Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Or, perhaps one should actually read the State Representative's objection before you decide to ride-off on your ill-conceived diatribe against "rural religious right" ha, whatever that boogieman is perceived to be.

Follow this Link to actually inform yourself before you comment...

"

Lamberth said he’s in favor of criminal justice reform — he noted the legislature recently eliminated a requirement that third-time simple marijuana possession be an automatic felony — but he said giving police two options of penalties would create a “miscarriage of justice” and “a Russian roulette situation.”

Moreover, he argued that Tennessee’s two biggest cities would be ignoring state law that he contends make the local ordinances pointless in the first place.

“It will create two standards of justice where at the whim of an officer, one person may face a $50 fine, the next person found with a small amount of marijuana could face up to 11 months and 29 days in jail.

“Not to mention the fact that they’re calling it decriminalization and they’re not erasing the state statute at all,” he said. “I mean literally this smells and looks like a political stunt to curry favor with certain constituencies in my opinion.”"

Edited by Guest

I mean, the guy definitely takes money from industries that would suffer from decrim. Like pharma, alcohol, prison, and tobacco (albeit the latter is only $750/yr). Don't know about his other views, don't really matter in this. But when 76% of Tennesseans are in favor of decriminalization, you can probably assume that number is representative of his own district and he'd therefore be voting against his constituents. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nashville_bound said:

Or, perhaps one should actually read the State Representative's objection before you decide to ride-off on your ill-conceived diatribe against "rural religious right" ha, whatever that boogieman is perceived to be.

"

Lamberth said he’s in favor of criminal justice reform — he noted the legislature recently eliminated a requirement that third-time simple marijuana possession be an automatic felony — but he said giving police two options of penalties would create a “miscarriage of justice” and “a Russian roulette situation.”

Moreover, he argued that Tennessee’s two biggest cities would be ignoring state law that he contends make the local ordinances pointless in the first place.

“It will create two standards of justice where at the whim of an officer, one person may face a $50 fine, the next person found with a small amount of marijuana could face up to 11 months and 29 days in jail.

“Not to mention the fact that they’re calling it decriminalization and they’re not erasing the state statute at all,” he said. “I mean literally this smells and looks like a political stunt to curry favor with certain constituencies in my opinion.”"

At face value, I completely agree.  I was incredibly pleasantly surprised to see the Rep's rationale, as I shared the exact same concern.  

That said, I think he's being pretty disingenuous here about his real motivations--and he kind of shows his hand in the last quote you posted.  Prior to the last amendment, the bill in question required officers to issue the $50 fine and then let the offending citizen be on his/her way.  It was only after being lobbied by the police department to leave it within the discretion of the officer-at-the-scene whether or not to write the citation or arrest the offending citizen that this "Russian roulette situation" came about.  

So when Lamberth says that this is a political stunt to curry favor with certain constituencies, is he referring to the constituency that is the Nashville Police?  Doesn't sound like it to me.  He's just talking out of both sides of his mouth and using a good argument to support his ultimate agenda of killing the ordinance without having to actually support or publicly state whatever reasons he's got for wanting to make that happen.  

3 hours ago, nashvylle said:

I think if we added a roof to our current stadium, we would host a super bowl. 

I am not going to jump into this, but Nissan Stadium is definitely one of bottom 5 stadiums in the NFL. It started with a poor (and cheap) design. Just drive by (let alone go in) other NFL stadiums and you will quickly see why. And with almost 2/3 of the seats in the upper bowl (cheap seats), raising the capital to renovate or build a new one becomes even more challenging. Ask any true NFL fan that travels for verification

You don't need a roof to host a Super Bowl - you need a quality stadium. I highly doubt any renovation could ever "fix" the massive shortcomings of Nissan Stadium

Bridgestone Arena was a home run, but I am embarrassed to have out-of-town guests visit Nissan Stadium

33 minutes ago, LA_TN said:

I am not going to jump into this, but Nissan Stadium is definitely one of bottom 5 stadiums in the NFL. It started with a poor (and cheap) design. Just drive by (let alone go in) other NFL stadiums and you will quickly see why. And with almost 2/3 of the seats in the upper bowl (cheap seats), raising the capital to renovate or build a new one becomes even more challenging. Ask any true NFL fan that travels for verification

You don't need a roof to host a Super Bowl - you need a quality stadium. I highly doubt any renovation could ever "fix" the massive shortcomings of Nissan Stadium

Bridgestone Arena was a home run, but I am embarrassed to have out-of-town guests visit Nissan Stadium

So what you think they should do then?

