Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Gabe Klein is an entrepreneur, an author, a former commissioner of the Chicago Department of Transportation and a one-time executive with Boston-based Zipcar. With a career history involving both the public and private sectors, Klein frequently speaks about issues involving the man-made environment, with a particular focus on transit and technology. Relatedly, he penned Start-Up City: Inspiring Private and Public Entrepreneurship, Getting Projects Done.

In June, Klein was a guest speaker during a meeting of the Nashville chapter of Urban Land Institute, touching on 30-plus themes and topics from Gear Up 2020: Rapid Goal Setting for a 21st Century Nashville. Here, the Post sums up 10 of his ideas and calls to action:

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/nashville-post-magazine/article/20834678/an-outsiders-take

• Like 2

Big AMEN from me on his evaluation of the management of street parking in Nashville. It has been my experience that vehicles parked at expired meters are rarely ticketed and almost never towed. I have walked past blocks of vehicles parked with flashing "expired" meters.

In two weeks working at TPAC this month, on many days there were cars parked in a driving lane of 6th Ave N between Church and Union (the entire block) despite "no parking or standing anytime" signs. Also, many blocks with meters have been posted as no parking during rush hours to promote traffic flow and vehicles routinely park in violation are are left undisturbed.

Bring on the Meter Maid Brigade! 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, titanhog said:

Who are your top 3 landowners you wish would sell and allow redevelopment?

Mine: 1. Scrap Metal Yard on east bank

2. Beaman

3. Palmer

I've got one. The Hotel Tulane site on Church, which would be perfect for a supertall. Vacant/parking lot now for almost 60 years.

• Like 4

On 9/23/2016 at 2:17 PM, markhollin said:

Gabe Klein is an entrepreneur, an author, a former commissioner of the Chicago Department of Transportation and a one-time executive with Boston-based Zipcar. With a career history involving both the public and private sectors, Klein frequently speaks about issues involving the man-made environment, with a particular focus on transit and technology. Relatedly, he penned Start-Up City: Inspiring Private and Public Entrepreneurship, Getting Projects Done.

In June, Klein was a guest speaker during a meeting of the Nashville chapter of Urban Land Institute, touching on 30-plus themes and topics from Gear Up 2020: Rapid Goal Setting for a 21st Century Nashville. Here, the Post sums up 10 of his ideas and calls to action:

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/nashville-post-magazine/article/20834678/an-outsiders-take

While I'm incredibly supportive of many of the policies Kline advocates, I can't be the only one who thinks Vision Zero is asinine. What's the point of setting goals that can never be met? Why not instead, set reasonable goals and work to implement policies that can help achieve them? $.02.

Edited by Rockatansky

3 minutes ago, Rockatansky said:

While I'm incredibly supportive of many of the policies Kline advocates, I can't be the only one who thinks Vision Zero is asinine. What's the point of setting goals that can never be met? Why not instead, set reasonable goals and work to implement policies that can help achieve them? $.02.

It's rhetorical. TDOT has pushed Vision Zero in the past and their officials will tell you they are much aware that it is all but impossible to have no traffic fatalities nine years from now (barring the zombie apocalypse). They do have more realistic goals outlined in their SHSP, though.

It's a matter of how the goal is utilized. If people in power view the goal as unreasonable, and do not try to improve upon safety because of that unreasonableness, then it would have been better to state a more realistic goal.  However, if each roadway (vehicular and pedestrian) is viewed as a tragedy that could have been prevented, then the goal of no deaths could focus resources on the problem.  

The next 10-20 years are going to be intriguing when it comes to transit safety. The age of autonomously driven vehicles is upon us, and if policies, procedures, and infrastructure changes are made then Vision Zero does become a realistic goal. Hopefully it will become like air travel.  We will likely always have some rate of airline crashes, but each event is thoroughly investigated and policies are put into place to prevent future repeated fatalities. 

