Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, bigeasy said:

Where was that last picture taken? I have never seen that angle of Nashville before.

:ph34r:     

Great pics of the sunset though! Thanks for sharing. 

It appears to have been shot with zoom in the northwesterly direction, from the deck and north side of the Seigenthaler Pedestrian (nee-"Shelby Street") bridge.  Either from that, or from a level outside the historic Bridge Building itself.  It the only aerial vantage point that I can imagine, with which one could envision at that view.

Edited by rookzie

2 hours ago, bigeasy said:

Where was that last picture taken? I have never seen that angle of Nashville before.

:ph34r:     

Great pics of the sunset though! Thanks for sharing. 

I know, I know. I've only been here eight months. I think I can take one or two more of pictures from there before my Nashville resident card is revoked. In my defense, the focus was the sunset. That's probably my least favorite angle of the skyline. It looks almost unchanged from 10+ years ago.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, VSRJ said:

I know, I know. I've only been here eight months. I think I can take one or two more of pictures from there before my Nashville resident card is revoked. In my defense, the focus was the sunset. That's probably my least favorite angle of the skyline. It looks almost unchanged from 10+ years ago.

:D Oh no hate from me, I just wanted to give you a hard time.  I have lived here my whole life and I still take photos from there every time I walk the bridge haha. Maybe that just shows how much we love our city? We know it is the least flattering angle, but we still have to take it and share to others. (Side note I took a photo from that angle when I was in high school that my mom framed. I have to look at it every time I am at my parent's house and it really really bugs me)

But seriously, looking at the picture, what has changed over 10 years? I guess UBS building has a face lift, but is anything new?

10 hours ago, bigeasy said:

:D Oh no hate from me, I just wanted to give you a hard time.  I have lived here my whole life and I still take photos from there every time I walk the bridge haha. Maybe that just shows how much we love our city? We know it is the least flattering angle, but we still have to take it and share to others. (Side note I took a photo from that angle when I was in high school that my mom framed. I have to look at it every time I am at my parent's house and it really really bugs me)

But seriously, looking at the picture, what has changed over 10 years? I guess UBS building has a face lift, but is anything new?

Aside from the newer courthouse annex and the east bank sculpture, that photo could've been taken 20 years ago.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, markhollin said:

There's a stretch of First Avenue North that most people never traverse that has a cool feel to it.  It's the section that curves to the east at the Church Street intersection, drops down while extending northward along the river, and passes under the Woodland and Main Street Bridges.

I like that stretch, too.  It connects the downtown greenway to the one in Sulphur Dell.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Nashville Cliff said:

I like that stretch, too.  It connects the downtown greenway to the one in Sulphur Dell.

Yes.   In fact, the greenway continues along the riverfront, under I-65, and follows the Metro Center levee all the way to Ted Rhodes golf course.    I love the views of the Cumberland and north bank cliffs along the MC levee.   

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SoundScan said:

Speaking of the greenway, why is it that every time I drive by First Tennessee Park the gates for the greenway are closed/locked, even when there is not a Sounds game?

Because the city inexplicably built it that way.    There was much griping on this board about this very subject when the stadium was under construction.  I still think the plan is to reconnect the greenway around the outside of the stadium when/if the Sounds ownership apartments are ever built.   But I haven't seen anything that confirms that.   

4 hours ago, markhollin said:

There's a stretch of First Avenue North that most people never traverse that has a cool feel to it.  It's the section that curves to the east at the Church Street intersection, drops down while extending northward along the river, and passes under the Woodland and Main Street Bridges.

I used to walk that stretch everyday when I worked downtown. Very beautiful part of the city that many people do not see.

• Like 1

..It's startling in this day and age that there's even a Gay Street surviving this long.  Long before the "Connector" was built as a late 20th-ccntury bypass around the county courthouse and to directly link 1st and Church in a continuous path to Gay Street, as a two-way alternative to 3rd or 4th, Gay Street proper once had been an uninterrupted roadway from First Ave. to what is now Tenth Ave.  As with the parallel Jo Johnston Ave., Gay Street got chopped up and whittled away to a 2-bit vestige, with the advent of Jas. Robertson Pkwy in the '50s, and even more so, when the portion from 5th Ave, in front of Capitol Towers, and curving down Capitol Hill to terminate at the Pkwy. near 7th and 8th, got cut off during (I believe) the 1980s [or '70s, in my absence]).  Now what fragments remain of Gay (and the eastern extreme of Jo Johnston) are separated to such an extent that any historic significance is lost or negligible, if not meaningless. -==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 2

I am really not fond of this rail bridge crossing the Cumberland just north of Jo Johnston Avenue, but I like this shot.  Perhaps several coats of silver paint and some accent night-lighting could help...but I seriously doubt that CSX has a damn to give regarding any upgraded appearances. 

CSX Bridge, June, 2016.jpg

• Like 4