First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

• 2 weeks later...

16 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Photo #1 the shame of uptown Charlotte.     My idea is still the Fort Bragg (Liberty) Urban Warfare Training center.  (since it seems never to be opened for parking or any other purpose)   

Photo #2 UNC Charlotte would be great if there were more buildings with this and an actual urban campus.  UTSA in San Antonio has a suburban campus like UNC Charlotte and a multi building downtown campus that is expanding.  Dittos for University of Houston which has a downtown campus in addition to a suburban one.  UTSA has 34,000 students so only slightly bigger than UNCC.

I think you meant Fort Liberty (formerly Bragg). The name change was official in October 2022. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know what's going on across the street (Bre\vard) from First Ward Park? They put orange fencing around some the area a week or two ago and thought it might be for another event, but this morning I noticed some heavy equipment in there.  

6 minutes ago, 1020AM said:

Anyone know what's going on across the street (Bre\vard) from First Ward Park? They put orange fencing around some the area a week or two ago and thought it might be for another event, but this morning I noticed some heavy equipment in there.  

In a separate thread, @CLTdevelopmentconfirmed with Dan Levine that site prep work is being done for the Music Festival in early May..."we think."

On 1/17/2024 at 11:33 AM, RANYC said:

In a separate thread, @CLTdevelopmentconfirmed with Dan Levine that site prep work is being done for the Music Festival in early May..."we think."

LOL, no we think, it's what its for, it'll be done. One day I'll ask about the parking deck I promise, I'm working my way there. 

Edited by CLT Development
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, CLT Development said:

LOL, no we think, it's what its for, it'll be done. One day I'll ask about the parking deck I promise, I'm working my way there. 

By the way, what does site grading for a music festival result in?  Any sort of enduring improvement or is this really a disregard-able project?

1 hour ago, RANYC said:

By the way, what does site grading for a music festival result in?  Any sort of enduring improvement or is this really a disregard-able project?

Grabbing lunch in two weeks so I'll make sure I ask. I would wonder if its going to be landfilled tbh, or if there will just be a more gradual slope to the bottom grade. 

2 hours ago, CLT Development said:

Grabbing lunch in two weeks so I'll make sure I ask. I would wonder if its going to be landfilled tbh, or if there will just be a more gradual slope to the bottom grade. 

I assume they’re also pulling out the exposed rebar and filling in the rust pond at the corner of 8th and Caldwell? It’s insulting he waited to do that until he was able to get someone to pay for it. The fact he’s able to profit off these blighted parcels is gross. Where have the fines been?

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, DonkeyKong said:

BK Partners puts portion of Brooklyn Village site that it bought in July up for sale.

They've actually been marketing this land since September '22. The multifamily parcel on this block was also re-listed for sale in Q3 or Q4 '23 after Jefferson fell out of contract.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I did indeed look up the tax bill and it is quite a bit given the deck is generating no income.  From Polaris.  

SEVENTH STREET INVESTORS LLC
Description:    M57-976
Mailing Address:    8514 MCALPINE PARK DR STE 190 CHARLOTTE NC 28211
Parcel #:    08004115
Lender:    
Property Tax    Real Property

Bill Status:    PAID
Bill Flag:    
Bill #:    0008095457-2023-2023-0000-00
Old Bill #:    
Old Account #:    
Due Date:    9/1/2023
Interest Begins:    1/6/2024
Value
Real    $43,938,000
Deferred    $0
Use    $43,938,000
Personal    $0
Exempt & Exclusion    $0

Total Assessed Value    $43,938,000
Rate    Tax Districts    Description    Amount
.4731    MECKLENBURG    Tax    $207,870.68
.2604    CHARLOTTE    Tax    $114,414.55
.0128    SPECIAL DISTRICT 1    Tax    $5,624.06
.0218    SPECIAL DISTRICT 2    Tax    $9,578.48
Interest: $0.00
Total Billed: $337,487.77

Transaction History
Date    Type    Paid By    Trans #    Amount
12/22/2023    PAYMENT    SEVENTH STREET INVESTORS LLC    14332612    $337,487.7

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I did indeed look up the tax bill and it is quite a bit given the deck is generating no income.  From Polaris.  

SEVENTH STREET INVESTORS LLC
Description:    M57-976
Mailing Address:    8514 MCALPINE PARK DR STE 190 CHARLOTTE NC 28211
Parcel #:    08004115
Lender:    
Property Tax    Real Property

Bill Status:    PAID
Bill Flag:    
Bill #:    0008095457-2023-2023-0000-00
Old Bill #:    
Old Account #:    
Due Date:    9/1/2023
Interest Begins:    1/6/2024
Value
Real    $43,938,000
Deferred    $0
Use    $43,938,000
Personal    $0
Exempt & Exclusion    $0

Total Assessed Value    $43,938,000
Rate    Tax Districts    Description    Amount
.4731    MECKLENBURG    Tax    $207,870.68
.2604    CHARLOTTE    Tax    $114,414.55
.0128    SPECIAL DISTRICT 1    Tax    $5,624.06
.0218    SPECIAL DISTRICT 2    Tax    $9,578.48
Interest: $0.00
Total Billed: $337,487.77

Transaction History
Date    Type    Paid By    Trans #    Amount
12/22/2023    PAYMENT    SEVENTH STREET INVESTORS LLC    14332612    $337,487.7

Bleed him dry. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, TCLT said:

Bleed him dry. 

