Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

The pipe-burst flooding incidents at Velocity and Pine Street Flats were both fire sprinkler system related. When a fire sprinkler pipe bursts, the flow meter sets off the fire alarm--which generally can't be bypassed until the flow is stopped. Most fire departments will refuse to cut off the sprinkler supply entirely as it could endanger the rest of the building if an actual fire were to occur during the repairs.

• 3 weeks later...

A little info on Bristol's upcoming project for 12S where the current Tabernacle Church is, they've scaled back the number of units (good, IMO):

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2015/01/bristol-scales-back-apartment-plans-for-12south.html

Agreed scaling back # of units is probably a good thing. But the lack of ground floor retail is still bothersome. Also, the fact the neighborhood doesn't want ground floor retail is bizarre to me. I want every new building in my neighborhood  to at least offer something to the community.

• Like 2

Agreed scaling back # of units is probably a good thing. But the lack of ground floor retail is still bothersome. Also, the fact the neighborhood doesn't want ground floor retail is bizarre to me. I want every new building in my neighborhood  to at least offer something to the community.

Agreed.  I don't understand why you wouldn't want every new development, at least the ones on the main thoroughfare through the neighborhood, to not offer amenities the entire community can benefit from.  It's a bit worrisome to me that they're already turning down development due to concerns about traffic and parking.  These folks act like they live in Williamsburg Brooklyn or something, but the reality is that there is just a relatively small handful of restaurants and shops in 12 South, and all of them are on one street.  Is this as "urban" as an outer Nashville neighborhood is ever going to get? 

As a newer 12South resident I am all for new commercial development, but the fact that this development won't have retail seems to be to pleasing most local folks.

There is still plenty of undeveloped or un-redeveloped commercial space in 12South - the used car lot and the book store - just to name two. This will "cap" or end the commercial stretch of 12 South, like Sevier Park "caps" the southern end.

The neighborhood isn't densely populated enough (yet) to support endless new retail as long as that retail has to rely on mainly street parking. We are fairly maxed out on busy evenings on the side streets now and I don't see how we could support 3-4 new restaurants without some starting to fail for lack of customers.

As a newer 12South resident I am all for new commercial development, but the fact that this development won't have retail seems to be to pleasing most local folks.

There is still plenty of undeveloped or un-redeveloped commercial space in 12South - the used car lot and the book store - just to name two. This will "cap" or end the commercial stretch of 12 South, like Sevier Park "caps" the southern end.

The neighborhood isn't densely populated enough (yet) to support endless new retail as long as that retail has to rely on mainly street parking. We are fairly maxed out on busy evenings on the side streets now and I don't see how we could support 3-4 new restaurants without some starting to fail for lack of customers.

12South does appear to have approached (or reached) a point of saturation (given the history of "clashing" with merchants and residents), and even though Waverly-Belmont school is located on the far east side of that 12South block, at 10th and Caruthers Ave., we'll just wait and see what happens when the parking situation around W-B picks up during the day through early/mid-afternoon on week days, once W-B has reopened as an elementary school.  I wouldn't anticipate it to have much impact on the 12South activity directly, except for buses lined up  and basically shutting down 10th and student pickup swarming around 10th and escaping to 9th and 12th during those more sparse business hours in 12South.

Other than that school-bus madness during let-out, I don't see W-B school likely having much of an impact on 12South.  But still, Metro yet again probably will have buried its heads in the sand by not addressing traffic management with relevant agencies beforehand, for the re-commissioned school once it does re-open.  I'm preaching to the choir by saying that traffic in that district has long outgrown the way it had been during the late '70s, when the building was closed as a school.  I would think that they would have considered even tying into the 11th Ave. "stub" from the north to the school grounds, to provide some programmed one-way traffic movement to and from the school (along with 10th), but perhaps that already has been planned ─ I don't know ─ in consideration of the proposed massive structure augmentation currently underway.

-==-

12South does appear to have approached (or reached) a point of saturation (given the history of "clashing" with merchants and residents), and even though Waverly-Belmont school is located on the far east side of that 12South block, at 10th and Caruthers Ave., we'll just wait and see what happens when the parking situation around W-B picks up during the day through early/mid-afternoon on week days, once W-B has reopened as an elementary school.  I wouldn't anticipate it to have much impact on the 12South activity directly, except for buses lined up  and basically shutting down 10th and student pickup swarming around 10th and escaping to 9th and 12th during those more sparse business hours in 12South.

