Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Any news on the Cambria Hotel for the Goodyear site? I noticed they have started paving the lot where the credit union once stood and the Hume Fogg project is above ground now.

I don't think the Cambrian will happen anytime soon. The folks at Goodyear signe a three year lease in the fall and they were dumbfounded that there was going to be a hotel on that site. They would have to buy them out of their lease. I will even venture to say that the Cambrian may go somewhere else entirely.

The site now would almost be better suited for residential. I agree with you on this.  Maybe we can get some insight from skyscrapergeek.

My understanding is the parking revenue is about a third of what is was prior to the MCC opening their garage, lost the parking contract for Bridgestone which went to MCC. Not in the poor house but the cash cow is a little scrawny these days. 

I am excited to be a part of the Capitol District and to get involved where I can. 

Welcome. The Capitol District is a new designation for me.  Is this another realtor-driven re-branding effort (replacing Buena Vista) or is it meant to be an umbrella term for Buena Vista, Hope Gardens, Germantown, etc.?

• Like 1

With that in mind, they would have to re build the arena in another location because of ongoing commitments like the Predators. Now they could build in the First Baptist parking lot site, however they cannot use eminent domain on a church. They would have to buy it outright. Then after that is completed, they could expand the CC on the site where the Bridgestone currently sits.

The government still has to buy the land when you use eminent domain, the owner just has no choice on whether to sell (unless they prove that the offered price is unreasonable, the land isn't blighted, etc.).  A lot of folks think it means the government just takes the land.  We've already seen some SoBro landowners sue over the amount the city tried to force on them.

• Like 1

Welcome. The Capitol District is a new designation for me.  Is this another realtor-driven re-branding effort (replacing Buena Vista) or is it meant to be an umbrella term for Buena Vista, Hope Gardens, Germantown, etc.?

Capital district is an unofficial umbrella term that refers to the 4 neighborhoods north of the capital:  Germantown, Salemtown, Hope Gardens and HBV.  

• Like 1

Capital district is an unofficial umbrella term that refers to the 4 neighborhoods north of the capital:  Germantown, Salemtown, Hope Gardens and HBV.  

Hadn't really considered that "Capital" basically is a moniker for the aggregate of these neighborhoods; makes sense though.  Sounds much better than what they did in my old town of DC.

"Noma"

rebranding of the transitional residential district North of Massachussetts Ave. in NW DC Just north of Union Station.

-==-

The government still has to buy the land when you use eminent domain, the owner just has no choice on whether to sell (unless they prove that the offered price is unreasonable, the land isn't blighted, etc.).  A lot of folks think it means the government just takes the land.  We've already seen some SoBro landowners sue over the amount the city tried to force on them.

...and that in addition to what we were informed on Dec. 06, when you and I were at Provence. (recall?)

-==-

From my viewpoint, one light is standard white that should be green and one light is dark blue that should be red.  And the whole thing still seems inadequate in its execution.  :dunno:

Merry Christmas, though! At least we have some color so I shouldn't be so negative.

From my viewpoint, one light is standard white that should be green and one light is dark blue that should be red.  And the whole thing still seems inadequate in its execution.  :dunno:

Merry Christmas, though! At least we have some color so I shouldn't be so negative.

Haha at least they are trying. I was wondering when they were going to try something like this. For the longest time the spires were white and one little section near the tip was blue. You'd think someone keeps an eye on the lighting. I just looked at the skyline from the Adventure Science Center Cam and their appears to be purple on one side. Lol they are trying

The tips are white and on the other side, some parts were not green like on the front facing.  Some work to do, yes.  Wonder if they can pull off yellow when the NHL playoffs come to Nashville.

That would be cool to see. I don't understand why it's so difficult for them to get the lights right. I'm guessing the LED installation is done and the lights along the bridge at the top and base of the sloped glass roof will never be turned on again. I guess At&t thinks it'll wash out their logo or something. It's going to really be a hot mess if the USBank signs go up

I guess I'll get to see it in person next week when I come home for Christmas. I plan on taking a lot of pics of all the development and of course Batman at night lol.

Back before "LED" was well recognized as being anything beyond a tense of the verb "[to] lead", some of you's guys' parents were barely into this world, when the once "tall" Life & Casualty tower used to don color combinations of its neon "L&C" signs, to indicate the current or forecast local weather.  The signs used primarily reds and blues (and white) in simulated animation, achievable using arrays of tubes to comprise each of the three characters.  The tubes would light in sequence to create a "filling" effect.  Yes, it was totally cheeseball" compared to today's technology and standard practices, especially during holidays, but it indeed had been quite eye-catching from all the arterials leading into town from all directions.

The Back Bay district of Boston also used a similar effect in its older (and shorter) original John Hancock tower. at least until the mid-'70s.  Of course, once all these "towers" turned to dwarfs, trends had begin to change.

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1