Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

Interesting, seems mainly a height issue, as well as concerns from neighbors. The neighborhood was very agitated when the Hill project was being considered, and that has turned into a gathering point in the neighborhood it seems. Oh well, I wonder if they will scale the project down?

I think they'll likely chop a story off and call it a day.

Why is the entire thing elevated and set back from the street behind a wall of some sort?  Aside from that odd choice it's a great looking project.

It's the topography of the site. The current units sit similarly, and there is a retaining wall that runs along the street in front of them. At its highest the retaining wall is 6-7 ftt high. To get it at street level would likely involve an incredible amount of excavation and would also kill the views.

• Like 1

It's the topography of the site. The current units sit similarly, and there is a retaining wall that runs along the street in front of them. At its highest the retaining wall is 6-7 ftt high. To get it at street level would likely involve an incredible amount of excavation and would also kill the views.

Ahh, I see!  Well that makes sense then.  Thanks for the explanation...that is certainly understandable.

I decided to add Antioch into this thread as it is a huge area and starting to have a lot of new development.

From Channel 5

http://www.jrn.com/newschannel5/news/Preliminary-Approval-Granted-for-Massive-Antioch-Development-294312321.html

FWIW, this is where I think the IKEA will go as it is close to the large population centers and just off of an interstate. Easy access from the Boro, Franklin,and most of Nashville. I will bet the price of the land will be in the range that makes sense.

You may think how it is easily accessible from Brentwood and Franklin, but the improvements being made to Concord ROAD and Nolensville pike will make it much better. If coming from Williamson County, they would just have to turn onto Burkitt road and go to I 24.

• Like 2

You may think how it is easily accessible from Brentwood and Franklin, but the improvements being made to Concord ROAD and Nolensville pike will make it much better. If coming from Williamson County, they would just have to turn onto Burkitt road and go to I 24.

Plus...if they can ever get that 4 lane road from Cool Springs to Smyrna, that would open up a lot more people to travel to Rutherford / S. Davidson from Williamson Co.  They've talked about building that for years for Rutherford Co. folks to get to Cool Springs and Cool Springs headquarter people (like Nissan) to be able to get to the Smyrna Airport and the Nissan plant.  Problem is all of the hills near Nolensville.

They'll have a precipitously (almost vertical) uphill battle to accomplish that, with all the existing private residences along those streets, despite the commercial redevelopment of the old White Way Dry Cleaning facilities on Villa Place.

After the virtual sequestering of that in-between zone from 12th to 16th, from Wedgewood to Hawkins, during the '70s and '80s, with some streets intentionally closed-off from Music Row, and with the district having transformed from one of primarily minority, during the 1950s and '60s due in part to suburban flight, to become one of mixed income and mixed ethnicity, to defer to the developers in wholesale would be political suicide for Metro.  It remains one of the few affordable neighborhoods where gentrification has not (yet) forced out those of more modest resources from core-living and ownership on the south side.

-==-

They'll have a precipitously (almost vertical) uphill battle to accomplish that, with all the existing private residences along those streets, despite the commercial redevelopment of the old White Way Dry Cleaning facilities on Villa Place.

After the virtual sequestering of that in-between zone from 12th to 16th, from Wedgewood to Hawkins, during the '70s and '80s, with some streets intentionally closed-off from Music Row, and with the district having transformed from one of primarily minority, during the 1950s and '60s due in part to suburban flight, to become one of mixed income and mixed ethnicity, to defer to the developers in wholesale would be political suicide for Metro.  It remains one of the few affordable neighborhoods where gentrification has not (yet) forced out those of more modest resources from core-living and ownership on the south side.

-==-

Yeah...I owned a home I converted to a home/office on the edge of that area (just off 16th)...and many of the people there fight any kind of change.  Many don't even want you to upgrade your home and make it nice in fear of property taxes going up.  But...for every nice home, there's a potential crack home next to it.  Police even shot a guy in the street within view of my front porch a couple of years ago in broad daylight when he tried to break into one of the 'crack houses.'

I do believe these people will be forced out one day, though.  Hopefully they'll all make a nice profit and be able to buy something nice further out...but I just don't see something that close to downtown always being single homes.  Could be wrong, though.

How long until developers start buying the land up in Edgehill between 12th & 16th Avenue....north of Belmont?  I know they'll have to get the land rezoned for something larger than single homes...but it's got to be coming, right?

It's already been happening. Take a drive through that area and you will see a lot of construction.

• Like 1

Yeah...I owned a home I converted to a home/office on the edge of that area (just off 16th)...and many of the people there fight any kind of change.  Many don't even want you to upgrade your home and make it nice in fear of property taxes going up.  But...for every nice home, there's a potential crack home next to it.  Police even shot a guy in the street within view of my front porch a couple of years ago in broad daylight when he tried to break into one of the 'crack houses.'

I do believe these people will be forced out one day, though.  Hopefully they'll all make a nice profit and be able to buy something nice further out...but I just don't see something that close to downtown always being single homes.  Could be wrong, though.

You need to come take a look around the neighborhood again.  I don't think the police shooting happened a couple years ago. I've lived on Villa Pl for the last 3 years and there have been no stories like that, and there are not "crack houses" anywhere in the neighborhood.  What you're describing as happening was definitely pre-2010 and likely pre-2005 when the re-investment in the neighborhood really began in earnest. 

