Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

The controversial 8-unit cottage development on White Ave in Woodland-in-Waverly was approved at yesterday's MHZC hearing.  Warning:  this is a huge file  http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2014%20Meetings/08%20Aug%2020/SR%202107,%202111,%202115%20White%20Avenue.pdf.  Lots more information than the typical MHZC docket. 

There were neighbors present to speak in opposition.  The Planning Commission and the Council approved the SP that indicates the number of units.  But the MHZC must approve the actual site plan and the height/massing of the buildings.  The Historic Zoning Commissioners were a little bit concerned about the height of the rear buildings, which according to the design guidelines must be subordinate in height and massing to the three units that face the street.  Plus, the lot rises in the rear, so those buildings have even less height to work with.  But ultimately the Commissioners approved the project and were complimentary toward the architect for working with the Historic staff to craft a proposal that limits height to 1-1/2 stories and that fits in with the historic context as well as possible.

One particular item that came out of this deliberation was that placing the cottage development on three adjacent interior block lots allowed room for a sizeable courtyard and an open feel that would not be as well achieved on just two adjacent lots.

This is a smaller development being done in Edgehill at Ward and 14th Ave S. This is across Ward from the new Midtown Hills Police Precinct.  I think I could put this in either the Music Row thread or the 12South thread as it really splits the difference.    Either way, it looks like a good development that will provide a nice transition from 12th Ave S into single and two-family streets.  I bet the views from the rooftop terrace will be nice as well. 

75EEFAA4-7D15-48D3-B45E-1BA0675401D9_zps

6150B95B-173D-4BCB-85C9-48F271318956_zps

• Like 2

Agree that's a good project for that spot on Wade, considering what it replaced.     Look for a lot more activity in that neighborhood.    The existing single family and duplex stock on streets like 14th, 15th and Villa have made for lots of affordable rental properties for a long time (see affordable housing discussion on other threads), but will ultimately succumb to overflow 12 South demand and be replaced by tall skinnies, umbilicals and other new infill.    It's already happening.    Now if we can just do something about the Edgehill Homes housing.   

• 2 weeks later...

Colonial Bakery location slated for apartments and more. I knew who won the bid, but had to wait till it was public.

Here is the story from the NBJ

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2014/09/apartments-retail-on-tap-at-site-of-former.html

This is in Berry Hill. Assuming they get this up and running, and the former Thoroughbred site gets up and running, (and add in 2300 and The Melrose), by 2020, that town is going to have by far the largest percentage of population change in Tennessee. 

As of the 2010 Census, Berry Hill had 537 residents (it had 1,551 in 1960). These four projects could add over 1,100 units (1,600-2,000 residents). That's north of 350% growth. 

• Like 2

Here is an updated rendering of the project ay 13th & Hawkins. Now 19 townhome units. Rootarch is the architect.

lE7mljH.png

From the Post

https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2014/9/12/developer_modifies_project_planned_for_gulch_area

I like this better. Personally, I'd much rather see these blocks fill in with this type of town home development than multiunit apartments with structured parking and single points of entrance.

I think this turned out for the best. For those that don't know, I live in the neighborhood and we resisted the initial plan.  The initial plan had 45 units across the road from single family homes which seemed like a fairly dramatic change in density. This, on the other hand, provides a nice transition from single and two family housing to the higher density uses that will eventually locate between these townhomes and 12th Ave.  It's my opinion that this is scaled more appropriately for the neighborhood.  

It is my understanding that these will be built in four phases (based on the four structures that comprise the entire development). They will likely take a year and a half to fully build out. 

Edited by Hey_Hey
  • Like 3

I think this turned out for the best. For those that don't know, I live in the neighborhood and we resisted the initial plan.  The initial plan had 45 units across the road from single family homes which seemed like a fairly dramatic change in density. This, on the other hand, provides a nice transition from single and two family housing to the higher density uses that will eventually locate between these townhomes and 12th Ave.  It's my opinion that this is scaled more appropriately for the neighborhood.  

It is my understanding that these will be built in four phases (based on the four structures that comprise the entire development). They will likely take a year and a half to fully build out. 

Well put, HH.