And i def agree about Bridgestone. One of the best, if not the best, location for an NHL stadium

5 hours ago, nashville_bound said:

"

I read the article and the reality of the situation doesn't back it up. First off, giving an officer discretion is not a new concept and can actually be useful. Disorderly conduct, domestic violence (non-physical), and traffic offenses are other examples of minor offenses handled based off an officer's best judgement. One offender might get caught with a pipe in his or her glovebox, another might have 19.5 grams and an unopened box of sandwich bags. It's common sense, and if you don't agree with the charge, you haven't lost "officer roulette". You can lawyer up and argue your case in court. Police aren't trying to play that game, its obvious they are sick of filling out the paper work and they are sick of taking people in for booking over petty crime, especially in the areas of Memphis and Nashville where violent crime is concentrated.

Second, city level decriminalization ordinances in prohibition states are not necessarily null and void. For example in Florida, a state that has not legalized or decrimed, Tampa, Miami, Miami Beach, Orlando, Key West just to list a few, have all moved from misdemeanor to civil penalties for minor pot offenses. Oh, and the state slashing highway funding in 2 major metropolitan areas because they overwhelmingly interpret misdemeanor and civil offenses with a slightly different perspective. Pull up a chair and we can talk about special interest political stunts all day long, what an asinine argument, especially if Lamberth has big pharma/tobacco in his back pocket (which I haven't verified but it fits the script)

Finally, what he mentioned the legislature did is a step in the right direction but the punishment still does not fit the crime nor does its solve the perceived underlying issue of drug abuse. Drug court is a damned revolving door. 

Before I wrap up, my statement about the "rural, religious, right" was not a blanket statement hence, "a large chunk". As a matter of fact, my best friend from Burns fits all 3 categories and recognizes the need for the ordinance. This group of individuals is simply less likely to appreciate the benefits of such an ordinance within the city limits of 2 urban areas. 

I hate polluting this thread with political arguments but I had to get that across. *steps off soap box*

Edited by claya91
added content
  • Like 3

As a Libertarian I agree that we should decriminalize pot for personal use, but your reasoning was to attack this Representative was ill-conceived.
In fact the entirety of you original statement is factually false. 
This 'attorney' (Rep. William Lambeth) is a graduate of William and Mary law school and is the Legislative Chairman of the Criminal Justice Committee. In other words I think it is self evident that he understands the prison overcrowding problem and the legal consequence of having a criminal record. Additionally, the article listed a bi-partisan, criminal justice reform bill that he sponsored (HB 1478) that became law in July. Further reading suggests why he disagrees with the local actions of the cities. And the of course you most over-the-top hyperbole of the post, "He's a wannabe crusader for a large chunk of the rural religious right trying to start a war." has no basis in fact thus my inquiry as to the boogieman.... 

I will finish with the fact that the state is well within its rights to withhold funds for laws that are counter to its own.....in fact the analogy is the Feds forcing our most recent Tennessee Special Legislative Session to append a law that would have lost our state Highway funds if left in place.
"

Because this attorney from Cottontown understands the major problem of overcrowding prisons in urban areas (especially for nonviolent offenses) , as well as the lifetime burden a misdemeanor possession conviction places on otherwise qualified individuals seeking gainful employment (keep in mind 18 states expunge DUIs), and recognizes bipartisan support for reform of these laws... Obviously not. And what's his suggestion instead? Nothing. He's a wannabe crusader for a large chunk of the rural religious right trying to start a war.  But hey, who wouldn't expect push back on a measure like this. Its controversial. Perhaps, a bit more than it seems like it should be."

4 hours ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

In one more bit of Stix shade, I was driving some friends from Philadelphia around town last week who had never been to the city before. We approached the roundabout from KVB and one asked, "Why are there a bunch of painted telephone poles askew in the ground? That's ugly..."

I laughed. A lot. 

That's funny.  When I was driving some friends around town, from a distance they thought Stix was just some poles being set up for something like a big revival tent.  As we got up closer, they said it was even uglier up close and would've looked better with a tent draped over them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

In one more bit of Stix shade, I was driving some friends from Philadelphia around town last week who had never been to the city before. We approached the roundabout from KVB and one asked, "Why are there a bunch of painted telephone poles askew in the ground? That's ugly..."

I laughed. A lot. 

