Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Developer Bruce McNeilage, who has already sold-out 90% of his Solo East prject that features condos for as low as $99,000, is now working on Solo South, Solo West, and Solo North concepts.  Has not announced which locations yet, but has released a rendering and plans to break ground by late spring of 2017.  As soon as specific sites are announced, I'll get that info placed in the appropriate geographic threads:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/10/24/99000-condos-planned-nashville/92679798/

Solo South.JPG

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CenterHill said:

What's a dial?   

Reckon you never heard Don Pardo say to the TV audience "Don't touch that Dial!", on the older TV game-show episodes of "The Price Is Right" and of "Jeopardy".  Back then "The Price is Right" was hosted by Bill Cullen and on "Jeopardy" it started with Art Fleming.

But the point as others has said it that a "dial" was the "Channel Changer", usually a disk-shaped piece of material, usually some molded plastic, with etched or molded-in numbers and/or letters, these numbers representing a graduation of values.  Dials or the rotary knob used to operate them were used to show or to change some value in control of a device, and the term basically is "vestigial" from the analog age.  Dials were nothing but rotary controls and on TV's they were used primarily to control channel selection.  Dials also can be linear, with vertical or horizontal sliding knob levers which are positioned along a linear dial scale.

On phones, you may or may not have heard of the term "rotary-dial", which had finger holes arranged in circular array for "entering" a phone number.  "Entering" would have been a misnomer for a rotary-dial phone, and the word "dial" was applied to the action of actuating this device, as well as to the object itself.  I recall the first time I saw or used a digital push-button phone was at a phone booth (whats' that!) at the 1964-'65 NY World's Fair.

Now the phrase "dial a number" remains in common use, even though dials usually are in the form of a face-place with buttons, or some form of display screen with an interactive image representation as such, with the values placed on or next to the buttons.  Perhaps the most common current use of a dial in the home today is to control the burners and temperature on a range-oven and to set cooling of many standard refrigerators.  Some children grow up never having to deal with a dial, unless they have to read the dial on a pressure gauge.

TV Channel-changer Dials with standard VHF and UHF selectors
TV dial2_sml.jpg

• Like 1

Rookzie,

Don't touch that dial...

Give me a ring..

Maybe you just need a ride in the rumble seat..

It is getting more apparent everyday, that we just show how blasted old we are getting to be. I remember when I was a kid my parents said the same type things.

My Mom referred to airplanes when she was little as flying machine. She said when one flew over everyone would yell and scream...flying machine..flying machine.

That's one I am glad we don't use any longer. It would be funny to see everyone on the street yelling and screaming it.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Rookzie,

Don't touch that dial...

Give me a ring..

Maybe you just need a ride in the rumble seat..

It is getting more apparent everyday, that we just show how blasted old we are getting to be. I remember when I was a kid my parents said the same type things.

My Mom referred to airplanes when she was little as flying machine. She said when one flew over everyone would yell and scream...flying machine..flying machine.

That's one I am glad we don't use any longer. It would be funny to see everyone on the street yelling and screaming it.

I do still find some groups in some locations that use the real old-school phrase "electric stairs" for an escalator ─ Boston and even Seattle, in particular.  That one always "snagged" me the hardest. -=:ph34r:=-

5 hours ago, bhibbs said:

Hopefully this post from my phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruh-Roh!... Turn the page....

EDIT:  According to NewsChannel5....
"He was unsteady on his feet and refused to leave the property at least three times, according to police documents. 

As officers approached him, police said he turned to walk away. Investigators said due to the level of intoxication, he could not take “reasonable care of himself.”  

He was taken into custody and charged with public intoxication.

On Friday afternoon, documents showed the case against Chase had been dismissed. Details on the reason behind the dismissal had not been released."

Nothing has happened here it seems.  This probably needs to be moved to the Coffee Shop

Edited by rookzie

The IKEA in Memphis will be opening in six weeks.  This piece includes a video interview with an executive (Joe Roth) who says IKEA is actively looking in Nashville, but they have not found a site ("committed to any location"). The company needs 25-30 acres with high visibility near a major highway for a store. A major issue is the cost of land gets very high the closer it is to the population centers. He mentioned that they may be able to build on a smaller site with a different parking configuration (parking deck/garage/ramp). 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2016/11/01/ikea-lays-out-vision-nashville-location/93139062/

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

The IKEA in Memphis will be opening in six weeks.  This piece includes a video interview with an executive (Joe Roth) who says IKEA is actively looking in Nashville, but they have not found a site ("committed to any location"). The company needs 25-30 acres with high visibility near a major highway for a store. A major issue is the cost of land gets very high the closer it is to the population centers. He mentioned that they may be able to build on a smaller site with a different parking configuration (parking deck/garage/ramp). 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2016/11/01/ikea-lays-out-vision-nashville-location/93139062/

The east bank by the topgolf would make sense based off their Atlanta location but the price may be too high. Maybe Bellevue or Goodletsville?

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

The Ikea in Woodbridge, Va. (outside of D.C.) has a parking garage. The land that it sits on doesn't seem like 25-30 acres.