First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

32 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Does he or his company not have any social media presence? Honestly never tried looking but surprised he doesn’t get bombarded with comments about his companies incompetencies  from the parking deck disaster to all the prime spots uptown he’s holding hostage. 

His company’s website hasn’t been updated since 2014…

There is a contact form though. How many submissions do you think would crash the site?

http://levineproperties.com/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what’s going on with the redevelopment of the former site of the Museum of the New South on College St.?  The last time that I was there three months ago, nothing was happening.

https://charlotte.axios.com/311385/new-details-work-begins-next-year-on-32-story-apartment-tower-replacing-the-levine-museum/

2C3F8C31-F2F0-4470-8329-2D5C984703A9.jpeg

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Does anyone know what’s going on with the redevelopment of the former site of the Museum of the New South on College St.?  The last time that I was there three months ago, nothing was happening.

https://charlotte.axios.com/311385/new-details-work-begins-next-year-on-32-story-apartment-tower-replacing-the-levine-museum/

the developer from CT purchased the Museum of New South site for this tower in 2022 for $10.75 M so I will say this will happen just when is the guess.  But that is lot of money to have the land sit for a long time. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

the developer from CT purchased the Museum of New South site for this tower in 2022 for $10.75 M so I will say this will happen just when is the guess.  But that is lot of money to have the land sit for a long time. 

I agree that it’s going to happen.  I was just curious as to when.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JRCLT said:

Next to Inlivian’s project yes. Where the containers were I don’t think I’ve seen them there anymore.

So we should, eventually, get the 30 story tower next to Inlivian, the Vela tower, Ellis, and the inLivian project itself. That’s actually a dense pocket of about 1600 units and a few hotels

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, J-Rob said:

This idea of UNC Charlotte led tech-hub in First Ward is really exciting to me. I am sure it is years away from fruition. Still, can you imagine center city with a medical school and health hub in Midtown and a tech hub and innovation district in Frist Ward?  Could be really transformative.

Former Bank of America CEO Hugh McColl, UNC Charlotte leader Sharon Gaber team up on push for uptown tech hub

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/08/18/unc-charlotte-sharon-gaber-hugh-mccoll-tech-hub.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_23&cx_artPos=0#cxrecs_s

I agree.  Michael Smith and Levine were featured on this idea in bizjournals a few months back.  Might 7th and Tryon play a role in this, or perhaps too far away from UNC Charlotte's existing space in First Ward?  On a separate note, I just came across this Brookings Institute thought piece on Innovation Districts. 

The New Geography of Innovation Today, innovation is taking place where people come together, not in isolated spaces.

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/rise-of-innovation-districts/

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, RANYC said:

Might 7th and Tryon play a role in this, or perhaps too far away from UNC Charlotte's existing space in First Ward?  

I don't see why it shouldn't at least be considered. If that's not in the plans, then something is wrong. I love the Dubois Center, but there needs to be more than just one building for the school, and it should either be on the 7th and Tryon land or the land directly adjacent to the Dubois Center. This innovation district has been discussed since the 2020 Vision Plan, so I consider this better late than never. Actually, I'll believe it when I see shovels in the ground. With McColl at the helm, it bodes better than before. 

What better way to pivot from the news just a couple days ago to now entrenching the largest university in the region in Uptown? 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Rufus said:

I don't see why it shouldn't at least be considered. If that's not in the plans, then something is wrong. I love the Dubois Center, but there needs to be more than just one building for the school, and it should either be on the 7th and Tryon land or the land directly adjacent to the Dubois Center. This innovation district has been discussed since the 2020 Vision Plan, so I consider this better late than never. Actually, I'll believe it when I see shovels in the ground. With McColl at the helm, it bodes better than before. 

What better way to pivot from the news just a couple days ago to now entrenching the largest university in the region in Uptown? 

McColl has a long history of getting things done, and really loves Charlotte. If he is involved personally I could see this happening, but we will see.

• Like 3