Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

12 hours ago, TNinVB said:

IKEA Woodbridge, Va.

It's a 4.5-acre building on a 12-acre parcel. In requiring 25- to 30-acre parcels, am I to extrapolate that IKEA has moved on to needing 400,000-square-foot buildings, for retail? How much cheap Swedish furniture can one town handle?

13 hours ago, WebberThomas4 said:

Maybe Bellevue or Goodletsville?

The only place in Bellevue that fits those requirements is the Sam's Club / Europa Golf parcels. It could go in Goodlettsville at the Blue Star Highway interchange.

21 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

The IKEA in Memphis will be opening in six weeks.  This piece includes a video interview with an executive (Joe Roth) who says IKEA is actively looking in Nashville, but they have not found a site ("committed to any location"). The company needs 25-30 acres with high visibility near a major highway for a store. A major issue is the cost of land gets very high the closer it is to the population centers. He mentioned that they may be able to build on a smaller site with a different parking configuration (parking deck/garage/ramp). 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2016/11/01/ikea-lays-out-vision-nashville-location/93139062/

21 hours ago, Nashtitans said:

They're not gonna put an ikea literally right next to downtown...I agree with bellevue and goodletsville...Smyrna????

The Atlanta IKEA sits on 15 acres and is literally right next to downtown.  It's 366,000 square feet and sits atop a parking garage with 1,600 spaces.

IKEA%20Atlanta_zpsmxsctfso.png

Meanwhile, the Tampa IKEA sits on 29 acres but is also next to downtown.  It's in what could be described as a warehouse district just east of downtown next to the harbor.

IKEA%20Tampa_zpsql4jwvhd.png

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, bhibbs said:

while not the most pleasant story in the world to read about, I thought some of you may be interested:

http://www.nashvillescene.com/news/cover-story/article/20839502/anton-kanevsky-jumped-to-his-death-from-a-31story-downtown-building-why

A lot of darkness.  Sounds like he definitely could have used some help from a psychologist.  If he really was hearing voices, there are people out there who could have helped him. Sad for the family.

Also...scary to think someone could have scaled the Snodgrass tower and jumped.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bhibbs said:

while not the most pleasant story in the world to read about, I thought some of you may be interested:

http://www.nashvillescene.com/news/cover-story/article/20839502/anton-kanevsky-jumped-to-his-death-from-a-31story-downtown-building-why

That was a tough read.

Probably a mystery that we will never truly understand.

As an introvert, I can understand that it's sometimes hard to convey your thoughts or feelings to others, so sometimes you just keep them bottled up. But I've never been in that dark of a place. 

Agreed that he needed a psychologist, or at least someone that he felt comfortable enough to objectively listen to his thoughts.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Even experts didn't forecast Nashville and Middle Tennessee growing this fast. A comparison with some predictions made in 2003, and with other peer cities:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2016/11/05/even-experts-didnt-forecast-nashville-middle-tennessee-growing-fast/93293958/

That is an interesting read.  Sam Hatcher, the Wilson County guy who said that the "next ring" of counties such as Trousdale County are starting to experience growth, is spot on about how the exurban counties are on the cusp of growth.  I drive through Smith County quite a bit, and while there aren't many new subdivisions, there's an awful lot of "sold" signs.  Even in Putnam County, the realtors' association is reporting that there's a record low inventory of homes for sale despite a record high number of homes under construction.  It's definitely an exciting time to be living in Middle Tennessee!

• Like 2

Not sure if they're correct about our metro areas being more populated than Austin and Charlotte.  Pretty sure they're both over 2 million.

Also...when they start talking about density here, I wish they would take into account how much of Middle Tennessee's land is really too hilly for much in the way of density and not include it in the area's size.

3 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Not sure if they're correct about our metro areas being more populated than Austin and Charlotte.  Pretty sure they're both over 2 million.

Also...when they start talking about density here, I wish they would take into account how much of Middle Tennessee's land is really too hilly for much in the way of density and not include it in the area's size.

Aren't Austin and Charlotte hilly too?

37 minutes ago, Nashtitans said:

Aren't Austin and Charlotte hilly too?

I'm not comparing our density to them (that's an entirely different storyline)...I'm just making a statement about how Nashville and the metro area is always seen as not very dense.  I remember a discussion on here about Nashville and Memphis and how Nashville's population includes an entire county...where Memphis does not.  However, Memphis doesn't have the same density issues we have...thus we should really only count "livable" land when doing density studies (no matter what city).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, titanhog said:

I'm not comparing our density to them (that's an entirely different storyline)...I'm just making a statement about how Nashville and the metro area is always seen as not very dense.  I remember a discussion on here about Nashville and Memphis and how Nashville's population includes an entire county...where Memphis does not.  However, Memphis doesn't have the same density issues we have...thus we should really only count "livable" land when doing density studies (no matter what city).

While I agree that it is an often overlooked fact that Nashville's density number is much higher than the statistics show, the unfortunate reality though is that even if you cut out all of the undevelopable land, Nashville would still probably only jump from being significantly behind the back of the pack, to being a part of the back of the pack, in terms of density figures.  Definitely an improvement, but still lagging far behind most major cities.  

4 hours ago, markhollin said:

Even experts didn't forecast Nashville and Middle Tennessee growing this fast. A comparison with some predictions made in 2003, and with other peer cities:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2016/11/05/even-experts-didnt-forecast-nashville-middle-tennessee-growing-fast/93293958/

I'm confused.  What are they referring to as "regional population?"  It says that "by 2035 Nashville will have Denver's current regional population of 2.7 million."  But as of 2014 Denver's CSA was at 3.345 million.  Initially I assumed they were just referring to MSA, but then they say that Nashville's "regional population" is higher than that of Austin's and Charlotte's, but their MSA populations are currently standing at 2 million and 2.4 million respectively, and are both larger than our 1.83 million.  

Also, this tidbit from the article made me a little sick: 

• 120,000 open space acres in Middle Tennessee have been developed since 1999 — 55,000 of those acres (roughly twice the size of Murfreesboro) were either farmland or forests.

I realize it's next to impossible to have this much growth without using some undeveloped lands.  People have to have a place to live, after all.  But there is no reason it should require destroying two Murfreesboros worth of beautiful, pristine Tennessee forests and farmland.  With a little bit of foresight by local governments and other municipal bodies, and a little bit of personal responsibility by developers, much of that land could be saved for future generations to enjoy.  

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

American City Business Journals, the largest publisher of metropolitan business news weeklies in the United States — with 43 business publications across the country (including Nashville Business Journal) has just selected the 44 top large-scale real estate projects in the US.  Includes a slide show. Nashville landed five of them: Capitol View, 222 2nd Ave., 5th & Broadway, Spectrum Emery midtown building, and Hill Center Brentwood.  Not sure exactly what the requirements were. When you look at all 44 projects, some are wonderful, and some are even more pedestrian that 222 2nd Ave. and Spectrum Emery.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/11/07/42-of-the-countrys-top-new-commercial-real-estate.html

• Like 2