Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

All I can find is a broken link from e + h architects (yuck). Google did pick up a description, though: Beckers Corner. Client: The Shop Trust, LLC. Location: Nashville, Tennessee. Description: Proposed 14,500 sq. ft. Mixed-Use Building ...

The Shop Trust is the Howell Brothers company, who do own the land (and used to own Becker's). This looks to be right on the corner of Montrose and 12th.

Sad news for a 12 south business. Hopefully Katy K can resume business in North Nashville/Bordeaux. Shop will be closer to downtown w/view, and wont have to worry about extreme rental rates forcing out true urban businesses like themselves.

Always "knew" it was going to happen sooner or later.  In a manner of speaking, it's a classic canary in the coal mine.  Not so say that the vacancy won't get swooped up by the night hawk by "gentrification a la business", but in a way the same things happened a while back in SoBro, even before eminent domain set in.  Places like RH Chilton on 4th Ave. So. and Electra Distributors and Tenn. Speed Sport of West End had their sights on sites elsewhere for similar reasons (for rent and/or assessment), long before Palmer Plaza and Gateway Blvd. evolved.  Most of us do not miss the industrial rainbow of electric-motor rewinders, engine-block borers, and landscape equipment sales and repair in SoBro (means I just have to drive farther away to find them), but it's a tough loss to many for the likes of Katy K in the retail enclave of "downtown Twelfth".

It's been not much longer than 10 years (perhaps even less) that the building occupied by "imogene + willie" had still been an automotive transmission repair shop (Georges), that the strip which houses Mafiaoza's once had been Overhead Door of Nashville.  White's Mercantile had been a Spur Gas station in the past. It's not unexpected (and I doubt that it is missed) that the small industrials would move farther out, which is the reason that it happened much earlier on West End and on Charlotte.  But with the kind of business and clientele associated with it, I hope Katy K can recover the visibility lost from moving.  I do think, though, that it can be a blessing in disguise for a move and that Katy can do better in a location other than the current, since 12South, or specifically "12th Ave. So.", has long been waxing "homogenized" away from the once multi-category retail use for "axle lubricants, roller chain drives, "majik" carpet area rugs, and wedding cakes ("funne[ra]l cakes").

I hadn't seen that Katy was moving to North Nashville, though.  I thought it was just closing, period.  Don't get me wrong as I am in no way dissin' 12South.  12South is great and I hope that it maintains momentum, while finding some way to manage it's relationship with the neighbors on the side streets.  It has to, as neither one of them is going away.  I just hope no gunfire and bloodshed results from pissed-off residents or an over-lit bar-hopper.

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 2

Metro Council has approved zoning for the Broadstone apartment/retail project on the site of the former Colonial Bakery on 8th. Planning had previously approved in January. When built out it will have ~330 apartment units and 71K sq ft retail, according to the Tennessean: http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2015/03/17/eighth-avenue-south-apartments-approved-objections/24939861/

• Like 1

Which one is this?  Is this the same row of townhomes that we'd seen in the black and white drawing that was going to go on Hawkins Street? If so, then I really had a misunderstanding of how it would be sited... I thought basically parallel to the new Crescent Bluebird.

Edited by MLBrumby

I guess this goes here.  Big Buckingham Apt project (548 units) planned for Cane Ridge:  http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2015/04/01/buckingham-plans-nashville-apartment-project/70797848/

Yeah not particularly happy about this given it's proximity to me. Density is great but Lillian's point about Bell Rd is very accurate. 1PM on Saturday between Blue Hole and I-24 can sometimes take 15-20 minutes for a 1 mile stretch.

It's been more than bad enough for quite some time on Blue Hole, between Bell Rd. and Tusculum and Antioch Pike, with streams of bypassers seeking passage from Una-Antioch Pike and Mt. View Rd to that part of Bell Rd.

Oh, and don't let a freight (train) block the crossing near the confluence of Antioch, Una-Antioch, Mt. View, and Blue Hole (which between there and the old Ezell;Pike was the still original downtown Antioch back in the late 60's, near that small white church, back when Ezell used to cross the track near CCA [formerly Central State Hospital for the Criminally Insane]).  All that only compounds the never-addressed mounting shortage of traffic paths within the reaches of that part of the county.

Heaven forbid clogging up the south part of Blue Hole, Pettus, and Cane Ridge Roads, and with the State and City never foremost prioritizing the replacement of the CSX underpass at Bell near I-24 (which had been totally country and totally without any sign of civilization back in 1969, when that part of I-24 was new), I have managed to avoid it when possible, although I used to frequent it back in the mid and late '90s).  I totally can empathize (and sympathize) with dmillsphoto on that one.

-==-

• Like 4