Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

On 5/2/2024 at 3:33 AM, markhollin said:

TBT: Viridian construction, 2006.

Viridian construction, 2006 x.jpg

I would not post the copyrighted Emporis photos. Even though Emporis is no longer around they were bought by CoStar which owns all of those images and rights.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

The online Tennessean posts slide shows from decades past. This month includes photos from May 1964. Here's one I found fascinating with the caption that was included for the picture in the print edition.

Drane Harrison, left, display manager for Cain-Sloan Co., surveys the location of the 100,000-seat sports arena proposed for Nashville as Irving Hand of the Metro Planning Commission, explains details using a scale model on May 28, 1964. The model is part of a detailed exhibit of Nashville's future on display in the old Loveman’s building.

Drane Harrison, left, display manager for Cain-Sloan Co., surveys the location of the 100,000-seat sports arena
proposed for Nashville as Irving Hand of the Metro Planning Commission, explains details using a scale model
on May 28, 1964. The model is part of a detailed exhibit of Nashville's future on display in the old Loveman’s building.

Jack Corn / The Tennessean

One has to wonder... if that was a typo and should have read 10,000.  If it wasn't a typo, then one has to wonder who proposed a 100,000 seat sports arena for Nashville in 1964 and why?

• Like 2

Looking at the surrounding structures and the scale of this model. I’d have to say that it definitely looks like 100,000 could be accurate, and apparently it was for Baseball. Maybe Nashville was a perspective candidate for MLB back in that era also, or just speculation on one’s perspective. Maybe a old time native might have the correct answer.

8 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

Looking at the surrounding structures and the scale of this model. I’d have to say that it definitely looks like 100,000 could be accurate, and apparently it was for Baseball. Maybe Nashville was a perspective candidate for MLB back in that era also, or just speculation on one’s perspective. Maybe a old time native might have the correct answer.

Define "old time Native" ... that might be me... LOL!!!

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

Someone that was living here at that time, was that you? Do you recall any talk of such sports arena?

Yes.  And, no.  I would have only been 2 years old.  That being said, I've heard many stories in my life of varied aspirations for our beloved city.  Some that could be substantiated.  Others, well mostly urban rumors and exaggerations.  I can't say that I ever heard about plans for a 100,000 seat stadium.  Maybe some other old time natives might know.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

The online Tennessean posts slide shows from decades past. This month includes photos from May 1964. Here's one I found fascinating with the caption that was included for the picture in the print edition.

Drane Harrison, left, display manager for Cain-Sloan Co., surveys the location of the 100,000-seat sports arena proposed for Nashville as Irving Hand of the Metro Planning Commission, explains details using a scale model on May 28, 1964. The model is part of a detailed exhibit of Nashville's future on display in the old Loveman’s building.

Drane Harrison, left, display manager for Cain-Sloan Co., surveys the location of the 100,000-seat sports arena
proposed for Nashville as Irving Hand of the Metro Planning Commission, explains details using a scale model
on May 28, 1964. The model is part of a detailed exhibit of Nashville's future on display in the old Loveman’s building.

Jack Corn / The Tennessean

I bet if we dusted off this stadium deal it would still has a better shot than the Ritz at the rate it's going.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

Someone that was living here at that time, was that you? Do you recall any talk of such sports arena?

I recall NOTHING of that stadium proposal at all.  The previous big sports news was for the City Auditorium built on 4th Avenue at the new James Robertson Parkway in 1962.  According to the photo, the  proposed stadium was shown about where Bicentennial mall is now.  The model shows a massive clearing of literally EVERYTHING from the railroad north past Jefferson Street with some cheesy low density redevelopment.  Never mind that the old Sulphur Dell Ball Park was still in use and not yet fallen to DemoDerby.  The city was still reeling from the massive destruction of the JRP and Nashville had NO sports other than College, ice hockey and minor league baseball.  WTF  would possibly use this facility.  As an architecture student at the time, I certainly would have heard of this proposal if it had any teeth at all.   I think this was some isolated "urban renewal" idea someone cooked up of which there was a plethera of them at the time.  This was before the inner interstate loop was built and was way before Metrocenter was conceived.   I see in the photo that the model looks to be in some sort of storeroom rather than on public display and probably never saw the light of day or left the developer's ofiice.  I think this is not a project that ever saw much possiblity and  probably did not see much interest.  Remember, at this time, the suburban malls did not exist (even Hundred Oaks) ,  there was no downtown interstate I 65  (it ended at Harding),  Second Avenue was still actively warehouse businesses and Church Steet was still the city's main shopping district.  I think this was pie-in-the-sky.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Baronakim said:

