Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

That's where the greasy (or "gree-zeh") chicken-and-tater-wedge-joint hangout used to be, a few years back.  I reckon when the price is right, the owners of the SW-corner Phillips 66 gas joint will give in as well.  I've seen some evil things happen at both those corners, before the new precinct arrived, although people are so brazen these days, that that doesn't seem to matter.

-==-

• Like 1

I just checked out that corner, and the good thing is that there are two plain, small 1950s era ranchers there. So should not be any architectural loss. It's a great walkable neighborhood, and farther down Belmont there are some great old houses. This should help the streetscape a lot. 

That looks like a really well-designed project for those lots.    And the best part (to me) is that Evergreen is saving and building around the mature trees along Belmont.    Most developers would clearcut the lot first then stick a few $10 trees in the ground as they left.    

• Like 3

I am shocked that the current buildings have remained as long as they have, this seems like a great project.

I just checked out that corner, and the good thing is that there are two plain, small 1950s era ranchers there. So should not be any architectural loss. It's a great walkable neighborhood, and farther down Belmont there are some great old houses. This should help the streetscape a lot. 

At least some of these "anachronistic" looking structures are starting to become displaced along that blvd.  It's more likely that an investor would acquire contiguous property lots and then to erect (hopefully) a more fitting structure, larger than the one or two buildings that it would replace, rather than it would be expected that a single-parcel owner would redevelop such land.  Many of these out-of-taste units had been allowed to be built some 4-to-6 decades ago, during the trend to "renew" and to modernize with simpler, cheaper materials and construction practices, resulting in obviously some outlandish and atrocious conflict of styles.

For the most part, the Belmont area has been able to maintain continuity through the ages, with old four-squares, bungalows, and a number of not-so-old Tudor revivals ─ a rich, diverse mix of Craftsman and Victorian artisanship.  During the last 2 decades, I have seen at least a couple of examples of a brand-new 4-square replacing an existing heavily deteriorated structure down to its foundation.  Unfortunately, zoning had allowed conversion of some stately old homes into multi-family-connected homes, perhaps either by latitude of existing zoning or by variance.  At least these old base house structures have been allowed to remain, while being somewhat thematically appropriate for that neighborhood.

My hope is that at some near point in time, an investor eventually will acquire that tacky Sun Entertainment studio and Sound Emporium, farther south, across Belmont from Christ the King and replace them with something less of an eyesore.

-==-

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That should be much needed shot in the arm for Lindell, if that's where it is, since I-65  RoW butchered it up, along with Benton Ave.

Benton used to have a bridge over the train tracks from Vine Hill and Bransford, and you can still find the concrete overpass piers left remaining at the east side of the tracks at that broken-off stub of Benton.  When the highway ripped Lindell lengthwise, it left that dead-end stub and a chunk of what once had been Benton.  Of course, that's been primarily industrial and commercial, like the Mac Authority (Simply Mac).  The other parts of  Benton and Lindell continue on the west side of the highway, where Benton is made to turn into Lindell as a portion of combined name Lindell and Benton along the highway itself.

With a crossing-guard zone at Bransford and Wedgewood, and the backups at the Wedgewood on- and off- ramps, this new development, and hopefully others to follow, might add needed pressure to lead to some measures for addressing the tons of cut-through traffic routing east-west into the fairgrounds heading to Nolensville Rd. and Bransford.  Unless they add yet another light to Wedgwood (which would be too close to the existing one at the highway), tenants are going to have to either "scratch off" for left turns or turn right only and double back some how, since now there's only one way in and out of that part of Lindell.

-==-

Is this going to be on the southeast corner of Wedgewood and Lindell?

I believe these are two separate developments.  The one at Southgate and Pillow being townhomes and flats; Southgate at Pillow is north of Wedgewood Ave. and is set back away from the interstate.  From what I understand, the 5-story unit that  Nathan_in_dc is questioning, would be Wedgewood Lofts and would be South of Wedgewood along the I-65 corridor.

-==-

• Like 1

Talk about "solidarity"!  I know that its not uncommon for lop-sided community sentiment, but I'm somewhat surprised that it was such a "love-score" elimination.  In the way of progress, I can understand that many residents in that neighborhood would want to maintain that suburban setting for single-family dwellers, especially it adaptive reuse could set a precedent for more to come.  Just saying, since I live no where near there ─ just trying to be a bit empathetic.  It might not have been unanimous had neighbors been more convinced of preserving more of the green-space.  Many of them also probably didn't go for painted brick.  Ugly or not, I think a lot of retired (-ing) home-owners are not ready for such a development, and probably had hoped for another congregation to lease or to buy the building.

Or just maybe they were just afraid of "desecration", in the manner of what happened when that small (I believe) Missionary Baptist church got sold and Anthony's Showplace moved in and "lit it up" (on George Davis Blvd, just off Charlotte, SW corner of Capitol View site).  Anthony's might have lasted a bit longer, if it had had more to offer (that is, so I'm told).

-==-

Edited by rookzie

I think most of the people there thought that it was oversized for the neighborhood.  If that same project was proposed for the area on 12th around Wedgewood then I think it would have passed. Bristol originally planned for 4 levels and backed that off to 3.  That likely wasn't enough. They are trying to maximize their profits, but for this to have a chance at redevelopment I think they are going to have to do a fourth of the number of units with row houses and a couple thousand square feet of retail on the southern end of the land. There were some people there that complained about it not having retail in the base, and one of the Commissioners made a similar comment.  Bristol probably should have gone back to the drawing board when the first one was turned down instead of just taking a floor off.

• Like 1