We are currently zoned R6 for about 80% of the neighborhood that you are describing and 20% RS5.  For the R6 lots there is already a lot of redevelopment going on in the form of duplexes.  The RS5 lots are being rehabbed at a fairly brisk pace. The historic houses, with a couple notable exceptions, have already been renovated to varying degrees and are generally owner occupied. The mid-20th century houses are split between rentals and owner occupied, and are the targets for the teardowns.  As for opposition to improving properties, I have seen no evidence of that at all.  My wife and I completed a major renovation and addition to our own house a year ago and are now renovating a house that has been empty for 17 years currently, and people have been very supportive of both, especially the empty house as it was the last remaining eyesore in that part of the neighborhood.  if there was opposition to home improvement when you owned here, then that has long since gone away.

We are slowly losing the ability to say we are mixed income and race, and I don't know if there's an answer for that.  Lots and teardowns are now being sold for ~$300-330,000 and finished duplexes are being sold for $475-550,000 each. Single family houses that are updated will sell in the $600-650,000 range if they have north of ~2750 sq feet. Prices like that will make the neighborhood more homogenous over time in terms of income and educational levels. I don't think there's any way around that. My hope is that we continue to attract a mix of races to the neighborhood, but that mix of races will still largely have terminal degrees and relatively high incomes. I think there's an argument that a mix of incomes represents true diversity better than a mix of races if incomes and educational attainment are similar, but that's another topic entirely.

As for large scale development in the area, I doubt that will happen in the next 20 years. Nashville sorely lacks urban, historic neighborhoods, and this portion of Edgehill represents a big chunk of that inventory.  The proposed Nashville Next plan has the entire area pegged as either T4 Neighborhood-Maintenance or Neighborhood-Evolving (Hawkins and Sigler).  The periphery will see high density, but the center of the neighborhood won't. Projecting forward 5-10 years we'll continue to see large scale developments along Music Row and Division, and we'll begin to higher density development move south along 12th Ave from the Gulch and north on 12th Ave from 12South.  Edgehill Village will continue to offer walkable amenities, and there are a number of changes that will happen there over the next year or so that will make it a very desired destination for much of Nashville.  The next residential area to "boom" will be the area between 12th Ave S and 8th Ave S.  There are large numbers of lots being bought in this area and I predict fairly tall houses will be built with rooftop decks to take advantage of the downtown views. That is what is happening with the Archer St homes and also with the Wade St rowhouses currently under construction.

• Like 1

I bought a small house on Tremont between 16th and Villa Pl in 2009 and fixed it up...and I'm pretty sure the shooting was in 2011 (so...about 3.5 years ago...so, yeah, it wasn't quite a couple...but not far off that.)

I'm glad the place is changing.  I was one of the first to fix my place up (there were others, but not many)...and I did start to see others refurbishing.  And...I disagree on the crack houses.  Of course, I don't know if they were really crack houses...but I do know they were dilapidated and about to fall down and there was definitely crime in the area because I asked the police after the shooting.  

I was really happy when someone took that old house at the corner of Villa and Tremont and fixed it up.

I still believe developers will eventually come in and offer too much money for people to stay there.

I still believe developers will eventually come in and offer too much money for people to stay there.

What I'm saying is that it is already happening. We're seeing sales all the time to developers who then build single family or two on one. What won't happen is for a developer to buy up 5 houses along Villa and then put an apartment or condo there. That's not because they won't find a sellers, because they probably could. The reason it won't happen is that the planning staff and commission as well as the city council members for the neighborhood won't allow the zoning changes to pass. You could have all the buyers and sellers you want but without a zoning change larger scale development cannot happen.

And...I disagree on the crack houses.  Of course, I don't know if they were really crack houses...but I do know they were dilapidated and about to fall down and there was definitely crime in the area because I asked the police after the shooting.  

Then let's not call them crack houses. I know essentially every occupant of every house by face, if not by name, from Tremont to South. There are currently two empty houses on that stretch, both of which are historic and very structurally sound and neither of which has any drug activity at them.

Then let's not call them crack houses. I know essentially every occupant of every house by face, if not by name, from Tremont to South. There are currently two empty houses on that stretch, both of which are historic and very structurally sound and neither of which has any drug activity at them.

I agree...wrong wording.  And...I am talking probably 5 years ago on the dilapidated houses.  I know it's changed a lot since then.

And...having owned and lived there, I am aware of the zoning and how tough it is to get rezoning in that neighborhood.  That doesn't mean it won't happen one day.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know what is opening next to Douglas Corner Cafe on 8th ave? There are very confusing posters covering all the windows and I haven't heard anything about what's moving into the space...

A barber shop called Brave Barber.

I noticed erosion barriers today around the surface lot on 12S between Edleys and the outdoor furniture place. What's happening there?

I believe this is surface parking/paving related to the conversion of the Montrose houses to offices (around the corner).

A barber shop called Brave Barber.

I believe this is surface parking/paving related to the conversion of the Montrose houses to offices (around the corner).

Looks like I spoke too soon. They pulled a permit for tree removal for "Becker's Corner" yesterday. Is the bakery coming back???

I hope so.

• Like 1

I'd love it, too ─ used to buy cakes there back in the mid-'60s (as well as the late '90s), but I wouldn't get my hopes up ─ not yet anyway.  The family just might be holding on to the property to repurpose it for other than for "homey" treats this time around.

But since you do hang 'round there, I'd be delighted if you could keep tab on what does start to happen on that corner.

-==-

• Like 1