Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

I suppose you can add to that list waiting on schedule for the new TN State Museum, which was just funded (most of it anyway) in the new FY State Budget. 

According to this....(Tennessean)... they have $120 million, but still need to raise $40 million more in donations. Fund raising begins in September.

The building will be located in the northwest corner of the Mall and not across from the Ball Park as earlier renderings showed.

Dallas-based apartment developer is scouting Nashville. It just shows how hot and on the scene our market is now, almost everyone wants in!

StreetLights makes move on Nashville, hires local site scout http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/blog/morning_call/2015/07/streetlights-makes-move-on-nashville-hires-local.html

Edited by NashRugger
  • Like 1

Things I'm waiting on....(with a reasonable expectation of it actually occurring soon)(that rules out West End Summit news)

1...Virgin Hotel to announce construction date

2...222 2nd Avenue renderings

3...General massing plan for Uptown/Lifeway project

4...Rendering for Lifeway Building

5...Announcement regarding Hard Rock Hotel rumors at 1st and KVB.

6...Announcement regarding Federal Courthouse Construction date.

PHofKS, you're like the head butcher who's just run our of fresh meat to dress (or the timberwolf waiting to pounce on it).

-==-

• Like 1

This year's winning "You're so Nashville if" winner has me in stitches...

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville/26th-annual-you-are-so-nashville-if/Content?oid=5302807

First Place

You're afraid Bob Mueller's mustache will be torn down to build a high-rise apartment building

—Zack Bennett

EDIT: Bob Mueller's response on Twitter:

no fear the Stache is protected by the Historical Commission

Edited by dmillsphoto
  • Like 4

The only item I ever submitted to the contest (and I happened to think it was a good one) was "You're so Nashville if you think the Bicentennial Mall will be as big a flop as Fountain Square." (Because, sadly, some naysayers actually thought that Bicentennial Mall was going to be a shopping destination!)

• Like 1

I was really shocked that channel 5 led off the 10:00 newscast with this story. Whiny folks beotching that bridge lighting has spoiled their little city-view balcony paradise! Cry me a river!!! (And build a well-lit bridge over it, too)

I saw the video and allI could do was groan. I will say for everyone person like her there are a 1000 more that love it. If she doesn't like it then she needs to move and let someone that does enjoy the view move into her unit.

Well then...  That brings up a new kind of agenda.  The city should push to light up ALL the bridges, and green-ways/bike trails ─ even mandate the of outline lighting of the core buildings of both high and low stature, Houston-style ─

55b113fd606aa_houstonnite-b.thumb.jpg.a1

...with the same programmable LED technology.  Make 'em have to light up at certain times of the evening and night, from Cutty Sark Gin yellow and hot-pink fuchsia, to the amusingly tacky combinations seen on the Regal Hollywood 27 neon at One Hundred Oaks.

That should go far to make the crap come out in the wash, and drive their @$$'s away, to establish a more stabilized, less entitled-feeling pool of urban living, more suitable for the downtown core.  I never was told DT was to be catered to the Belle Meade privileged.

-==-

These people whose apartments have a direct view of the newly enlightened KVB bridge don't appreciate what they have.    Those apartments will be the ones in demand!    

I was in Miami last year and my hotel room had a direct view of the Miami Tower.   (the video below was my view)    Loved it!   I left the blinds open all night so my room would slowly change colors all night.  Very cool.    

Slightly off-topic, but I thought you folks might enjoy a fascinating post from last Friday by a guy I went to high school with. He goes into some history of the three stars in the Tennessee flag and how these stars represent the stark ideological differences between the three regions of the state during the Civil War era. As I read it, I was thinking of how we have discussed in the past the ill feelings Memphis and Nashville seem to share towards each other.

10411231_719290374831_704629936480225984

During the American Civil War, East Tennessee supported the Union and sought to break away and become its own state.

Any Tennessean can explain to you the symbology of the Tennessee state flag, which features three white stars in an oval field of blue against a red background. Just as the current U.S. flag has 50 stars representing the 50 states, the Tennessee flag has three stars representing the Grand Divisions of Tennessee. We believe that within our single state exists three mini-states that tremendously differ historically, politically, geographically, and culturally.

East Tennessee was an early supporter for Lincoln’s Republican party and there were scant slaves in the region due to the few plantations dotting the Smoky mountains and its foothills. This was very different from Democrat-controlled Middle and West Tennessee and its large plantations.

On February 9, 1861 the citizens of Tennessee voted on a referendum to have a secession convention. The entire state . . .

Click through to read the rest--it's really quite interesting.

Edited by Vrtigo
  • Like 4

I haven't posted to this site in years... but I'm an avid reader and thought it was high time to get back in. Anyways, I'm a native Nashvillian who has now lived in Chicago for several years. Believe it or not, new lights and buildings here get the same types of complaints as this bridge. They plan a new skyscraper and the neighbors complain about the shadows it would cast! The shadows!! You live in highrise yourself in downtown Chicago, what did you expect? Anyways, I think the bridge looks amazing! I don't get to come back to Nashville enough, so I rely on pictures and news from this site, and I'm loving this! I think people just don't like to see change within their neighborhoods once they get used to the environment. Will this change colors and light up for different events/holidays? Any other pictures of the new amphitheater?

• Like 2