Autonomous drive has the potential to totally reshape the way society views life. 100 years ago society accepted an infant mortality rate of 10%. Seeing 1 out of 10 babies die in their first year of life is mind boggling to us today, but that was the normal in the early 20th century.  In 50 years I believe we will look back at vehicle fatality rates the same way.  People then will look back and find it mind boggling that we allowed ~30-35,000 people yearly to die in a car (that equates to all the American fatalities in Vietnam happening every 22 months or so).

My wish is that the landowners of these properties sell, sell, sell! 

I'm for putting significant buildings on these three notable locations in the downtown core:

1. Tulane Hotel site at Church Street & Polk Avenue. It has been a surface parking lot for FAR too long.

2.  Church of Christ on 5th between Commerce & Church Streets, along with the adjoining surface parking lot.

3.  Surface lot at 2nd Avenue & Church Street.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, WebberThomas4 said:

I like this game. 

1. PSC Metals

2. Stadium Inn

3. State parking lots

1. God yes to the Stadium Inn, I hate that that is one of the first things people see when they drive into Nashville.

2. PSC Metals seconded

3. This entire area on the North side of the stadium (big empty parking lots and single story warehouse buildings so close to downtown)

This.jpg

Edited by PaulChinetti
  • Like 3

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/2016/09/27/nashville-pro-soccer-backers-unite-push-mls-team/91117302/\

http://www.wbir.com/sports/nashville-pro-soccer-backers-unite-in-push-for-mls-team/326820791

Great news for a potential MLS team!!

They have talked to several MLS leaders and been talking to architects about a potential site. Also DMD soccer and the nashville MLS organization are now working together. This really heighten our chances. I really want an MLS team it would be amazing.

Edited by Nashtitans
  • Like 4

Nipper Stadium where University Of Cincinnati and USL FC Cincinnati play was just renovated from 35,000 to 40,000.  The only problem I see MSL having is that most stadiums are around 20,000 or less.  But if Vandy can pull it off they can have something nicer than Nipper that can meet MLS requirements. 

Nippert Stadium.jpg

Nipper 2.jpg

• Like 1

I like the idea of Vandy and a MLS team sharing a stadium as far as costs for both sides but I think the problem with that is Vandy should have a stadium on campus to help draw students to the game and still have that college atmosphere, whereas the MLS team should have a stadium right downtown like the Sounds, Preds and Titans. I think Vandy's new stadium should be built on the current parking lots close to the stadium now and tear down the football stadium for a parking garage!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Titans10 said:

I like the idea of Vandy and a MLS team sharing a stadium as far as costs for both sides but I think the problem with that is Vandy should have a stadium on campus to help draw students to the game and still have that college atmosphere, whereas the MLS team should have a stadium right downtown like the Sounds, Preds and Titans. I think Vandy's new stadium should be built on the current parking lots close to the stadium now and tear down the football stadium for a parking garage!

I wish they would tear down all that industrial stuff next to the Nissan. It's a total eyesore. Perfect area for a stadium.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Titans10 said:

Vandy's new stadium should be intimate and up close to the field. A soccer field won't allow that. It should have two levels with a bleacher level above and overhanging the field level somewhat. And it should be all chair back, club width seats to attract more casual local fans who are looking for good value in a college football experience. Make it a place to go and have a good time with modern restrooms, quality concessions and other high-end college football attractions and fill up the stadium with locals.

Make it more like a Preds game experience!

• Like 3

One very important thing you guys are forgetting. You can't sell alcohol (or advertise it) on a college campus. Considering this would be a significant revenue stream and source of sponsorship for an MLS team, I can't see a partnership working here. And Vandy would never consider building an off campus stadium. 

Edited by nashvillwill

9 minutes ago, nashvillwill said:

One very important thing you guys are forgetting. You can't sell alcohol (or advertise it) on a college campus. Considering this would be a significant revenue stream and source of sponsorship for an MLS team, I can't see a partnership working here. And Vandy would never consider building an off campus stadium. 

This isn't true. 

• Like 1