First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

3 minutes ago, kermit said:

If you are referring to the UNC System budget that money is long gone. Issues at many regional campuses means that they will not be able to find this money in the next few years.

The tech hub planning team does have participation from a senior exec at Honeywell Global HQ, so there is private interest in moving this forward as well. 

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Is he even a developer? Developers build things. 

DANIEL LEVINE: "I’D RATHER DO NOTHING THAN NOT DO IT WELL"

He's built three residential buildings in inner-city Charlotte in the past 10 years, and Levine Properties is part of four active projects in Charlotte right now. Not saying he's perfect, but yes he's a developer.

Edited by CLT Development
  • Confused 2

14 minutes ago, Prodev said:

He's built 450 apartments in 10 years. Homebuilders build more single family homes than that in a single year in Charlotte. 

Still more apartments than many developers in town lol. Techically Spacecraft has delivered 111 apartments in 10 years ;-). 

What does a tech hub collab with UNCC even mean? Is there evidence of these things ever working out?

Big Tech outposts across the country follow the talent, not fancy real estate.  Startups are not going to care about fancy office space.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, joenc said:

What does a tech hub collab with UNCC even mean? Is there evidence of these things ever working out?

Big Tech outposts across the country follow the talent, not fancy real estate.  Startups are not going to care about fancy office space.

Students, not workers, is what it means. Significantly building up the talent base of tech professionals coming out of Charlotte.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stw52 said:

I got super excited when i saw the Hot Topic label. God, what a disappointment, same Daniel Levine conversation going on. Tumbleweed........

I mean at least theres new parts to the convo. I would think a "Hugh McColl Swan Song" would give people some hope.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CLT Development said:

Students, not workers, is what it means. Significantly building up the talent base of tech professionals coming out of Charlotte.

How does a building do that? I don't get it. Do people go to Stanford and MIT because of nice buildings? They have some nice buildings because they are absurdly rich, cart before horse.

This Regional Technology and Innovation Hubs is just a waste of money, will not amount to anything except for a few buildings that are designed for research but actually just host customer service or sales orgs. 

Train armies of computer janitors when they're no longer needed (AI, already a extreme oversupply nationally and internationally), they're always chasing the trend of 10 years ago.

Edited by joenc
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

I mean at least theres new parts to the convo. I would think a "Hugh McColl Swan Song" would give people some hope.

A Hugh McColl Swan Song would be a lot more likely to come to fruition if it wasn't predicated on Daniel Levine being useful...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, CLT Development said:

Still more apartments than many developers in town lol. Techically Spacecraft has delivered 111 apartments in 10 years ;-). 

How many parcels around the city does spacecraft own? How long have they owned them? What percentage of parcels that they own have they developed. 😕

As noted here years ago, Daniel Levine built a house at 2350 Sharon Road. First permits were 2011 and final inspection was 2018. From this personal project one may, perhaps, be thankful he has attempted no more projects in our area. I wish I could see the contractor and architect change orders for this project. This information is from Meckenburg County:  https://property.spatialest.com/nc/mecklenburg/#/property/383041

Scroll down the page to "searchable permit site" and go from there.

His project there includes a "car folly". Anyone know what that may be? (This may be the name of the 1st ward "garage". 😏)

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, kermit said:

While I agree with CLT Development's new take that he is human and entitled to make all the mistakes he wants to, I am going to disagree with you.  I think the long-time owner of these very prominent parcels  does owe all of us something. Beyond his failure to meet contractual obligations to provide (paid for) parking for a major state university, his decisions have cost all Charlotte taxpayers a significant amount in forgone tax revenue (perhaps making a use tax more politically possible -- no developer in town would like to see that happen), he kept neighboring land values artificially low, and by failing to build housing, made transit more difficult to expand (although CATS certainly helped with this). Arguably his failure to build also contributed to the grocery desert in First Ward and Optimst Park as well.

Since his (non)development decisions truly impact all Mecklenburg residents, I think our criticisms are completely fair.  If he is bothered by remarks from the public he can certainly sell the land and be done with it, its his choice.

You make good points here.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Providence and Fairview - a short story.

not sure when this aerial is from, but gives a good overview of these two developments.

image.thumb.png.27f95ef0a06e58379957226842a85847.png

Every time I drive past that site, I think to myself, "That'd make a great park. Wonder who owns it."