WW

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

320-unit apartment community coming to Berry Hill

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2014/10/17/lennar-buys-berry-hill-apartment-site-m/17472067/

Article on Lennar's project on Franklin Pike. Also, small tidbit regarding Lennar's M project in the Music row area.

From the article:

Elsewhere in Nashville, Lennar's plans are moving forward for M Residences, a mixed use tower on 19th Avenue South in the Music Row area that's expected to include 340 to 360 apartment units. The company recently won approval from the Metro Planning Commission and the Metro Council will take up its request for specific plan zoning on first reading on Nov 4. "Everything looks good at this point," Cassidy said.

320-unit apartment community coming to Berry Hill

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2014/10/17/lennar-buys-berry-hill-apartment-site-m/17472067/

Article on Lennar's project on Franklin Pike. Also, small tidbit regarding Lennar's M project in the Music row area.

From the article:

Elsewhere in Nashville, Lennar's plans are moving forward for M Residences, a mixed use tower on 19th Avenue South in the Music Row area that's expected to include 340 to 360 apartment units. The company recently won approval from the Metro Planning Commission and the Metro Council will take up its request for specific plan zoning on first reading on Nov 4. "Everything looks good at this point," Cassidy said.

It looks like there is a zoning appeal hearing scheduled for ANOTHER mixed use on Franklin Pike across from 23Hundred with 95 units at 2301 Franklin Pike. At least it sounds like this has retail and will straddle the Nashville/Berry Hill line.

It looks like there is a zoning appeal hearing scheduled for ANOTHER mixed use on Franklin Pike across from 23Hundred with 95 units at 2301 Franklin Pike. At least it sounds like this has retail and will straddle the Nashville/Berry Hill line.

Yes that project is on the corner and in Nashville. The Berry Hill line runs on the property line I think. I have been waiting on that one to show up. Have known about it for a couple of months.

That will be 904 units built with just these four projects......in a city of 537 in 2010! Berry Hill will probably see somewhere in the neighborhood of 400-500% growth from 2010-2020. That's incredible growth for such a small area and will hopefully support more public transit along Franklin Pike/8th Ave. I'm concerned, though, that it will never turn into a truly pedestrian friendly corridor because of how wide Franklin pk is and how fast the cars travel. It'll take a lot of work to make it inviting for pedestrians.

• Like 1

That will be 904 units built with just these four projects......in a city of 537 in 2010! Berry Hill will probably see somewhere in the neighborhood of 400-500% growth from 2010-2020. That's incredible growth for such a small area and will hopefully support more public transit along Franklin Pike/8th Ave. I'm concerned, though, that it will never turn into a truly pedestrian friendly corridor because of how wide Franklin pk is and how fast the cars travel. It'll take a lot of work to make it inviting for pedestrians.

Sidewalks, with proper crosswalks, and bike lanes would be a nice start. There's certainly plenty of room to work with.

Edited by gannman
  • Like 1

And/Or something like The Amp going all the way to Franklin.

Intriguing idea... That could be an enormous boost for this corridor--especially with all this residential going in. Imagine a reliable (and dare I say..."fast"?) means of travel between downtown and Maryland Way that could shuttle Berry Hill residents quickly in either direction.

Seems like adding a dedicated lane along this stretch might see less opposition than West End, could have a small traffic-calming effect, and improve traffic. I like it!

I'm all for it. In fact, you could have it extend all the way to Metro Center without deviating much from a straight line. Intersecting transit lines such as these would then be able to connect East Nashville with Maryland Farms and12South with West End and requiring only a single transfer.

• Like 1

Totally agree - by the time it actually got built, the line would have a tremendous amount of density, and would also connect some great music venues and restaurants. The Gulch, SoBro, 12South, Germantown, and the North Gulch would all be within walking distance (4 or 5 blocks) of such a line. This model also lends itself towards the smaller circular connector routes shooting off.

If this ever happens (and I have heard rumblings that a North/South connector such as this has at least been discussed), I think that they should learn a lesson from the AMP and stop right before 440. As much as I would love a line like this to go to Franklin, Oak Hill would have the exact same response as the Richland neighbors did with the AMP.