Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

Or, fortunately, I'm welcome to participate in the community planning process.  I'm pro-development and density myself, but, largely because of inappropriate and just plain bad development, there is a growing backlash against all development.  That is unfortunate.

This development does not seem bad, however. It will be a mix of retail and residential, in a rapidly growing and urbanizing neighborhood. Trees are awesome, but that tree is right in the middle of any development potential.  Just because you do not like other projects in town does not make this a bad project.

That's a pretty harsh attitude. We can't all be developers, but that doesn't mean that we can't be concerned about the quality of development. If that's the case, then we need to all stop posting here and just close the site down.

You may not care about trees, but many of us see them as an important part of a quality living environment. And nature is the only part that you can't build overnight. We can put up all the buildings we want, but large quality trees take decades or centuries to grow. In fact, many trees will outlive the building they grow next to.

We are all entitled to our own opinions, and don't all have to agree. But to discount someone's opposing opinion as a "well go do it yourself then" attitude doesnt add anything to a constructive conversation. Do you ever have frustrations with your car? Build your own. Do you love comcast? Then supply your own cable. Do you hate potholes? Then go fill them yourself. Do you see how un-constructive that is?

He said he hated bad development(I would say we all do), without defining what that was. Implying that this will be bad project, which to me seems quite incorrect.

I found information on this a couple of years ago that GBT wanted to do on the Davidson Side of Brentwood. It was just one office building.

Looks as if their plans have gotten a lot bigger

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2015/05/developer-pursues-huge-mixed-use-development-in.html

• Like 1

He said he hated bad development(I would say we all do), without defining what that was. Implying that this will be bad project, which to me seems quite incorrect.

I can see where you may have thought I meant that.  I didn't.  I actually like this particular project.  I was reacting to your apparently casual disregard for trees.

Edited by Nashville Cliff

I can see where you may have thought I meant that.  I didn't.  I actually like this particular project.  I was reacting to your apparently casual disregard for trees.

I like trees, but I also view things in light of the bigger picture. This development will provide jobs, housing, property taxes. Incorporating the tree would have been tough if not impossible.

Also, my guess is the developer will plant trees!

I like trees, but I also view things in light of the bigger picture. This development will provide jobs, housing, property taxes. Incorporating the tree would have been tough if not impossible.

Also, my guess is the developer will plant trees!

My guess is that few developers will plant trees of the type that was destroyed; they will leave a small strip where some dwarfish, fastigiate varieties will be allotted a slender foothold.  I would favor a larger role for real vegetation in the city, and more thought given to landscaping as a thing in itself, not a mere adjunct to buildings.  The doctrine that the only purpose of landscaping is to enhance the appearance of houses and other buildings is destructive and leads to an ugly environment.

• Like 3

Is there much construction going on in Antioch? I dont hear much about it. 

I live in the Antioch suburbs (such that they are), so I recall a couple of projects. Within the past year, developers bought the abandonded Target store with plans to divide it into smaller retail spaces. Another project (a rather ambitious one) announced in the past few weeks called for a huge mix of retail and residential off one of the corners of Bell Road and I-24. Not sure about the status of either of those projects, but I'm optimistic. Besides, if the owners of Global Crossings Mall can manage to keep that place open, then anything's possible in Antioch.

• Like 2

Here is the second project that will go real close to the Summit project. This is the project I mentioned a couple of post back. I alerted WW to this a couple of weeks ago and he was able to get info on it.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2015/5/12/five_story_apartment_building_eyed_for_brentwood_area_site

I live in the Antioch suburbs (such that they are), so I recall a couple of projects. Within the past year, developers bought the abandonded Target store with plans to divide it into smaller retail spaces. Another project (a rather ambitious one) announced in the past few weeks called for a huge mix of retail and residential off one of the corners of Bell Road and I-24. Not sure about the status of either of those projects, but I'm optimistic. Besides, if the owners of Global Crossings Mall can manage to keep that place open, then anything's possible in Antioch.

I live in Antioch (Cane Ridge to all my neighbors).  The re-use of the mall is looking pretty nice.  To bad most of it can not be see from Bell Rd.  The Nashville Community College took Macy's or Dillard's.  I don't remember which one.  It does face Bell Rd.  But all they did was put up a sign. And that's OK.  The Ice Rinks (2) are up and seem to be pretty heavily used.  Those are in the parking lot behind the mall.  The new library, park and community center took another one of the department stores.  I think they may have torn down part of it for those projects.  It's a start.  it seems kind of stalled right now.  Hopefully more things will happen.  A 1200 employee building connected to the mall would be really great.  The interior of the mall is still a sad place.  I am waiting for the Zombies to come out.  But I have hopes the new owner will be able to fulfill his dreams for the area.

• Like 3

seriously that triple underpass is horrible. I rarely use it except when visiting my friend in Antioch (he isnt from here and claims Cane Ridge) and I hate it every time.

I claim Cane Ridge because there's actual signs saying Cane Ridge, and we once tried to annex from Antioch and get our own zip.

This should have little impact on the traffic on I-24, due to its location

To refresh everyone, here is the plan for the new interchange.

20141106_183944_zps32brpzik.jpg

20141106_182922_zpsc1fbveg9.jpg

1) There are NO plans for any improvements for the Bell Road interchange with I-24 (thank you CSX)

2) It has been suggested the state make improvements to the interchange of Cane Ridge Rd. and Bell Rd.

3) The first zoning approvals are already completed

• Like 2

I almost forgot to note that demo seems to be starting at the Colonial Bakery building in Berry Hill. The big Magnolia tree is gone and there is fencing and equipment on site.

Well, even though that's within the Berry Hill "Un"-incorporation limits, I hope that Metro ever at least thinks about enhancing that T-bone Craighead Intersection at Franklin Pk.  Pre-programmed delayed greens on the southbound, without a LT lane, just don't cut it.  Northbound RT lane also could do miles of good.

They've taken easements before, on properties when they chose to, such as at Estes and Woodmont (even though it arbitrarily chose to give deference to private rock wall).

-==-

Edited by rookzie

I agree, rather bland.  But,not horrible.  I am more interested in the jobs in the area.  Has it already been established where this building will be?

When I moved here 10 years ago I thought that Bell Rd was one of the worst interchanges I'd ever seen and thought, what were they thinking when they built it.  I avoided that whole mess and used the Parkway Exit.  Was there a Bell Rd exit in existence when Hickory Hollow Mall was built.  I have talked to a fellow who grew up in the Cane Ridge area and he told me about riding his bike to Bell and there was nothing there except a few gas stations.  I don't know how long ago that was.

I have another question.  I think I have read that Nashville brought in Antioch and other communities in Davidson county into the Metro region many years ago.  Why did Antioch not get it's named changed to Nashville.  I feel I am not really part of Nashville, even though Antioch covers a large area, I would prefer Nashville.  Cane Ridge is OK, but it still is part of Nashville.  Also, Cane Ridge was offered a zip code but did not want it, because of letterheads and such.  Stupid.  Most cities can not do what Davidson/Nashville was able to do.  I grew up near Pittsburgh and annexation or whatever this is called could not be done.  Pittsburgh is very small sq mi speaking (56 sq miles) There was a community across the river where the stadium's are and it became part of the city many years ago.  I think it doubled the population.  The county has many communities (I believe maybe close to 100) and this joining would never happen. How was this pulled off here without a huge fight? To me, it does make economic sense.to eliminate redundancy in government functions.