First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

7 hours ago, DJ8hep said:

Usually with 32 you would be closer to 400’ with larger base floors and elevator penthouse. It appears as though this one just breaks the 400’ mark.

Given this is apartments with some parking levels I would say 350 feet at tops and that maybe generous.  I would say the residential floors are 10 feet and the parking levels 9 feet. 

• Like 2

Given this is apartments with some parking levels I would say 350 feet at tops and that maybe generous.  I would say the residential floors are 10 feet and the parking levels 9 feet. 

You think so? Now that I think about it The Ellis is 384’ and it’s 33 floors. Haha I was being overly optimistic about the height.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, DJ8hep said:

You think so? Now that I think about it The Ellis is 384’ and it’s 33 floors. Haha I was being overly optimistic about the height.

I think more of the parking is going to be integrated into the building but the Ellis has a mid block garage and the tower on one side of it and the parking garage is wrapped by stick built midrise apartments.   This Velo tower will the parking more in the building more as a podium style with the apartments above that.  That compresses the height vs a tower of 33 levels of apartments and one that is 33 levels with some being parking levels and some apartments.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Last time I will say this but this destruction of the old Barringer Hotel is a travesty.  NO OTHER NC city would be doing this today and all would have worked with the hotel and private developers to make something happen with it.  I guess when I want to see high rise older buildings outside the few we have I will go to Concord, or even Winston Salem which has many examples.  Yes Greensboro too and Durham and Raleigh.  Of course Wilmington and Asheville.  I will never forget what Charlotte Housing Authority did here    This building could have been saved and rest of the land around it developed for the few stick built units they are planning.  Plus to hear the head of CHA explain why he hated the Barringer family and how this had to go is disturbing.  Charlotte will gain a new stick built apartment building like everywhere else in the country but lose an all brick high rise which will NEVER be replicated in Charlotte.  Sadness. 

It’s stunning to me that in the year 2022, not just 2 or 3 stories but a 12-story and prominent historic structure can get torn down for social housing.  

Having said that, this property has been a Charlotte housing authority asset for 40 years including a stint as public housing, and CHA isn’t in the business of expensive restorative builds.  My sense is that had a private entity stepped up to take this on and to pay CHA fair value for CBD property right on our city’s most prominent business address, CHA would have agreed.  

As a relative newcomer to Charlotte without the depth of emotional connection to some of the city’s elements, my view is that the process of this structure coming down has been a very long one, a 4-decade process, and even with its exterior prominence from the outside looking in, no one thought to do anything with this structure besides use it to house the poor for a spell.  

It would appear to me that interest groups across many segments have deemed this a discarded structure.  Perhaps it’s a huge piece of structural crap.  Maybe it always was, even in its bones.  Not crazy to think that something might have been built poorly in the late 1930s.

CHA is now using its capital to advance its core mission, as opposed to the mission of making Charlotte charming.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1

They would not sell the old Barringer hotel that was not even considered by them. Of course I would not have thought they would have renovated it themselves but they could have sold it and still built their stick built apartments.  The council bears some responsibility too as they could have vetoed this but did not. 

• Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

They would not sell the old Barringer hotel that was not even considered by them. Of course I would not have thought they would have renovated it themselves but they could have sold it and still built their stick built apartments.  The council bears some responsibility too as they could have vetoed this but did not. 

Council voted for 2 bond issuances to advance this, as did the County.  Plenty of places to stop this along the way but nothing worked.  I believe this structure might have been too far gone and perhaps selling it to a bidder with the condition that they save and restore the bldg might have been fairly restrictive on proceeds received to CHA, in which case they figured they might as well keep it and get 106 units of affordable housing right on Tryon for the next 50 years.  

I am irritated that something with public financing hasn’t really provided much detail on what’s being built.  Anyone know if this thing will come with a garage?  What’s it look like on side facing college?  Any plaza spaces, other amenities?  Will there be ground-floor activation or retail given it’s only a third affordable housing?

36 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Having said that, this property has been a Charlotte housing authority asset for 40 years including a stint as public housing, and CHA isn’t in the business of expensive restorative builds.  My sense is that had a private entity stepped up to take this on and to pay CHA fair value for CBD property right on our city’s most prominent business address, CHA would have agreed.  

Not only did I bring numerous private entities to to the bargaining table, but I brought one that offered to give them market value and build them a parking deck to help facilitate building a high rise for affordable housing. Inlivian offered the company a 99 year land lease which cancels out any historic preservation tax credits the private entity could have secured to help fund the preservation.

4 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Council voted for 2 bond issuances to advance this, as did the County.  Plenty of places to stop this along the way but nothing worked.  I believe this structure might have been too far gone and perhaps selling it to a bidder with the condition that they save and restore the bldg might have been fairly restrictive on proceeds received to CHA, in which case they figured they might as well keep it and get 106 units of affordable housing right on Tryon for the next 50 years.  

The structure was fine, the only issue is that it could not be used for housing, code says the ceilings were too low, the corridors too tight and there was not enough room for a kitchen. These aren't issues present if you build a hotel.

6 minutes ago, RANYC said:

I am irritated that something with public financing hasn’t really provided much detail on what’s being built.  Anyone know if this thing will come with a garage?  What’s it look like on side facing college?  Any plaza spaces, other amenities?  Will there be ground-floor activation or retail given it’s only a third affordable housing?

It will come with an egregious 2 spots per unit in the most transit connected neighborhood in Charlotte

• Sad 11

20 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

Not only did I bring numerous private entities to to the bargaining table, but I brought one that offered to give them market value and build them a parking deck to help facilitate building a high rise for affordable housing. Inlivian offered the company a 99 year land lease which cancels out any historic preservation tax credits the private entity could have secured to help fund the preservation.

The structure was fine, the only issue is that it could not be used for housing, code says the ceilings were too low, the corridors too tight and there was not enough room for a kitchen. These aren't issues present if you build a hotel.

It will come with an egregious 2 spots per unit in the most transit connected neighborhood in Charlotte

20 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

Not surprised.  I know she’s not directly responsible for CHA’s every move, but every time I hear the mayor speak, it sounds like cognitive dissonance, so not surprised we have a lot of public effort working at cross purposes 

Edited by RANYC

7 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

My contacts in the city and council were interested in saving this building as well. Inlivian, who's board of directors are appointed by the city, did not care to listen. I had planned to file a conventional rezoning of the property to down zone it, but was told by my employer at the time that the media circus would have lead to my dismissal and I needed a job lol.

When you say appointed by the city, are you referring to council which appoints?  I’m questioning this city’s affordable housing treadmill.  When money gets thrown at an issue without clarity on its root causes, perhaps you get more Inlivian misadventures, and maybe we ain’t seen nothing yet.

Edited by RANYC

2 hours ago, CLT Development said:

This is an absolute travesty. Two spots per unit? That would be pretty high even outside of Uptown, I feel like. Who the heck needs two spots per unit in the center of a major city, right on a light rail line and within walking distance of thousands of offices?