Well, I reckon "ugly" seems to be more of a subjective term.  At least they didn't come right out and call it "tacky".  Had I heard that, then I would have shaken myself to death, and lost it from being too tickled.  Actually it sort of hurts my feelings that out-of-towners would call Stix ugly (the nerve of them! [LoL]), and I might tend to "internalize" it, but then I might just try to play if off as simply an unfinished, underfunded project, with the scaffolding not yet pulled down.

I only pray that they don't become actual lightning rods and catch on fire, or it''ll block traffic for 10 miles in each direction.

One Touch Make Ready passes third Metro Council vote, headed to DJ Barry

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2016/09/20/nashville-gives-final-approval-google-fiber-one-touch-plan/90739526/

6 hours ago, nashville_bound said:

As a Libertarian I agree that we should decriminalize pot for personal use, but your reasoning was to attack this Representative was ill-conceived.
In fact the entirety of you original statement is factually false. 
This 'attorney' (Rep. William Lambeth) is a graduate of William and Mary law school and is the Legislative Chairman of the Criminal Justice Committee. In other words I think it is self evident that he understands the prison overcrowding problem and the legal consequence of having a criminal record. Additionally, the article listed a bi-partisan, criminal justice reform bill that he sponsored (HB 1478) that became law in July. Further reading suggests why he disagrees with the local actions of the cities. And the of course you most over-the-top hyperbole of the post, "He's a wannabe crusader for a large chunk of the rural religious right trying to start a war." has no basis in fact thus my inquiry as to the boogieman.... 

I will finish with the fact that the state is well within its rights to withhold funds for laws that are counter to its own.....in fact the analogy is the Feds forcing our most recent Tennessee Special Legislative Session to append a law that would have lost our state Highway funds if left in place.
"

Because this attorney from Cottontown understands the major problem of overcrowding prisons in urban areas (especially for nonviolent offenses) , as well as the lifetime burden a misdemeanor possession conviction places on otherwise qualified individuals seeking gainful employment (keep in mind 18 states expunge DUIs), and recognizes bipartisan support for reform of these laws... Obviously not. And what's his suggestion instead? Nothing. He's a wannabe crusader for a large chunk of the rural religious right trying to start a war.  But hey, who wouldn't expect push back on a measure like this. Its controversial. Perhaps, a bit more than it seems like it should be."

•  

So his plan is to threaten pulling transportation funds instead of proposing his own bill that aligns with his beliefs.  Give me a break.

17 minutes ago, grilled_cheese said:

We are taking steps in the right direction finally!! Wine in grocery stores now this, only if we could get the state behind it now, which is strange since republicans claim to want to take the government out of your lives but won't let you smoke a plant.  

But it then there is stuff like this which tells you we will never make real strides. 

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/politics/opioid-lobby-spends-big-on-tennessee-politics-393955801.html?d=mobile

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/health/2016/09/19/there-more-opioid-prescriptions-than-people-tennessee/90358404/

Edited by Titans10
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Titans10 said:

We are taking steps in the right direction finally!! Wine in grocery stores now this, only if we could get the state behind it now, which is strange since republicans claim to want to take the government out of your lives but won't let you smoke a plant.  

But it then there is stuff like this which tells you we will never make real strides. 

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/politics/opioid-lobby-spends-big-on-tennessee-politics-393955801.html?d=mobile

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/health/2016/09/19/there-more-opioid-prescriptions-than-people-tennessee/90358404/

idk man, most states already have decriminalization bills. Even freaking Mississippi already has one. Like that article said, we're playing catch up. And other states are miles ahead. It's good to see stuff like this tho

Is legalization next up? What's next? I doubt it being how our state is. Who knows tho...we got some real backwards people in our government system. Bill Haslam has been doing pretty good tho.

Edited by Nashtitans

On 9/20/2016 at 7:08 AM, L'burgnative said:

I just hope Nissan doesn't decide to drop a CVT in it :)

Yes...I understand....I've purchased two of those transmissions so far...one at car purchase...the other at 100K miles.  Back to the topic at hand....

We could do a lot better than Nissan Stadium.

Edited by tragenvol

^^^ If Nissan sticks with those trannies they're going to wreck the companies reputation.  Although I believe the JDM's (Japanize Domestic Motors) have begun to take note from what the American Big Three has been doing for decades.  Build a piece of crap five year throw away car; they're out of warranty so who cares!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, L'burgnative said:

Although I believe the JDM's (Japanize Domestic Motors) have begun to take note from what the American Big Three has been doing for decades.

As I understand it, the term 'JDM' refers to a vehicle produced for the Japanese Domestic Market, not the makers themselves.

Edited by Rockatansky
  • Like 1