At least now I know it'll probably not be redeveloped in my lifetime.

From the cover story on this weeks Biz Journal is all about North Tryon here are some tidbits I found interesting.  this is various clips from this article.

Stalled projects in North Tryon corridor on a new path? - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

""Of the 26.3 million square feet of office space in uptown, 68% is south of Trade Street. North Tryon Street has three dominant anchors in Bank of America Corp. (NYSE: BAC), Truist Financial Corp. (NYSE: TFC) and Fifth Third Bank (NASDAQ: FITB).

North Tryon’s big step into the future — a project to match the glitz of the many public-private partnerships that shaped South Tryon’s rise — fell apart in August when Washington, D.C.-based Metropolitan Partnership exited an agreement with Mecklenburg County to lead the Seventh & Tryon mixed-used development.

Seventh & Tryon’s first phase would have included a multifamily component, parking garage and hotel along Seventh Street. An office tower was planned as part of phase two. Changing market conditions and a difficult leasing environment caused delays in the planning and execution of the development agreement.

The county is now working on options for the sale and development of the property. The plan is to deal with each property individually as opposed to trying to redevelop the entire site at once.

A major linchpin in North Tryon’s redevelopment is the county-owned, 12-acre Hal Marshall site. Mecklenburg County has twice attempted to sell the property.

Currently, the building at 700 N. Tryon St. is leased to the Visual and Performing Arts Center. VAPA is in the third year of its initial three-year lease with a renewal option for another two years, ending in September 2026. The county foresees selling the property for redevelopment, says Pam Escobar, a spokesperson for the county, but that will likely be seven to eight years from now.

It is Levine’s unfinished parking deck that sits, seemingly abandoned, near Interstate 277 and First Ward Elementary. 

“We are 100% committed to the continued growth of center city Charlotte,” Levine says. “We are further committed to making certain First Ward is going to be as good as it possibly can be.”

But exactly how North Tryon and First Ward develop isn’t an easy answer, Levine says.

For the past 14 months, Charlotte Center City Partners, UNC Charlotte and Levine spoke of creating a technology hub along North Tryon Street near the university’s uptown campus.

In August, Charlotte applied for federal Tech Hub recognition through President Joe Biden’s CHIPS and Science Act, which includes billions of dollars for cities designated as such.

Charlotte’s tech hub would combine the strengths of the city’s fin-tech development among financial services companies and startups with UNC Charlotte’s offerings and its uptown campus. The project is in early discussions. The university would spearhead the effort to nurture tech-related research and entrepreneurialism.

The North Tryon Vision Plan sets out the aspirations for the district. Smith says the idea is to create something different from South Tryon’s assemblage of corporate headquarters and office-heavy development. ""

here is what is underway and under construction now 

""Uptown Trella is under construction at 426 N. Tryon St. with an anticipated completion in 2025. The apartment community is at the site of the former Hall House, a senior-living community. Hall House stood empty for years until Inlivian partnered with Urban Atlantic, a Washington, D.C.-based mixed-use housing developer.

The development will be a 353-unit complex with 30% of them — a total of 106 units — available to households earning less than the area median income and as low as $23,000.

A block south, demolition of the existing Main Library and Spirit Square buildings is almost complete. The new, $137 million library will rise five stories above Sixth and Tryon streets. Foundation work has begun, and steel erection should begin in May followed by a topping out in October. Opening is planned for summer  2026.

Across Sixth Street from the new library, work continues on the Carolina Theatre, which Foundation For The Carolinas agreed to renovate in 2012. The foundation is preserving and restoring the century-old theater on North Tryon Street. The 950-seat theater closed in 1978 and fell into disrepair, languishing for decades. It’s expected to become a hub for lectures, live performances, movies and symposiums.

In November 2023, the Charlotte City Council increased taxpayer funding for the Carolina Theatre to $6.5 million. Foundation executives anticipate opening the restored theater in fall 2024.""

>>one project not even mentioned in the Publix anchored mixed use development by Armada Hoffler which is NOT even on their website anymore.  does anyone know anymore on this?  

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...