Hey now, I've gotten to know him, he's a human, and a good guy. And despite all the criticism I've given him over the years we see eachother as friends. I don't think he wants to go out with an empty district. Theres a real concerted effort by some big people to revitalize uptown through this district. Details have come out a bit in the press about a Hugh McColl project. Something like this could be his "Swan Song" in partnership with UNCC to incubate a tech hub uptown. Like another "Pearl" concept but for technology. He is just a man, and I'm sure he'd like to stop spending millions on unused land. 

NOTE: This is part hyperbole, but I heard rumors while at the State of the Center City, saw mention of Hugh looking to do a tech hub with UNCC, and now this info. It just makes so much sense. Hugh desperately wants to save Uptown, I've heard him speak about it twice now at events.

BUT ALSO: Side note, it's Charlotte so, LOLZ

• Like 3
  • Confused 5

^ As usual I don’t have any first hand info but I do know a few things about the UNCC and UNC System budget. Given that, recent maneuvers by STEM programs on campus that used up most of their social capital, and the current anti-urban leanings of the legislature, I have a very hard time seeing any significant money from the system or the state to fund a tech hub in Charlotte in the current climate. While there was a $500,000 federal planning grant received recently, I am not seeing much potential for state funds to come in to make any plans into reality. In order to get any actual money from the grant program the state, city and university would really need to have their crap together in a way that we haven’t seen in 20 years.

This strikes me as idea that is good enough that it gets written about, but it has no one with actual power pulling levers for this in Raleigh. Would be happy to be wrong, but color me pessimistic.

https://inside.charlotte.edu/news-features/2023-10-25/charlotte-awarded-tech-strategy-development-grant-us-economic-development

Edited by kermit
  • Sad 2

10 hours ago, CLT Development said:

Hey now, I've gotten to know him, he's a human, and a good guy. And despite all the criticism I've given him over the years we see eachother as friends. I don't think he wants to go out with an empty district. Theres a real concerted effort by some big people to revitalize uptown through this district. Details have come out a bit in the press about a Hugh McColl project. Something like this could be his "Swan Song" in partnership with UNCC to incubate a tech hub uptown. Like another "Pearl" concept but for technology. He is just a man, and I'm sure he'd like to stop spending millions on unused land. 

NOTE: This is part hyperbole, but I heard rumors while at the State of the Center City, saw mention of Hugh looking to do a tech hub with UNCC, and now this info. It just makes so much sense. Hugh desperately wants to save Uptown, I've heard him speak about it twice now at events.

BUT ALSO: Side note, it's Charlotte so, LOLZ

Whats a reasonable timeline for some of these potential plans? I think I read they've been "discussing" the tech corridor for 14 months, but that sounds like not much more than vision-boarding. I understand coordinated development doesn't happen quickly, but it also seems like they are trying to plan for the Silver line, that may or may not happen in 20 years. Reading between the lines, I interpret "wait and see" and "maybe something cool happens at some point in time".

I would love to be wrong, but I don't have high hopes. The Pearl took vision, but once they atrium-wake forest deal happened, the Pearl took shape quickly. From an outsider perspective, it seems like First Ward is lacking a key catalyst/tenant to move things along. (I don't know I see UNCC, a state funded school, committing $$$ and moving quickly like Atrium-Wake Forest).

@CLT Development, would love for you to tell me I am wrong and that there is more than meets the eye.

Edited by J-Rob
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kermit said:

^ As usual I don’t have any first hand info but I do know a few things about the UNCC and UNC System budget. Given that, recent maneuvers by STEM programs on campus that used up most of their social capital, and the current anti-urban leanings of the legislature, I have a very hard time seeing any significant money from the system or the state to fund a tech hub in Charlotte in the current climate. While there was a $500,000 federal planning grant received recently, I am not seeing much potential for state funds to come in to make any plans into reality. In order to get any actual money from the grant program the state, city and university would really need to have their crap together in a way that we haven’t seen in 20 years.

This strikes me as idea that is good enough that it gets written about, but it has no one with actual power pulling levers for this in Raleigh. Would be happy to be wrong, but color me pessimistic.

https://inside.charlotte.edu/news-features/2023-10-25/charlotte-awarded-tech-strategy-development-grant-us-economic-development

Their 2019 fiscal year budget before the pandemic included a $190M investment in Uptown, this never happened, but it represents significant precedent, and with the urgent need to revitalize this district, and uptown I do not see this as far fetched what so ever.

32 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

Whats a reasonable timeline for some of these potential plans? I think I read they've been "discussing" the tech corridor for 14 months, but that sounds like not much more than vision-boarding. I understand coordinated development doesn't happen quickly, but it also seems like they are trying to plan for the Silver line, that may or may not happen in 20 years. Reading between the lines, I interpret "wait and see" and "maybe something cool happens at some point in time".

I would love to be wrong, but I don't have high hopes. The Pearl took vision, but once they atrium-wake forest deal happened, the Pearl took shape quickly. From an outsider perspective, it seems like First Ward is lacking a key catalyst/tenant to move things along. (I don't know I see UNCC, a state funded school, committing $$$ and moving quickly like Atrium-Wake Forest).

@CLT Development, would love for you to tell me I am wrong and that there is more than meets the eye.

I wish I could share more informations, but unfortunately quite a bit is still pretty confidential.

I'm also just confused about the confused face, CBJ told about 30% of the story, and I know the other 70%.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CLT Development said:

Their 2019 fiscal year budget before the pandemic included a $190M investment in Uptown, this never happened, but it represents significant precedent, and with the urgent need to revitalize this district, and uptown I do not see this as far fetched what so ever.

If you are referring to the UNC System budget that money is long gone. Major enrollment issues at several regional campuses (ECU, UNCG and UNCA) means that they will not be able to find this money in the next few years.

Edited by kermit