Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

To me, it looked like they were clearing out bushes on 'The Sliver' today. The 'caution' tape would have been to keep people from trying to park there. There was no drilling equipment. Could it be that they're going to add more parking spaces? Or is this prep work for taking core samples? Maybe you pros could give us some insights.

They did quite a bit of drilling over the summer. I'm guessing this is just expanding the parking surface but I'd welcome a Walgreens:)

First Baptist Site. 

Turnberry is a name brand with deep pockets, no doubt.  But I think this makes the way for their project at the UMPH site smoother.  The need for 800+ additional rooms currently exists adjacent to the MCC. With Westin... and the JWM getting built, this FIrst Baptist site is much less likely to get a hotel... and possibly won't be developed for a decade, as it looks like Emery will be getting his office and apartment towers out of the ground soon enough too. Apparently, the church is in no hurry... so they can just sit on that site.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2014/12/15/ariz-developer-deal-falls-hotel-site-near-music-city-center/20439633/

Edited by MLBrumby

MCC expansion maybe?  I mention this because I remember reading about possible future need to expand the MCC in a decade or more and some of the sites mentioned were where the westin is going and where Bridgestone arena is.  well obviously the westin site is taken and I honestly hope that any future replacement for Bridgestone would actually be a rebuild in the Exact same location ( the location is perfect and there is no nearby space to build one)

so maybe the first baptist site will be used for that.

MCC expansion maybe?  I mention this because I remember reading about possible future need to expand the MCC in a decade or more and some of the sites mentioned were where the westin is going and where Bridgestone arena is.  well obviously the westin site is taken and I honestly hope that any future replacement for Bridgestone would actually be a rebuild in the Exact same location ( the location is perfect and there is no nearby space to build one)

so maybe the first baptist site will be used for that.

Ten years from now, though?  :sick:

I saw this Sunday and passed it along to William at the Post.

This is the two buildings that sit directly behind Yazoo. Both cinder block buildings. This will be parking for Well Placed Smiles that is on Gleaves and sits on the other side of the corner on which the buildings sit.

“The lot will include [tasteful] landscaping with trees that will enhance the corner and will be complimentary to our building,”

With that in mind, they would have to re build the arena in another location because of ongoing commitments like the Predators. Now they could build in the First Baptist parking lot site, however they cannot use eminent domain on a church. They would have to buy it outright. Then after that is completed, they could expand the CC on the site where the Bridgestone currently sits.

My thinking is Baptist, what ever the motivation, pooped in their cap on this one. They were in the catbird seat and now Westin / JWMarriot have significantly impacted the value of their site for top tier hotel use values. The conditions set on the project, demanding an onerous value, some might argue both unreasonable mean, yes, praise the lord, they are in a position whether they like it or not to hold .... for a while.

• Like 1

My thinking is Baptist, what ever the motivation, pooped in their cap on this one. They were in the catbird seat and now Westin / JWMarriot have significantly impacted the value of their site for top tier hotel use values. The conditions set on the project, demanding an onerous value, some might argue both unreasonable mean, yes, praise the lord, they are in a position whether they like it or not to hold .... for a while.

The site now would almost be better suited for residential. I agree with you on this.  Maybe we can get some insight from skyscrapergeek.

I expect Bridgestone Arena to have a long shelf life. Fans love the location. It's one of the best locations for a stadium in all of pro sports. The team Ioves the location and is doing a good job on upkeep. The league loves it. It's also one of the most heavily utilized venues in the country.

This isn't the NFL where everything has to be shinny and over the top. The team is also commited to the city. I don't forsee any threats to leave "unless", like we will inevitable (and in the near future) hear from the team across the river.

Yet, a time will come when the Arena is just past its service life. When that time comes (assuming downtown is still as healthy as it currently is), I'm sure people will want it to be as close as possible to where it currently sits. I could even imagine a scenario where the team plays a season in a temporary home while a replacement is built in the same spot at an accelerated pace.

• Like 3

The current landscaping at Well Placed Smiles is very 'tasteful' and 'enhanced' which is in line with the mission of the company.

There's a bobcat on The Sliver today moving dirt around and a small steamroller.

There are two red boxes on the 1000 Division site.  Does that mean we will soon have explosions?

The Predators and the Titans need to stay where they are and keep what they have maintained. The last thing I want to hear is that we need a tax increase to build a new stadium and new arena. 

If we keep getting tax increases to support sports, this city boy may say the hell with it, and buy a tract of land in Robertson County and live my retirement years out in the country. Instead of walking in the city, I can walk out in the country, and enjoy uninhibited sunsets.

I expect Bridgestone Arena to have a long shelf life. Fans love the location. It's one of the best locations for a stadium in all of pro sports. The team Ioves the location and is doing a good job on upkeep. The league loves it. It's also one of the most heavily utilized venues in the country.

This isn't the NFL where everything has to be shinny and over the top. The team is also commited to the city. I don't forsee any threats to leave "unless", like we will inevitable (and in the near future) hear from the team across the river.

Yet, a time will come when the Arena is just past its service life. When that time comes (assuming downtown is still as healthy as it currently is), I'm sure people will want it to be as close as possible to where it currently sits. I could even imagine a scenario where the team plays a season in a temporary home while a replacement is built in the same spot at an accelerated pace.

that is exactly what I was getting at, just not so eloquently. 

There's a bobcat on The Sliver today moving dirt around and a small steamroller.

There are two red boxes on the 1000 Division site.  Does that mean we will soon have explosions?

Or low-cost movie rentals.

Sounds like a paved parking lot to me.

• Like 1

The current landscaping at Well Placed Smiles is very 'tasteful' and 'enhanced' which is in line with the mission of the company.

You might have already had some blasting as the driller that is on site is being used for explosives holes and there is the blast mating on site too.

No, this is at the corner of Gleaves & Overton behind Yazoo.

Thank you!! It looks like I'll have a lot of driving around and picture taking to do when I come home next week. So excited to see all the changes :-)

I'm curious if anyone has thought to stop by and ask the workers what is going on??