Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

13 hours ago, nashmoney said:

- Overall everyone enjoyed their visit to Nashville. Only complaints I heard was that downtown didn't seem as diverse as other cities they have visited.

I'm presuming they were very disappointed in the lack regarding skin tones of the tourists that come from all over, given that there was no elaboration and given the weird state of the culture. You could turn that around and given the historical demographic of the people who bought the records produced in Nashville over the last 70 years, Elvis' included, maybe wonder at the lack of  imagination on the part of the complainants. Imagination could on the other hand run wild, like imagine people transported in time back to renaissance Europe, or Viking times Scandinavia or revolutionary industrial England and what disappointment awaits them there regarding "diverse" or whatever.

Edited by dragonfly
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Not diverse in what ways? I have a good idea what they were talking about, but I want to hear it from their POV. My guess is that the DT shopping sort of sucks. No large, big box stores like you would find in a traditional large downtown. Downtown also lacks a diversity of other types of services type stores to fill the needs of the residents downtown. That will have to come sooner or later.

I think you’re on the right track. People I bring downtown, all kinda say that same things. Not much shopping, but a lot of bars! And all redneck country folks where’s the diversity? Just passing on what I always hear from folks not from here.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but what’s up with the sudden influx of ads on this forum? They are everywhere, and even dissecting posts. Hopefully it’s not just on my devices, is anyone else noticing this?

No ads in my feed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Luvemtall said:

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but what’s up with the sudden influx of ads on this forum? They are everywhere, and even dissecting posts. Hopefully it’s not just on my devices, is anyone else noticing this?

I've never seen an ad on this forum but I'm on a Windows desktop computer so it might be different. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

I believe that might refer to the phone app, which is riddled with pop ups. I don't use it for that reason. 

Yeah, I think you’re right. I’m usually on my phone when I’m posting. I don’t have much time available to use a desktop or tablet. Does anyone know of a way to get rid of such ads from a iPhone?

52 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Time to build Amazon 3?  Nashville appears to be undersupplied with office space in the pipeline.

From Sophia Young at NBJ:  https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2024/05/08/jll-nashville-office-development-pipeline-shortage.html

More than one-third of the 2.1 million square feet of under-construction office space is already preleased and leasing momentum has continued to prove strong over the past few months. That combined with the diminishing pipeline could lead to a shortage in Nashville office space in the next few years. “There is a chance [Nashville office could be under supplied.] With the way things are going, we are a few large corporate relocations away from experiencing a shortage of well-located, Class A office space in Nashville,” Tom Hooper, executive managing director at JLL’s Nashville office, told the Business Journal.

Agree, I have said from the beginning they shouldn’t delay on any office building. It takes years  to construct these buildings, getting them past any downturn or temporary hurdles. If the economy was to collapse before completion, that’s just a risk in the game. No difference then not having product to deliver when it’s actually needed, they lose money either way. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

I’m almost always viewing this site on my iPhone using the DuckDuckGo app (which, I believe, features ad blocking)

I started paying the site $20 out of appreciation and that eliminates ads, too.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Time to build Amazon 3?  Nashville appears to be undersupplied with office space in the pipeline.

From Sophia Young at NBJ:  https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2024/05/08/jll-nashville-office-development-pipeline-shortage.html

More than one-third of the 2.1 million square feet of under-construction office space is already preleased and leasing momentum has continued to prove strong over the past few months. That combined with the diminishing pipeline could lead to a shortage in Nashville office space in the next few years. “There is a chance [Nashville office could be under supplied.] With the way things are going, we are a few large corporate relocations away from experiencing a shortage of well-located, Class A office space in Nashville,” Tom Hooper, executive managing director at JLL’s Nashville office, told the Business Journal.

Doesn't that mean that 2/3 of the office space is not leased though...

• Like 2

On 5/8/2024 at 8:58 AM, Luvemtall said:

I've been fighting them for at least six months and that's on my desktop computer.  I just figured it was a decision made by UP to monetize their platform.  The ads are really annoying, yet I love this forum so much that I have just dealt with it.  Now I'm wondering why some of us don't get them.

• Like 3

The Urban Land Institute Nashville held its annual Excellence in Development Awards.  Coverage at CityNowNext here:

https://citynownext.com/2024/05/15/uli-nashville-excellence-in-development-award-winners-2024/

Also a story at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2024/05/16/uli-nashville-reveals-excellence-in-development.html

• Like 4

Random thought.  One of the things that was so cool about the original 2nd & Peabady proposal was the curves used in the designs of both towers.  It's a common trait of many of my favorite towers around the world.  It's why I like thFirst Horizon/City Center tower andit's a huge part of why the JWMarriott stands out.  Hope that it won't be long before another proposal brings a couple more curves our way.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, bnacincy said:

Sad to see our West Tennessee cities losing population-hopefully that will change sometime hopefully soon.

Yeah, it's tragic, hopefully Memphis can turn things around the way Detroit has started to. Unfortunately, recently saw this analysis in the New York Times on gun violence that singles out Memphis as a place with high crime that continues to intensify: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2024/05/14/us/gun-homicides-data.html  . Not that Nashville is doing all that great by the same metrics, either.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, bnacincy said:

Sad to see our West Tennessee cities losing population-hopefully that will change sometime hopefully soon.

Yeah, it's a bummer to see. Memphis has got to start bringing in well-paying jobs, and attracting growth that way. The region is sluggish with well paying opportunity growth, and that is seen in its drop with city and metro area population, unfortunately.

Crime is also a problem not only in reality, but with nationwide perception (which is not true in many areas of the city).

I'd love to see the city of Memphis start to boom and grow well.

• Like 3