Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

14 hours ago, Nashville Cliff said:

Ask Detroit how that worked out in the long run. ;)

I would, but their cellphone got cut off... ;)

Nashville is a bit different than Detroit. There are 3 major industries that are driving the local economy (Healthcare, Automobile Manufacturing and digging big holes only to let them fill with water....or was it Music Industry?). One reason Nashville did a lot better than other economies during the recession is because of the diversity. Now, say if Nissan took a dive, the economy would suffer, but there is still a lot to fall back on. Detroit didn't have these other industries to continue on. A big city with fleeing residents because there are no jobs, and now no tax dollars, doesn't usually end well. I'd say there is plenty of life left in the automotive industry as well, but only as long as you are innovative and willing to adapt to changes. The big 3 struggled with that and the Japanese flooded the market with their superior products. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, satalac said:

I would, but their cellphone got cut off... ;)

Nashville is a bit different than Detroit. There are 3 major industries that are driving the local economy (Healthcare, Automobile Manufacturing and digging big holes only to let them fill with water....or was it Music Industry?). One reason Nashville did a lot better than other economies during the recession is because of the diversity. Now, say if Nissan took a dive, the economy would suffer, but there is still a lot to fall back on. Detroit didn't have these other industries to continue on. A big city with fleeing residents because there are no jobs, and now no tax dollars, doesn't usually end well. I'd say there is plenty of life left in the automotive industry as well, but only as long as you are innovative and willing to adapt to changes. The big 3 struggled with that and the Japanese flooded the market with their superior products. 

Yep.  I know.  It was just a quip in response to the comment about how important the auto industry has been to Nashville's economy lately.  I'm glad we are diversified.  I grew up in one of those Midwestern towns that had put all of their eggs in a GM basket.

• Like 2

^ ^ ^  I would say that one of the primary reasons that Nashville is booming right now is a broad diversity in its financial sectors that are all doing well currently.  Here are the primary drivers, in no particular order:

Healthcare/Health Insurance

Government (local, State, and Federal)

Education (at least 10 universities/colleges in metro)

Tourism/Convention/Hospitality

Music/Touring 

Auto/parts manufacturing

Other Manufacturing/distribution/transportation

Publishing

and…of course…Construction.

• Like 1

Haha funny you posted that picture. Right before came UP I was looking at the skycams and thought the very same thing when I saw the view. It's rare that the camera is showing so much. Going to look so different in 5-10 years.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Whatever that short stumpy building is to the right of 1212 turns out to be a major addition to the skyline, at least from this angle, because it finally gives us something that bridges the visual gap between downtown and SoBro!

I believe that's the W Hotel and Residences in the Gulch.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, VSRJ said:

^ Awesome shot, but this angle illustrates the need for development in this area -- hard to tell what year this was taken (at least for this new amateur Nashvillian).

Exactly.  I know it shouldn't, but it kinda annoys me that even ten years from now, after all of these towers are completed, this will still likely be, for whatever reason, the go-to image of the Nashville skyline, and it'll probably look exactly the same then, too.  I mean it's a nice shot from a symmetry standpoint, but it doesn't exactly do much to promote Nashville as the dynamic and ever-changing city that it is.  

Edited by BnaBreaker

photographers are always going to prefer shooting on the bridge for various reasons (stability, lighting, depth, among others).

Yes, the east side of the river, with a wider frame, will show a greater view of our changing skyline, but, you should get used to this view in terms of photos

I've never liked that photo of the Nashville skyline.  I also wish they would stop using that angle on various HGTV shows.  It  has no depth to it.  

505 will probably be blocked by the AT&T building even with it being 40 stories.  Keep in mind it's a residential building so it won't be as tall as a 40 story office building.  Unless they are really going to have very high ceilings on each floor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VSRJ said:

^ Awesome shot, but this angle illustrates the need for development in this area -- hard to tell what year this was taken (at least for this new amateur Nashvillian).

It was taken today.  Watched them fly by my window.  You can see that the Renaissance Hotel is partially painted, giving away the time frame a bit.  Since the bulk of that area is lower Broad and Second Avenue, I hope the only serious development you see there is the project at the old convention center site and the 505.

Edited by Nashville Cliff

1 minute ago, Nashville Cliff said:

It was taken today.  Watched them fly by my window.  You can see that the Renaissance Hotel is partially painted, giving away the time frame a bit.  Since the bulk of that area is lower Broad and Second Avenue, I hope the only serious development you see there is the project at the old convention center site.

I was sitting at the light at 8th and Commerce with the top down when they went over.   Scared the bejeezus out of me.    

• Like 1

A new project at corner of 20th Ave. North and Hayes.  Not sure what it is.  Used to be a one-story medical building, but that was razed several months ago, and now there is foundational work being done---or perhaps it is just sewer line work at that intersection.  The lot is about 75 ft. along Hayes, then it butts-up against the new Hayes Street Garage (8 levels--6 above ground, 2 below, 640 auto capacity), that will be connected via elevated walkways to St. Thomas Midtown. 

20th and hayes foundation and Hayes Street garage, June, 2016.jpg