Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

^ I could be wrong, but doesn't Nissan Stadium only hold 65,000?  If that's the case (provided with a retractable roof) wouldn't they need to add about 10,000-15,000 seats to host a Superbowl or College Football Playoff National Championship Game (I think that's what you meant by NCAA Final Four)?

Edited by L'burgnative

17 minutes ago, L'burgnative said:

^ I could be wrong, but doesn't Nissan Stadium only hold 65,000?  If that's the case (provided that a retractable roof) wouldn't they need to add about 10,000-15,000 seats to host a Superbowl or College Football Playoff National Championship Game (I think that's what you meant by NCAA Final Four)?

Both end zones could add seats if necessary....but anything over 75K might be pushing it for the regular season for the Titans.

^ ^ ^ Most of the Super Bowl hosts are in the 65-70,000 seat range, and if a roof were to be put over Nissan, they would most likely add more seats in the end zones anyway. When it comes to NCAA Basketball finals, thy usually have reduced capacity due to the basketball floor set-up.  So a facility normally is arranged in a 40-50,000 arrangement.

• Like 2

Dang; I'm surprised by that.  Seems they're leaving a lot of money on the table by not picking larger venues.  I could see wrapping the second deck and the skybox's around connecting the east and west sides behind the endzones.  Maybe a capacity of 75,000 and a boat load of more skybox's would be best.  I didn't think about the Basketball final four (which is what you meant), but the added capacity would might help for a bid on the CFP National Championship.  Also it may help the Music City Bowl in the Bowl Hierarchy.

Edited by L'burgnative

The real money is in the TV/advertising contracts and corporate sponsorship for these events (Super Bowl, Final Four, etc.) not ticket sales, so the number of seats doesn't matter much. Most of the tickets are given away to corporate sponsors anyway, which is why it's generally impossible for actual fans of the team to go to these events without shelling out four- and five-figure sums.

Usually the fewer number of seats are just used to add more luxury boxes, that's where the real money is.

Show me an example of an NFL stadium that was massively upgraded (retractable roof) and then allowed to host a SB.  My guess is that the NFL would only "allow" Nashville to host a SB if they built a brand new domed stadium due to our winter rain issues.  Have we reached the minimum number of hotel rooms?  There is a requirement for available rooms in X radius of the stadium.

1 hour ago, grilled_cheese said:

Usually the fewer number of seats are just used to add more luxury boxes, that's where the real money is.

Show me an example of an NFL stadium that was massively upgraded (retractable roof) and then allowed to host a SB.  My guess is that the NFL would only "allow" Nashville to host a SB if they built a brand new domed stadium due to our winter rain issues.  Have we reached the minimum number of hotel rooms?  There is a requirement for available rooms in X radius of the stadium.

New Orleans Superdome, but that was a special situation.

1 minute ago, grilled_cheese said:

The Superdome opened in '75 and had their first SB in '78.  I would not include cities like LA, NY, Chi, Houston, ATL, Seattle, etc in my statement/scenario.

Was referring to this statement: ' Show me an example of an NFL stadium that was massively upgraded (retractable roof) and then allowed to host a SB. ' It was massively upgraded but didn't need a retractable roof.  (It did need a new roof though.)  But, its an exception to the rule.

Edited by japan

13 minutes ago, japan said:

Was referring to this statement: ' Show me an example of an NFL stadium that was massively upgraded (retractable roof) and then allowed to host a SB. ' It was massively upgraded but didn't need a retractable roof.  (It did need a new roof though.)  But, its an exception to the rule.

I understand but it was it was already a previous host site.

19 hours ago, titanhog said:

I think the city will do everything in their power to always have the arena where it is.  It may be the most perfect location of any arena I've ever seen.  Not sure what they'd do if they had to replace it (probably play hockey in another spot for a year and rebuild in the same location).

From what I hear, if the football stadium ever needs replacement, they'll build the new one in the parking lot just east of the stadium (between the stadium and I-24) and then tear down the current stadium for the new parking lot.

Thats exactly what the Philadelphia eagles did for both the phillies and the eagles new stadiums. worked out well 

12 hours ago, japan said:

New Orleans Superdome, but that was a special situation.

The 2014 super bowl was held outside in Metlife Stadium which is in the meadowlands in New Jersey.... have you ever been to New Jersey in February? Trust me, I grew up there and its the last place you want to be that time of year. 

The location for super bowl comes down to infrastructure and which city bids the highest for it. Same with the NCAA football playoff and the NCAA final four. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

Regarding the number of hotel rooms- Indianapolis and Jacksonville have hosted superbowls. Given the number of hotel rooms coming online now, I imagine we will be a great city to host assuming we can have the roof. 

http://www.census.gov/construction/bps/txt/t3yu201606.txt

The 20 metro areas with the most new housing starts:

metro area...new units (multi family units) (% multi family)

1. Dallas-Ft Worth...26,697 (11,310) (42.4%)
  2. Houston...23,755 (5,257) (22.1%)
  3. Atlanta...20,189 (8,198) (40.1%)
  4. New York City...19,050 (14,089) (74%)
  5. Los Angeles...16,971 (11,937) (70.3%)
  6. Phoenix...14,856 (5,083) (34.2%)
  7. Washington...12,579 (5,883) (46.8%)
  8. Seattle-Tacoma...11,551 (6,433) (55.7%)
  9. Nashville...11,228 (5,084) (45.3%)
  10. Austin...11,154 (4,100) (36.8%)
  11. Orlando...10,656 (3,640) (34.2%)
  12. Denver...10,140 (5,016) (49.5%)
  13. Tampa-St Petersburg...9,565 (4,079) (42.7%)
  14. Miami-Ft Lauderdale...9,482 (6,023) (63.5%)
  15. Chicago...8,523 (4,821) (56.6%)
  16. Charlotte...8,353 (1,614) (19.3%)
  17. Las Vegas...8,132 (3,358) (41.3%)
  18. San Francisco-Oakland...7,286 (4,675) (64.2%)
  19. Portland OR...7,246 (3,225) (44.5%)
  20. Raleigh...6,292 (1,457) (23.2%)

Nashville is building more units then Austin, Charlotte, San Francisco, Chicago, Miami, and Denver. That's pretty crazy when you think of it. This city is changing

However, Nashville has more permits than Austin, though smaller and slower growing... strange.

Edited by Nashtitans
  • Like 3

On 9/17/2016 at 2:37 PM, grilled_cheese said:

My point stands.  Nashville will not host a Superbowl unless they build a brand new domed stadium, IMO.

I dunno....just because it hasn't been done, doesn't mean it can't be done.  Put a shiny new cover on Nissan...you never know....

On 9/18/2016 at 10:31 AM, grilled_cheese said:

Some loser from Cottontown (where?) wants to cut off transportation funding if the MJ decrim bill passes.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2016/09/18/state-lawmaker-threatens-funding-nashville-memphis-over-pot-bills/90522754/

Before I even look to see...it's Lamberth...right?  I looked....yep...this guy loves the spotlight.

• Like 1