Other than that school-bus madness during let-out, I don't see W-B school likely having much of an impact on 12South.  But still, Metro yet again probably will have buried its heads in the sand by not addressing traffic management with relevant agencies beforehand, for the re-commissioned school once it does re-open.  I'm preaching to the choir by saying that traffic in that district has long outgrown the way it had been during the late '70s, when the building was closed as a school.  I would think that they would have considered even tying into the 11th Ave. "stub" from the north to the school grounds, to provide some programmed one-way traffic movement to and from the school (along with 10th), but perhaps that already has been planned ─ I don't know ─ in consideration of the proposed massive structure augmentation currently underway.

-==-

A couple of quick points -

1. They are indeed extending 11th, which will curve around right into 10th. This is presumably where the busses will pick up/drop off.

2. They are strongly considering a garage that will be a hybrid school/public garage.

A couple of quick points -

1. They are indeed extending 11th, which will curve around right into 10th. This is presumably where the busses will pick up/drop off.

2. They are strongly considering a garage that will be a hybrid school/public garage.

Nashville, Tennessee. Where there's going to be an intersection of 10th & 11th Avenues and 11th & 12th Avenues... but 11th Avenue isn't connected to itself in any way...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

^Interesting about the pro soccer team looking at it. 

What league and how high of a level are they? Are they one below MLS?

(Edit); Answered my own question. The USL

The 2015 season will feature the debuts of new USL clubs in Austin, Charlotte, Colorado Springs, Louisville, Montreal, New York, Portland, Saint Louis, Salt Lake City, Seattle, Toronto, Tulsa, and Vancouver. 

An impressive list of peer Cities and a few larger ones. Certainly outgrowing Harrisburg. A league of that scale would be appropriate for Nashville at this time.

PAJXWLARONZPTHF.20150209133905.jpg

logo.png

Edited by PHofKS

I have a friend from Philadelphia who bought in to the FC just so she could say she owned a part of a soccer team. Glad to hear they are fun games, I'll have to make it to one in the spring.

As for soccer at Greer, I hope it doesn't happen. It's just dilapidated at this point, unfortunately, and would not be a good place to watch a game. Baseball stadiums make for terrible soccer experiences. For example, DC United using RFK as a home stadium. It just sucks. The layout is all wrong, and means that there isn't a good seat to watch the game from.

Looks like Aerial is getting closer to kick off for their Wedgewood Houston development... per William...

https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2015/2/12/developer_seeks_rezoning_for_weho_mixed_use_project

I would respectfully recommend one correction to William's piece:  Aerial may have focused on single-family homes in RS-zoned areas, but Aerial has constructed quite a few two-family residences (duplexes, whether attached or detached) in R-zoned areas and also more than one cottage development in the urban core areas.  Aerial has done quite a few renovations of existing homes before and after branching out into new construction, and recently renovated a good-sized apartment complex in Hermitage.  This project could perhaps be more accurately described as Aerial's first new-construction multi-family apartment building. This particular use was requested in response to feedback from the SNAP neighborhood association that the area lacked apartments.  If I get a chance, I will report back on what happens at today's MPC hearing.  There is quite a full agenda . . . .

• Like 1

The Wedgewood item was briefly removed from the consent agenda at yesterday's MPC hearing.  UP poster Eric Malo was present at the meeting, so he may be able to advise as to the reason why the item was pulled from consent.  But by the time the lengthy consent agenda was read, whatever question there was must have been resolved because this item was added back onto the the consent agenda in time for the Commissioners' vote, where it passed without the requirement of a public hearing.  Congratulations to SNAP and to Aerial for working together to shape this plan in a manner that meets the goals of the Wedgewood-Houston neighborhood.

In other South Nashville news, John Root requested a policy change for the area around 8th/Argyle between 8th and I-65.  He requested a change to allow rezonings to mixed uses on those blocks.  I spoke with John during a brief recess in the lengthy hearing, and he shared that presently the residential-only zoning is prompting lots of duplex construction, whereas he hopes that opening the possibility for mixed uses will allow the legality of live-work arrangements that may encourage preservation of some structures under adaptive reuse plans, and may encourage more interesting small-scale mixed use or office buildings in addition to residential construction in that area.  This proposal is a policy change only that John requested to be added in to the NashvilleNext general plan update.  So this effort does not rezone any properties, but does allow for property owners to work with the Council Member on zone changes or SPs on specific properties to be considered on their individual merits.  John indicated to me that he has received positive feedback from many of the property owners and business owners in that 8th South area.  This request was approved by the Planning Commissioners.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

You can find the site plan under the Staff Reports link here: http://www.nashville.gov/Planning-Department/Meetings-Deadlines-Hearings.aspx

Metro Planning's staff recommendation is to disapprove the Specific Plan the developer has requested.

Interesting, seems mainly a height issue, as well as concerns from neighbors. The neighborhood was very agitated when the Hill project was being considered, and that has turned into a gathering point in the neighborhood it seems. Oh well, I wonder if they will scale the project down?