Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

21 minutes ago, TNinVB said:

I'm curious about the building with the mural of the woman. Why are the windows boarded up and what where larger openings that are boarded up? Whas there another building connected at one time?

The buildings that once abutted the Cornerstone building (one was the old Harvey's dept store on Church) were torn down some years ago.   The demolition exposed the rough walls and former door/window openings in the Cornerstone building, which were crudely bricked over and left exposed for all these years.   The gaps were boarded over and painted about a week ago in anticipation of the murals.

Updates of progress on 3 large 8th Avenue South developments, and a pivotal lot that is now available nearby:

Lennar on 8th complex beginning to show first floor movement around the central parking garage. Approximately 300 units and 5 stories tall. This is looking east from the corner of 8th and Hillview Heights St.

Lennar on 8th 1, May 2016.jpg

Lennar on 8th looking east from hill above the Eight South Complex along Elliot Avenue:

Lennar on 8th 2, May 2016.jpg

Eighth South foundational work being done.  Will 326 apartments (5 stories) and some retail with a central parking garage. This is looking NW from the corner of Inverness Avenue and 8th Avenue South:

Broadstone 8 South 2, May 2016.jpg

Looking south along 8th Avenue at the front area of the Eighth South complex:

Broadstone 8 South, May 2016.jpg

The Broadstone Eighth South Condominiums (52 units, 5 stories, and 7 retail spaces on ground floor) will take up this narrower strip on the north side of the Eighth South project.  Looking west from near intersection of 8th Avenue South and Craighead:

8 South Condos & Braodstone 8 South, May 2016.jpg

The Batson Motors Used Car property is officially up for sale or lease. it takes up the southeastern corner of the huge block that encapsulates the Eighth South complex (which you can see on the hill behind it and to the right).  The Batson lot is about 200 feet along  8th Avenue South, and 170 feet deep. Prime spot for a restaurant.  The owner, Paul Batson, has been fieldling lots of inquiries.

Batson Motors, 8 South, May, 2016.jpg

Edited by markhollin
  • Like 3

On 5/8/2016 at 9:22 AM, Nathan_in_DC said:

It's amazing how much a coat of paint can spruce up a drab, bare concrete wall. Huge improvement to one of the more prominent skyline buildings.

I couldn't disagree more.  It's sad we live in an age when people are afraid of both color and texture.    

While I'd prefer the texture of aged concrete, if you're going to paint it go for something more than gray.  It's like the crap landscaping you see everywhere that looks like it just came off a truck from Lowes, fountain grass and little conical hollies.  What ever happened to making a statement?

Even rich people are now going for spic and span and bland; they used to strive for the old money look.

Old%20Garden_zpsmihqvety.jpg

Edited by Neigeville2
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Neigeville2 said:

I couldn't disagree more.  It's sad we live in an age when people are afraid of both color and texture.    

While I'd prefer the texture of aged concrete, if you're going to paint it go for something more than gray.  It's like the crap landscaping you see everywhere that looks like it just came off a truck from Lowes, fountain grass and little conical hollies.  What ever happened to making a statement?

Even rich people are now going for spic and span and bland; they used to strive for the old money look.

Old%20Garden_zpsmihqvety.jpg

I tend to agree 100% with the gist of your post, but I still think that a striking coat of charcoal colored paint looks good on the Renaissance (and any otherwise featureless, brutalist type building from that era), and I fail to see how preference of dark, sleek paint to bare, unadorned concrete is a fear of color and texture. Aged concrete like the picture above is a very different case, and I am a HUGE proponent of neoclassical architecture. Unfortunately, Renaissance is just a flat, bare, concrete wall. Having various other colors would be a great improvement, but the grey does its own interesting thing. There's a building across the street from my apartment that just underwent a huge remodeling, including a colorful repainting of its exterior and a large mural on a retaining wall along the street that does wonders for street activation and interaction, and I love it. When I get back to DC, I'll take pics for illustration.

Edited by Nathan_in_DC
  • Like 3