind Sitar?

and, over on Divison St next to the Music Row Best Western

someone do this math for me, 

what is the cost of all the buildings currently under construction.  lets make it easy and say only within the inner interstate loop.  

and I mean actually under construction, so the garage where 505 cst will be counts but not the tower.  dont count top golf but do count the amphitheater and new riverfront parks.  basically anything where concrete is being poured or like the garage i mentioned, there is no way it doesn't happen.

Im just curious.

driving around today I have realized that there is so much being built or under construction in the downtown core that even coming on here everyday I can't keep up with it....

for example, whats going up on Hayes St between 20th and 21st, sort of behind Sitar?

On Division...that's Crescent, I believe.  

Parking garage behind Sitar.

Crescent Music Row on Division.

• Like 1

Yes...we could really use a non-stop to London now.  Maybe even Paris one day.

But, couldn't Parisians fly non-stop to Atlanta and then here? It would only be one stop.

Yes, there are any number of one stops to Paris from Nashville including Atlanta, NY, Cincinnati, Chicago, Minneapolis to name a few.  Surprisingly, there are actually very few European cities that are not one stops from Nashville and the connections are not bad, the prices are what most would consider to be fairly high however. 

• Like 1

The Tennessee burger is the vegetarian option?  I wonder if they're trying to be ironic.

Edit:  Scratch that--the fried potato hashbrown cakes replace the bun, not the burger patty.  That sounds more appropriately branded than I'd originally thought.

Edited by ruraljuror

Yes...we could really use a non-stop to London now.  Maybe even Paris one day.

But, couldn't Parisians fly non-stop to Atlanta and then here? It would only be one stop.

For some reason Europeans seem to hate having to change planes in the US.  They'd much rather change planes in Europe in order to get to the US, or take a train to a gateway city in Europe and then fly non-stop to the US.  (I don't get it, either.)  Of course, I'm talking about the joe schmoe European travelers and not the business people.  I do know that the number of French tourists visiting SLC has risen dramatically since Delta started its non-stop seasonal SLC-CDG flight a few years ago.

Edited by jmtunafish

The Tennessee burger is the vegetarian option?  I wonder if they're trying to be ironic.

Edit:  Scratch that--the fried potato hashbrown cakes replace the bun, not the burger patty.  That sounds more appropriately branded than I'd originally thought.

I honestly have no idea why it's called a Tennessee Burger.  A potato cake as the hamburger bun?  Do we do that in TN?  But this particularly restaurant isn't the only one to get it wrong.  Even McDonald's in France is kind of clueless about things like this.  They have a "Florida Beef Burger" that has tortilla chips and salsa on top of the hamburger patty.  ??