Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

The Perch coming to downtown Nashville

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2014/12/01/perch-coming-downtown-nashville/19743081/

Glad this building is getting some life. This restaurant should do really well with the Courthouse and justice center workers and events at the Municipal. However, if they are banking on LP field and Sounds business, I think they are in for a rude awakening. The majority of sports fans do not want coffee, omelets, crepes, and fresh fruit. They want greasy food and beer. I expect most football fans eat and drink near Broadway and most Sounds fans will more than likely stay around Germantown/farmers market area.

And seriously that rendering....really?

From the article:

Adams expects The Perch Downtownto benefit from the Court Square Building's proximity to both the new Nashville Sounds ballpark and LP Field.

I applaud the effort and glad to see a developer take interest in rehabbing one of the shabbier buildings on this side of downtown.     I agree there aren't many food choices over there.     But, man, the Court Square Building is seriously isolated in terms of accessibility and foot traffic.    Unless you're coming from the north (jail, bail bonds), by foot you have to cross JRP to get to it, which is a tricky confluence of the 4-lane JRP, 3rd, 4th, a little spur off of Charlotte and buses circling the Central station.    By car, if driving east on JRP, you can't turn left onto 3rd, where Court Square is, and you find yourself (I know from having been in this trap many times) having to continue straight all the way over the Victory Memorial Bridge to make a u-turn on the east side and double back.    As a driver and a pedestrian, it's possibly my most dreaded place to navigate in town (well, other than Cool Springs).   

• Like 3

I applaud the effort and glad to see a developer take interest in rehabbing one of the shabbier buildings on this side of downtown.     I agree there aren't many food choices over there.     But, man, the Court Square Building is seriously isolated in terms of accessibility and foot traffic.    Unless you're coming from the north (jail, bail bonds), by foot you have to cross JRP to get to it, which is a tricky confluence of the 4-lane JRP, 3rd, 4th, a little spur off of Charlotte and buses circling the Central station.    By car, if driving east on JRP, you can't turn left onto 3rd, where Court Square is, and you find yourself (I know from having been in this trap many times) having to continue straight all the way over the Victory Memorial Bridge to make a u-turn on the east side and double back.    As a driver and a pedestrian, it's possibly my most dreaded place to navigate in town (well, other than Cool Springs).   

Yes, Jas. Rbtsn. Pkwy, PERIOD, was IMO one of the most ill-conceived roadways in that district.  It was built during my early childhood, and while it might have been planned for complementary beautification of Capitol Hill (along with an aggressive urban renewal initiative) and as a connector for linking Main Street to Eighth Ave. and beyond, overriding the existing grid system, nevertheless it is very challenging for "natives", let alone tourists, to be navigated with a clear intent in mind.

Eastbound drivers certainly have no choice except to cross the Victory Mem. Bridge and U-turn (w/o being caught), once they past the point of no-return at Third Ave.  Until the Criminal Justice Center was opened, eastbound motorists used to be able to turn left onto Second Ave, and head north, but unless drivers know and think about turning right on Third (south toward Deaderick or Union), they are forced to trek across the river to East Nashv'l and double back, UNLESS they get wise as I have done and turn right into the surface parking lot entrance just before the bridge, a turn which permits drivers to circle around a short drive and to exit without having to commit to paid parking (it also provides a traffic light assistance to allow re-entry (east or west) onto JRP.

And crossing by foot just downright suX at the primary ped X-ings, where JRB and fourth splits (between Pkwy Twrs and the Muni Auditorium, and at that Third Ave.-Charlotte spur, as you called it. The X-ing at JRB and 4th is probably the most stupid, non-ped friendly set-up that exists downtown, as the walk lights do not permit crossing beyond the median during any timing cycle.  You have to just wing it.

Don't even mention the bus snafu compounded with the bi-directional conversion of Fifth Ave.  It is well recognized that the roadways and intersections in the very spot you describe comprise the most dangerous chicanery and game of "Dodgem" for pedestrians in the CBD, as far as fatalities are concerned. (1 bus on top 1 pedestrian every 3 years or so, just outside MCCentral).

