First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

On 8/19/2023 at 7:58 PM, RANYC said:

I’d like for the tech hub to think in terms of urban innovation campus rather than individual towers.

Can you elaborate? Are you meaning a series of buildings designed around a central space or connection of streets? I get what you're saying, and I think that is the plan at full build out, but it's likely gonna be just one or two buildings for a few years as they develop more programs. 

Again, totally agree with you, but would love to hear your vision. 

On 8/20/2023 at 9:46 AM, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Yeah, hopefully the tech hub comes to fruition. Thought the deck looked like a cemetery too as someone mentioned above lol. Question though, is this deck salvageable or is a developer going to have to completely knock this thing down and rebuild if something gets built there?

Nobody knows the status of that parking deck, it has not failed any inspections to date.

Edited by CLT Development
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

I will note that it only failed one item, and that was its Temporary Certificate of Occupancy in August of 2018.image.thumb.png.1fd79c8e2b62741eaadb7856c2b05703.png

Was that the last inspection done/attempted? Sounds like they knew they were gonna fail so they tried to reduce the scope of the inspection to just what they could pass...

edit: wait a minute, they failed a boat load of inspections, including a number for framing and foundation. they had more partial approvals and failures than outright passed inspections.

Edited by TCLT
lots of inspections failed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Rufus said:

Can you elaborate? Are you meaning a series of buildings designed around a central space or connection of streets? I get what you're saying, and I think that is the plan at full build out, but it's likely gonna be just one or two buildings for a few years as they develop more programs. 

Again, totally agree with you, but would love to hear your vision. 

Yes, series of buildings, plazas, hard and soft-scapes, streets, sidewalks, canopied corridors…

Not just an educational building or any single-use building, but an environment and context that support a vast & integrated community of collaborations on research, experimentation, design, thought leadership & commercialization.

We’re talking “work, live, play” but broken down into component parts and rearchitected to create an ecosystem out of which emanates cutting-edge insights.

In that ecosystem are also the means to get those insights proven, productized and ultimately commercialized.

From just live-work-play 

to

Live, learn, idea-generate, recreate, play, socialize, showcase, trade, research, experiment, problem-solve, author, design, develop, deploy, negotiate, fund-raise, recruit 

a nod to the spatial geography of innovation 

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RANYC said:

Yes, series of buildings, plazas, hard and soft-scapes, streets, sidewalks, canopied corridors…

Not just an educational building or any single-use building, but an environment and context that support a vast & integrated community of collaborations on research, experimentation, design, thought leadership & commercialization.

We’re talking “work, live, play” but broken down into component parts and rearchitected to create an ecosystem out of which emanates cutting-edge insights.

In that ecosystem are also the means to get those insights proven, productized and ultimately commercialized.

From just live-work-play 

to

Live, learn, idea-generate, recreate, play, socialize, showcase, trade, research, experiment, problem-solve, author, design, develop, deploy, negotiate, fund-raise, recruit 

a nod to the spatial geography of innovation 

I completely agree. Technology Square in Atlanta is referenced heavily, and that is a series of buildings spread across 8-ish blocks, and I think what I am meaning is that Tech Square wasn't built in a day, and neither will Charlotte's innovation district. For a bit, it's going to be only two buildings. Hell, it's only one building currently. That being said, the vision is to always be more than one building, more than one use. 

Someone knows this, but who owns the lot next to the Dubois Center? I thought the school owned it and had planned to develop an office building/educational building there at one point. Am I misunderstanding? 

1 hour ago, Rufus said:

Someone knows this, but who owns the lot next to the Dubois Center? I thought the school owned it and had planned to develop an office building/educational building there at one point. Am I misunderstanding? 

Back in 2019 the story I was hearing from more than one UNCC Business school admin was that the previous dean (Steve Ott who was a prof of Real Estate) had negotiated an arrangement with Crossland (I believe) to build a similar tower on the parcel across 9th (not 100% sure about location). The plan was for Crossland to build to UNCC requirements and they would donate the building to the University (thus bypassing some significant state regulations). They were pretty tickled with this plan for a while.

Needless to say the pandemic took a big chunk out of the need for in-person MBA instruction, and Ott retired several years ago,  so I have not heard a peep about this plan in 4 years. Add in the Chapel Hill b-school branch, along with the possibility of a real 'campus' for the Wake MBA program and the Dubois center is much quieter than it once was.

FWIW this interesting sounding First Ward business just caught me eye on Google Maps. Google Maps, especially their firmographics, is an endless source of amusement for me.

image.png.5dbf1d4bbbd55db69fb375ce363d82d4.png

Edited by kermit
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Rufus said:

Levine owns it. As well as the lots across 9th street with the Enterprise and Lab School and the full square block across Brevard with the gravel parking lot. Hopefully now that McColl is involved Daniel will receive an offer he can't refuse for one or more of those parcels.

38 minutes ago, kermit said:

FWIW this interesting sounding First Ward business just caught me eye on Google Maps. Google Maps, especially their firmographics, is an endless source of amusement for me.

image.png.5dbf1d4bbbd55db69fb375ce363d82d4.png

Someone probably made that for checking in beers on Untappd lol.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
59 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Wood frame??? This is the old Museum of the South location.

Vela Uptown.jpeg

I wonder what sort of market research outcomes are driving the request for 10 extra floors?  Is there pent-up demand for Uptown residential, and specifically First Ward residential?  Is the Ellis crushing it, even with the smattering of vagrancy?  Are the 10 extra floors compelled by the fizzling out of the 7th & Tryon Development partnership between the County and Metropolitan which was to include a residential component?

1 hour ago, RANYC said:

I wonder what sort of market research outcomes are driving the request for 10 extra floors?  Is there pent-up demand for Uptown residential, and specifically First Ward residential?  Is the Ellis crushing it, even with the smattering of vagrancy?  Are the 10 extra floors compelled by the fizzling out of the 7th & Tryon Development partnership between the County and Metropolitan which was to include a residential component?

Which included a confirmed and submited 35 floor building that was scrapped by the county walking away.

• Sad 3

• 1 month later...