I recall NOTHING of that stadium proposal at all.  The previous big sports news was for the City Auditorium built on 4th Avenue at the new James Robertson Parkway in 1962.  According to the photo, the  proposed stadium was shown about where Bicentennial mall is now.  The model shows a massive clearing of literally EVERYTHING from the railroad north past Jefferson Street with some cheesy low density redevelopment.  Never mind that the old Sulphur Dell Ball Park was still in use and not yet fallen to DemoDerby.  The city was still reeling from the massive destruction of the JRP and Nashville had NO sports other than College, ice hockey and minor league baseball.  WTF  would possibly use this facility.  As an architecture student at the time, I certainly would have heard of this proposal if it had any teeth at all.   I think this was some isolated "urban renewal" idea someone cooked up of which there was a plethera of them at the time.  This was before the inner interstate loop was built and was way before Metrocenter was conceived.   I see in the photo that the model looks to be in some sort of storeroom rather than on public display and probably never saw the light of day or left the developer's ofiice.  I think this is not a project that ever saw much possiblity and  probably did not see much interest.  Remember, at this time, the suburban malls did not exist (even Hundred Oaks) ,  there was no downtown interstate I 65  (it ended at Harding),  Second Avenue was still actively warehouse businesses and Church Steet was still the city's main shopping district.  I think this was pie-in-the-sky.

Harding Mall had already broken ground and was actively under construction in May 1964. Green Hills had been around since 1955 as a shopping strip, though had yet to become an indoor mall. I never heard of this stadium, either. A closer glance at the model of downtown, I recall this was part of an extensive urban renewal proposal at the time, which included demolishing enormous swaths of "outdated" 19th century buildings (look at 1st-2nd Avenue north of Broadway up to Union, for example) in favor of low-to-mid-rise office buildings. Had this gone through, there wouldn't be much left of the "old." Downtown and environs would've looked like a giant '60s Modernist Mies van der Rohe horror.

• Like 1

It should also be noted that where that so-called proposed 100,000 seat stadium was to be built would have also caused the demolition of the farmers market that had been built on that site in the mid to late 1950's.  It is my understanding that when the  then "new" farmers market was built it too caused a rift because it took out homes and businesses in the Black community.  However, at least the farmers market had a benefit to the community in terms of having fresh produce nearby.  Although given the times, some of the farmers refused to sell their produce to Black people and Black farmers were not as welcomed and their numbers at the market were limited.  I point that out to connect that during that period in the late 50's was when construction of I-40 started.  I believe it was completed in Nashville around 1966.  I can only imagine the outrage there would have been if the city wanted to then destroy farmers market to build a stadium after the community had been ravaged by the path of I-40. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Auntie Yock said:

Harding Mall had already broken ground and was actively under construction in May 1964. Green Hills had been around since 1955 as a shopping strip, though had yet to become an indoor mall. I never heard of this stadium, either. A closer glance at the model of downtown, I recall this was part of an extensive urban renewal proposal at the time, which included demolishing enormous swaths of "outdated" 19th century buildings (look at 1st-2nd Avenue north of Broadway up to Union, for example) in favor of low-to-mid-rise office buildings. Had this gone through, there wouldn't be much left of the "old." Downtown and environs would've looked like a giant '60s Modernist Mies van der Rohe horror.

Absolutely it would have been dreadful.  I didn't mention Green Hills for shopping as it was no more to me than an upscale Madison Square and an enclave for Nashville's well-to-do.   I aways thought of Harding Mall as a huge joke as it was terribly designed.   Most of y'all probably would not know  the One Hundred Oaks  situation was rather nuts as politically the mall had NO interstate access at all!   Armory Drive exit onlycame YEARS later.  However, we would not have the "historic Nashville" bellyaching so much now as there would have been no historic Nashville left IMO.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Baronakim said:

Absolutely it would have been dreadful.  I didn't mention Green Hills for shopping as it was no more to me than an upscale Madison Square and an enclave for Nashville's well-to-do.   I aways thought of Harding Mall as a huge joke as it was terribly designed.   Most of y'all probably would not know  the One Hundred Oaks  situation was rather nuts as politically the mall had NO interstate access at all!   Armory Drive exit onlycame YEARS later.  However, we would not have the "historic Nashville" bellyaching so much now as there would have been no historic Nashville left IMO.

LMAO at the reference to Madison Square... I'm sure some noses are turned up at that reference... 🤣

I remember the traffic around 100 Oaks and there being no interstate access.  I know you said years later for the Armory Drive exit, but to be clear for those who may not know, it was DECADES later.  By the time it was added the mall was going through its second rehab and was heading towards life support.

• Like 1