Forgive me for digressing from the subject of food options on the north side of downtown, but all these factors ─ food choices, transportation flows, multi-modal accessibility and safety (especially by foot), and relative proximity among businesses and customer bases ─ come to play and are not mutually exclusive.  Notwithstanding the large footprints of displacement of the state office buildings along Charlotte and JRP, the municipal property on the north of JRP (except the Ben West Bldg) primarily has been amassed from reclaimed private properties, gradually disappearing during the previous 55 years.  I do hope that the development trends in the N. Capitol - Sulphur Dell district (former produce handling, stock yard, Nashv'l Gas Co, and other industrial), during next 2 decades can presage a change and reverse the flow of the "creek", so to speak, for both the north of Union and N. Capitol, which currently is a mere tundra in the heart of activity centers.

Right now in the CBD activity has become disproportionately lop-sided in deference to Second Ave, E. Broad, and E. Demonbreun.  Jas. Rbtsn. Pkwy, in its own right, has become more of an impediment to attracting development (hence food and pub choices), long after the nearby railroad R.o.W. had been built at least some 70 years earlier, and to me, it has far outlived its usefulness as a thoroughfare.  I have not heard of or seen any transportation or surface urban long-range proposals to address the shortcomings of JRP (probably because the city sees nothing wrong with it).

But my rant perhaps would be more appropriate for the N. Capital/Germantown/Salemtown/MetroCntr sub-forum, although the subject does touch on the relevancy to the CBD, in the wake of the results of decisions made over a half century ago (same as for anywhere else, I guess).

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 2

UNLESS they get wise as I have done and turn right into the surface parking lot entrance just before the bridge, a turn which permits drivers to circle around a short drive and to exit without having to commit to paid parking (it also provides a traffic light assistance to allow re-entry (east or west) onto JRP.

Thanks for the tip.     I'll have to remember that!

Yep. The same people who run The Southern and Acme Feed & Seed are opening a deli/butcher shop/event space. 

An event space too?  Nothing like being able to pick up a lamb shank for dinner while you attend your friend's wedding reception! 

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3

I noticed today that Trail West is moving two doors down to the light brown brick building. So the old Trail West location may start soon. On a similar note the building that sits between the old and new TrailWest has a big sold sign on it. I think, but not sure the group that bought the Richards & Richards building bought that building as well and it will be part of the hotel planned there. Someone help me out if this is not correct. Too much happening to keep track of in my head.

Another story on the restoration of the building near Marathon Village.  With a video and a nice history:  http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2014/12/01/mike-wolfe-american-pickers-historic-restoration/19733923/

I am very happy to have Mike Wolfe in Nashville. A true preservationist. I wish more people had his passion.

• Like 2

This is behind the paywall at the Post, but these are the three I found last week or week before. Can’t remember anymore.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2014/12/4/salemtown_slated_for_three_residential_projects

One is a 20 unit on the last remaining corner of 6th & Garfield
LVob8Ol.png
One is an 8 unit on corner of 4th & Garfield
No plan for that one but 6 will front Garfield and two on Fourth

The last is a 7 unit project next to that at 1614 & 1616 4th Ave N.
Cw6cUf6.png

While out on my morning constitutional around the Capitol Mall, I heard the distinct sound of a pile driver coming from the apartment site across the street from the Sounds ballpark. It is not a sound you hear much, if at all, in Nashville. I suppose the bedrock is too deeply buried in this area and covered with soft, eroded debris which will not bear much loading, requiring piles to be pounded in the ground to resist the weight and keep the structure level.

Each morning I drive up Division from 12th Ave S.  Across the interstate on the left are several one story commercial buildings.  While driving by, it seems that those buildings are empty.  Does anyone know if those lots have been purchased by a developer?

Separately, I attended the GBID annual meeting last night on the top floor of the new Fairfield Inn on Division.  The view of downtown is fantastic.  The bar will open next week and serve small plates.  There's a meeting room with large windows facing downtown and an outdoor seating area which is rather well appointed.

• Like 1