First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

I hate the new branding, I hate the move to reference Charlotte more mostly because it doesn’t remind me of my university I attended. I know some other alumni on here don’t mind but I personally can’t feel the connection to the new logo like I do the old. 

I still rock my old 49er’s gear. And I’ll always refer To it as UNCC over University of Charlotte lol. I’m not mad over it, I mean maybe it’s better for future prospective students but I just can’t feel connected to the new branding. Which reminds me when I graduate from GMU with my masters this month I need to get more involved in alumni UNCC stuff again & support my fellow 49er’s. 

1F4DB230-B31D-4892-961F-3F1C51F74DA8.png.7b999ca499b4dae8c26cb11616d16005.png

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I hate the new branding, I hate the move to reference Charlotte more mostly because it doesn’t remind me of my university I attended. I know some other alumni on here don’t mind but I personally can’t feel the connection to the new logo like I do the old. 

I still rock my old 49er’s gear. And I’ll always refer To it as UNCC over University of Charlotte lol. I’m not mad over it, I mean maybe it’s better for future prospective students but I just can’t feel connected to the new branding. Which reminds me when I graduate from GMU with my masters this month I need to get more involved in alumni UNCC stuff again & support my fellow 49er’s. 

1F4DB230-B31D-4892-961F-3F1C51F74DA8.png.7b999ca499b4dae8c26cb11616d16005.png

UNCC sure spends a lot of money. on "Branding".

22 hours ago, J-Rob said:

Hot Take from someone that didn't go to Charlotte: The mascot requires too much explanation and is confusing. I know multiple alumni that can't explain it. If the purpose of rebranding was to increase national recognition and exposure, they should have come up with a new mascot altogether. How confusing is the mascot? Look no further that the Wikipedia explanation (the fact it requires an explanation is the problem):

"The nickname "49ers" derives from the fact that the university's predecessor—Charlotte Center of the University of North Carolina (CCUNC – established in 1946) was saved from being shut down by the state in 1949 by Bonnie Cone, when CCUNC became Charlotte College. Due to this "49er spirit" that Cone felt embodied the university, referring to the settlers that endured much hardships in traveling across the United States to seek fortune in the California Gold Rush, students of the fledgling UNC Charlotte chose "49ers" as the school's mascot. The fact that the University's Main Campus front entrance is located on North Carolina Highway 49 is pure coincidence."

You might say a lot of mascots don't make sense (i.e. Alabama Crimson Tide using elephant mascot), but the different part to me here is reference to a historical event that took place cross-continent, and is apparently unrelated to the gold rush that occurred here in the Carolinas (the first gold in the Carolinas was found at Reed Gold Mine, which is in the outskirts of the Charlotte suburbs). The moniker invites needing explanation. 

With that said, I prefer the new logo to the old one. It's cleaner and doesn't lean into the 49er moniker needing explanation.

Frankly I always just assumed it was in reference to the Carolina gold rush. I'm shocked to learn that it isn't. What the heck lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, kermit said:

Me too, and I have worked there for a quarter century.

That gold was discovered in 1799 in Cabarrus County starting the NC gold rush so it should be the 99ers!   I had heard briefly of this 1949 struggle with the university but most as all of you say not heard of that.  https://www.ourstate.com/north-carolina-gold-rush/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/9/2023 at 6:07 AM, Reverie39 said:

Frankly I always just assumed it was in reference to the Carolina gold rush. I'm shocked to learn that it isn't. What the heck lol

There used to be remnants of an old gold mine in the area where the light rail passes.  They could've built on that

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Serious Question: Why would Levine leave his unfinished parking garage just sitting there? If there are quality/safety issues as some speculated, won't he need to eventually tear the thing down if it can't be fixed? And if it can be fixed, why wouldn't they just do that and move forward?

Does anyone have any insight? Hoping for (mostly) serious answers, lol. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, J-Rob said:

Serious Question: Why would Levine leave his unfinished parking garage just sitting there? If there are quality/safety issues as some speculated, won't he need to eventually tear the thing down if it can't be fixed? And if it can be fixed, why wouldn't they just do that and move forward?

if there are defects is maybe it is  apart of some litigation with the contractor?  but that is public knowledge usually so we would know that I would think.  did he run out of money?  don't think that either but it would be embarrassing to have it uncompleted and win the NFL draft within eyeshot if we win that huge event.  UNCC could have used the parking and now they must park in the gravel lot on another Levine owned block.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, J-Rob said:

I think this is to show that he can undevelop as quickly as develop.

Edited by stw52
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, go_vertical said:

What does the city have in their toolbox to thwart situations such as this?  Is there anything in the rule book that the council could do if they really wanted to come down hard on him?

I'm no expert by any means but some municipalities have "vested rights" in their zoning codes. This is usually a time period (say 2 years) in order to start a project after approval or a certain amount of the project cost must be spent in that period or it may have to be approved/reviewed again. I don't know if this power includes any closure/demolition/removal/stopping of project. I'm sure ther are posters here that could enlighten us.

If I am in error about any of this please forgive me.

• Like 1