Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Were you in the grass? The person directly behind me was telling their friend all about the surrounding buildings and what was being built, by who, and for what purpose. I thought it may have been a fellow geek and was tempted to ask, but I didn't. 

Oh, and I agree. The Hatch Show montage was great. I also loved the beginning of that video with all of the 50's/60's era Nashville videos. 

Edited by nashvillwill
  • Like 1

What a weekend at Bridgestone. Kudos to Powers Management Company (Nashville Predators)! This is what good management looks like.

Georgia Florida Line - Preds vs Blackhawks - Adele - Adele !!WOW!!

As far as weekends go, this one might just take the cake.

Bridgestone Arena is set to host one of the top four-day stretches in its almost 20-year history, complete with some hockey on Friday and bookended by three shows from two of the biggest artists in music.

It all begins on Thursday night when the winners of three consecutive Country Music Association Vocal Duo of the Year Awards Florida Georgia Line brings their "Dig Your Roots Tour" to Bridgestone Arena, their first headlining visit to the venue. Cole Swindell, The Cadillac Three and Kane Brown will round out the evening's lineup.

Less than 24 hours later, the most anticipated season of Nashville Predators hockey begins when the Preds host the Central Division rival Chicago Blackhawks in Smashville for what is sure to be a raucous atmosphere as the Preds begin their chase for the Stanley Cup. The day begins with the annual Preds player Gold Walk presented by Nissan and a Plaza Party presented by Lee Company, all leading up to the Predators and Blackhawks facing off at 7 p.m., a game that will be broadcast nationally on NBC Sports Network.

As if that wasn't enough, Grammy Award winning international superstar Adele will play not one, but two shows at 501 Broadway on Saturday and Sunday to round out another weekend full of world-class hockey and musical entertainment.

But that's just what Bridgestone Arena does.

"We have never had an opening weekend like we're about to enjoy this week," Predators and Bridgestone Arena President and CEO Sean Henry said. "It starts with Florida Georgia Line, and they kick off the weekend with a fantastic show. Then, for the first time ever, Opening Night on national television, which is absolutely incredible. And then, we welcome Adele to close out the weekend with two shows, Saturday and Sunday, one of the few cities that get a chance to host her and someone who has never played the building before.

"So in four short days, we have a lot of firsts, but hopefully, this is just the beginning of our firsts this season."

Edited by Guest

Exactly! The utilization of the facility is off the charts. This leads not only to additional tax revenue but also strengthens the case for a timely implementation of the proposed arena/block upgrades.

43 minutes ago, Nashtitans said:

Oh yeah, western conference finals or bust. We're good in every position except goal tending. I hope Pekka Rinne doesn't fail us, he hasn't been too good lately. Getting PK Subban was an enormous addition. I think this the year we can go all the way and show the Stanley Cup around Nashville. Maybe I'm being too optimistic.:D

I'd take a banner of any sort, hardware is a bonus.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, UTgrad09 said:

Since the subject was up, I looked up the Pollstar rankings for arenas (and, consequently, other venues) in terms of ticket sales. Since 2016 is incomplete, I looked up the final 2015 numbers...

Venue - concert ticket sales - world rank - US rank

Arenas:

Bridgestone Arena - 614,557 - 12 - 5

Theaters:

Ryman Auditorium - 288,494 - 12 - 6

Schermerhorn Symphony Center - 180,444 - 35 - 26

Andrew Jackson Hall - 138,641 - 49 - 36

Amphitheaters:

Ascend Amphitheater - 44,279 - 74 - 70

Clubs:

City Winery Nashville - 45,261 - 92 - 80

Marathon Music Works - 38,310 - 99 - 86

3rd & Lindsley - 37,016 - 101 - 88

Exit/In - 22,672 - 134 - 105

Total ticket sales in these 9 venues: 1,409,674 

I'm not going to list out all of our competition, but it's safe to say that Nashville does extremely, extremely well for a city of this size (no shock, really). I'd have to spend a day to break down the numbers between all cities/metros to get an actual rankling, though.

Of note:

Stats Methodology

In determining chart rankings, Pollstar looks at all dates worked by the top global touring artists during the 12-month calendar year. The Pollstar box office database contains more than 46,000 show reports in 2015 for a gross of about $7 billion. For many tours, we have 100% of the detailed box office reports but others require varying degrees of estimated projections to determine a true picture of the complete touring landscape.

So there may be a few omissions here (such as what Nashville draws from CMA Fest...). I think the biggest surprise to me was how highly ranked the Symphony Center and Andrew Jackson Hall were.

Holy cow, you mean Nashville has four of the top 50 arenas/musical venues in the entire world??  Did I read that correctly?  That is unreal!

I often travel and sometimes see things in other cities our size that we don't have.  What are some things you've seen other cities our size have that you wish we had?

Some I can think of off the top of my head:  

1. Mass Transit

2. 700'+ tower

3. Four Seasons hotel

4. Downtown high-end retail (hopefully coming)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, titanhog said:

I often travel and sometimes see things in other cities our size that we don't have.  What are some things you've seen other cities our size have that you wish we had?

Some I can think of off the top of my head:  

1. Mass Transit

^^^ This. Well, to be more specific, high-capacity rapid transit operating in dedicated ROW.

• Like 3