Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

The size is an issue, so is the location, right where the 12 South narrows, traffic is already really slow there.

It's interesting that a recent survey in the neighborhood (commissioned by the homeowners association) showed that 84% disagreed (or strongly disagreed) with the notion that there are too many retail businesses along 12 South. 83% disagreed (or strongly disagreed) that there are too many restaurants along 12 South. 63% want more restaurants. 71% want more retail. 75% don't want residential only new developments. 58% never have trouble parking near their homes with 33% sometimes having trouble. Only 9% often or always had trouble parking. The other side of this is 80% see the need for more commercial parking along 12 South. I think these results caught the board by surprise.

• Like 2

The size is an issue, so is the location, right where the 12 South narrows, traffic is already really slow there.

It's interesting that a recent survey in the neighborhood (commissioned by the homeowners association) showed that 84% disagreed (or strongly disagreed) with the notion that there are too many retail businesses along 12 South. 83% disagreed (or strongly disagreed) that there are too many restaurants along 12 South. 63% want more restaurants. 71% want more retail. 75% don't want residential only new developments. 58% never have trouble parking near their homes with 33% sometimes having trouble. Only 9% often or always had trouble parking. The other side of this is 80% see the need for more commercial parking along 12 South. I think these results caught the board by surprise.

Would be nice to see more polls published like this.

-==-

• Like 1

I think this speaks to the fact that there is a rather small and loud group of people in the neighborhood who are against nearly all new development. Most of the neighbors that I've spoken with are pretty reasonable - they understand that all of 12th will eventually be developed and just want the stretch from the proposed Bristol development to 440 to be moderately sized mixed use that generally fits in with the character of the neighborhood. Everything closer to Wedgewood will likely be denser, as will all of the development on 8th, and I think most people are fine with that. There are a handful of people who have spoken out against the Special Olympics development, but that is going to happen regardless.

Speaking of that survey, one of the most universally expressed opinions (82% in favor) was dropping the speed limit on all of the side streets to 20mph. Now that is an issue I could get behind.

• Like 2

I think this speaks to the fact that there is a rather small and loud group of people in the neighborhood who are against nearly all new development. Most of the neighbors that I've spoken with are pretty reasonable - they understand that all of 12th will eventually be developed and just want the stretch from the proposed Bristol development to 440 to be moderately sized mixed use that generally fits in with the character of the neighborhood. Everything closer to Wedgewood will likely be denser, as will all of the development on 8th, and I think most people are fine with that. There are a handful of people who have spoken out against the Special Olympics development, but that is going to happen regardless.

Speaking of that survey, one of the most universally expressed opinions (82% in favor) was dropping the speed limit on all of the side streets to 20mph. Now that is an issue I could get behind.

It's frustrating that the local board appears to spend 90% of their time placating the 10% who will never be happy, while other, achievable goals, go barely addressed.

You can drop the speed to 20mph, but someone will have to enforce it. Nobody seems to enforce the current speed limits, except on 10th.

Edited by Nash_12South

It's frustrating that the local board appears to spend 90% of their time placating the 10% who will never be happy, while other, achievable goals, go barely addressed.

You can drop the speed to 20mph, but someone will have to enforce it. Nobody seems to enforce the current speed limits, except on 10th.

"...Nobody seems to enforce the current speed limits, except on 10th.."

Like that everywhere in the 'ville, except at the end of the month when they go trawling and "fishin'" for the books, and except in Belle Meade.  I know the hard way, on DBTodd, Arthur, Porter, McCall...

-==-

Edited by rookzie

We have cops gunning on our street about once/month. I do think that it would be much easier to slow down traffic by putting in some stop signs and speed bumps on the biggest problem streets (Montrose and Vaulx).

From the TN article, quoting someone at the planning commission meeting opposed to the Bristol 12South project: "One resident even said she'd prefer the return of a drug dealer who used to live nearby when she first moved to the area in 1986."

I simply don't understand that kind of thinking.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2015/04/24/south-development-denied-mat-kearney-among-opponents/26301669/

• Like 4

From the TN article, quoting someone at the planning commission meeting opposed to the Bristol 12South project: "One resident even said she'd prefer the return of a drug dealer who used to live nearby when she first moved to the area in 1986."

I simply don't understand that kind of thinking.

I can only assume that the statement is hyperbolic.

This is a long delayed project that will be on 10 south next to Waverly Belmont School. I had seen the rendering 6 months ago or so and knew that Bongo was headed here. Glad to see it moving forward.

Article will come off pay wall sometime tomorrow.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2015/4/29/bongo_java_to_take_space_in_building_planned_for_12south_area

Agreed scaling back # of units is probably a good thing. But the lack of ground floor retail is still bothersome. Also, the fact the neighborhood doesn't want ground floor retail is bizarre to me. I want every new building in my neighborhood  to at least offer something to the community.

RE: Bristol 12S project. https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2015/5/1/bristol_to_move_forward_with_12south_project

Turns out the next iteration will have retail, as the vast majority of neighbors want. You cannot listen to the people quoted in news articles many times, the vocal opponents are often in the minority, such as in this case.

I'll take a tree over half the s*** being built in town now

I won't however. And most people want the development. And as I always say on this board: If you are unhappy with the quality of development happening you are welcome to go out and develop some properties that meet your standard!

• Like 1

I won't however. And most people want the development. And as I always say on this board: If you are unhappy with the quality of development happening you are welcome to go out and develop some properties that meet your standard!

That's a pretty harsh attitude. We can't all be developers, but that doesn't mean that we can't be concerned about the quality of development. If that's the case, then we need to all stop posting here and just close the site down.

You may not care about trees, but many of us see them as an important part of a quality living environment. And nature is the only part that you can't build overnight. We can put up all the buildings we want, but large quality trees take decades or centuries to grow. In fact, many trees will outlive the building they grow next to.

We are all entitled to our own opinions, and don't all have to agree. But to discount someone's opposing opinion as a "well go do it yourself then" attitude doesnt add anything to a constructive conversation. Do you ever have frustrations with your car? Build your own. Do you love comcast? Then supply your own cable. Do you hate potholes? Then go fill them yourself. Do you see how un-constructive that is?

• Like 4

Or, fortunately, I'm welcome to participate in the community planning process.  I'm pro-development and density myself, but, largely because of inappropriate and just plain bad development, there is a growing backlash against all development.  That is unfortunate.