Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

17 minutes ago, markhollin said:

New research postulates that Austin will nearly double in population by 2040, ranking it #1 in US as far as growth during that period.  Nashville comes in at #36 in growth during that same time frame.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/10/13/nashvilles-chief-rival-tops-list-of-american.html

Shows we'll be double the size of Memphis by 2040.  Yikes.

Many of those projections are unrealistic, in my opinion.  To just assume that current population growth trends will just continue indefinitely into the future is short-sighted.  I'm quite sure the growth in the Midwest and Northeast will not remain as relatively stagnant as it has over the past few decades seeing as how much of the reason for the stagnation was the rise of the sunbelt and the trend toward a big house in a warm suburban environment.  As the pendulum begins to swing back the other way again, more people will once again see those areas of the country as the attractive places to call home that they are.  

Similarly, I cannot see places like Austin maintaining that level of growth.  That isn't a knock against Austin, I just don't see how that's at all realistic.  In fact, for Austin's sake, I hope it doesn't grow that fast.  Growth is great, but the city has to be able to handle it.  Austin's sprawl and traffic issues right now are even worse than Nashville's.  Plus, and this is something Nashville doesn't have to deal with, Austin has to deal with the very real issue of water shortages.  The extreme droughts they've experienced over the past decade are not going to just go away. 

• Like 4

Obviously these are all just guesses but what I found interesting is that by these estimations it looks like Texas would be nipping at CA's heels as the biggest state by 2040. That would be pretty crazy. I wonder if Clarksville will ever finally be lumped into the Nashville Metro population numbers.  Interesting to see them projecting Clarksville to be almost 400,000 by then.

46 minutes ago, TNinVB said:

Wasn't Nashville on the verge of surpassing Memphis as largest city in Tennessee? I though I read that Nashville was less than 2,000 people behind Memphis. I would think that Nashville has already surpassed Memphis if it was that close.

The Nashville MSA surpassed Memphis MSA a few years ago. Greater Nashville is substantially more populated than Memphis these days..... :-)

7 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

If you go to the Wikipedia list of TN largest cities, Nashville is now first... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_cities_and_towns_in_Tennessee_by_population 

The Nashville and Tennessee wiki page really needs to be updated. Lots of old info. And on the TN page it says memphis is the largest. Nashville is clearly the biggest city in this state.

51 minutes ago, TNinVB said:

Well I knew that the Nashville metro is the largest, it was the city population that made Memphis the largest city in TN. So I'm guessing that you guys are saying that Nashville is officially the largest city in TN now? 

Yes. The next census should prove it. Like you said, Nashville has 2,000 people less than Memphis. However, that article stating that was published back in 2015. So, knowing the difference between Nashville and Memphis growth rate, put two and two together...  People in Memphis still talking about "Well we're still bigger than Nashville". Only if they knew lol

Edited by Nashtitans

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

If you go to the Wikipedia list of TN largest cities, Nashville is now first... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_cities_and_towns_in_Tennessee_by_population 

That's because they are using the Memphis estimate from 2013.

As of 2015 estimates, the margin was 1,160 in favor of Memphis.

When the 2016 estimates come out (May 2017), Nashville will likely be in the neighborhood of 7-10,000 ahead of Memphis (depending mostly on whether they estimate another Memphis decline).

10 minutes ago, Nashtitans said:

Yes. Can't wait for the census to come out to prove it. Like you said, Nashville has 2,000 people less than Memphis. However, that article stating that was published back in 2015. So, knowing the difference between Nashville and Memphis growth rate, put two and two together...  People in Memphis still talking about "Well we're still bigger than Nashville". Only if they knew

Eh, I don't think it's that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. Bragging rights are worth what, exactly? 

Also, these are still Census Estimates. The actual decennial Census is the only thing that will "prove" that. And that won't be until 2020. So Nashville can't officially pass Memphis until then.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, UTgrad09 said:

Eh, I don't think it's that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. Bragging rights are worth what, exactly? 

Also, these are still Census Estimates. The actual decennial Census is the only thing that will "prove" that. And that won't be until 2020. So Nashville can't officially pass Memphis until then.

And things can change in a short amount of time. As people are priced out of Nashville, more affordable cities like Memphis may become more appealing to those who want true urban living over living in the outskirts of the Nashville MSA. There are a lot of great things going on in Memphis, and eventually people will start to take notice. I don't foresee myself moving back to Memphis (I like Nashville too much), but there's a lot of neat stuff happening there that makes me miss it.

Edited by VSRJ

http://www.newschannel5.com/news/new-hotel-brings-hundreds-of-rooms-to-expensive-downtown-area

" Across the street from the Westin, crews also constructed a JW Marriott. Once completed, it will be the tallest building in the city. "

???? The video said it'd be taller than the att building when its only 385 feet and the att is 617. Just something I wanted to show y'all dont trust everything you see on the news lol..

9 minutes ago, Nashtitans said:

http://www.newschannel5.com/news/new-hotel-brings-hundreds-of-rooms-to-expensive-downtown-area

" Across the street from the Westin, crews also constructed a JW Marriott. Once completed, it will be the tallest building in the city. "

???? The video said it'd be taller than the att building when its only 385 feet and the att is 617. Just something I wanted to show y'all dont trust everything you see on the news lol..

I'm guessing they meant tallest hotel?

I've noticed that some of these new outlets go by "occupied floors" when talking about "tallest"...which of course, has no effect on height.  Not saying that's the case here...but I've heard some of them use that language before.  Of course, I'm pretty sure 505 will be the "tallest" by occupied floors...right?

New walkability scores are out, which also includes bike friendly and transit friendly scores for 141 US, Canadian, and Australian cities (mostly US though), though not all were scored on bike and transit friendliness: https://www.walkscore.com/cities-and-neighborhoods/

I don't think it will surprise many people to know that Nashville didn't fare well at all.  135th (of 141) in pedestrian friendliness.  88th (of 102) in transit friendliness.  92nd (of 93) in bike friendliness.  Embarrassing.  

It SHOULD be said though, however, that what brings our score way down are all of the outlying suburban areas the city limits encompass.  Downtown, areas of East Nashville and Midtown score far higher than the city's overall score, as you might have guessed.  A neighborhood-by-neighborhood breakdown of the city can be seen here: https://www.walkscore.com/TN/Nashville-Davidson

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BnaBreaker said:

New walkability scores are out, which also includes bike friendly and transit friendly scores for 141 US, Canadian, and Australian cities (mostly US though), though not all were scored on bike and transit friendliness: https://www.walkscore.com/cities-and-neighborhoods/

I don't think it will surprise many people to know that Nashville didn't fare well at all.  135th (of 141) in pedestrian friendliness.  88th (of 102) in transit friendliness.  92nd (of 93) in bike friendliness.  Embarrassing.  

I wonder how we would rank if it just covered the old city (pre-Metro). Considering huge swaths outside the old city are un-sidewalked suburbs (a few hundred square miles), that would tend to sink us overall in that regard.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fieldmarshaldj said:

I wonder how we would rank if it just covered the old city (pre-Metro). Considering huge swaths outside the old city are un-sidewalked suburbs (a few hundred square miles), that would tend to sink us overall in that regard.

Great minds, my friend...I had that very same thought right after I posted it, and edited my above post accordingly.  Although I couldn't find an overall number for the core of the city, the second link I posted does break it down by neighborhood.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1