Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

On 4/24/2024 at 9:11 PM, BnaBreaker said:

Agreed... but I still, and never will, understand the hype around Raising Cane's... who'd have thought that "lets sell exactly one thing, and make it one thing that every other restaurant on planet earth also sells... and let's make SURE that one thing is only a slightly above average version," would be a brilliant business plan?  

I call it the chicken version of In N Out. Difference is, for me, In N Out's burgers are only pretty good but they're the cheapest fast food burger you can get (at least here in California). I think Cane's chicken is truly delicious, by far the best fast food chicken imo.

• Like 1

So this begs the question, how much does Metro cave and at what costs are they willing to sacrifice for the convenience and whims of Lower Broadway and its crowd? I fully understand the desire to please the tourists, they bring in boat loads of revenue and fill those hotels. But is it all worth it at the expense of the residents and businesses not associated with the circus that it’s become. There has to be a middle ground, and frankly transportainment vehicles ( if we can actually call tractors etc that) shouldn’t be allowed on public roads. Yeah I know some of you fall under their spell , and think they are fun( which for some they may be) but that sort of thing needs to be controlled and contained. Not everyone has to deal with them , so others can have a good time. 

• Like 4

For sure it’s a combination of many factors, including the fact that this party district lies smack dab in the core of the city. Just imagine for a moment hypothetically if all these bars and Honky Tonks were part of a true entertainment district  on the property that is Opry Mills Mall, it would eliminate a lot of the issues because it would be its own private space not interfering with the day to day activities of the intercity. What it boils down to is that they are trying to merge a tourist amusement attraction into a major city core, and that doesn’t necessarily work out all that well. Even in Orlando the tourist attractions are 20-30 miles away, and Las Vegas that’s a lost cause it’s all one big tourist trap. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

True, yes that is something that should be . Even go as far as eliminating the cross streets and turn lower Broad into a pedestrian plaza permanently. But then there still is the Transpotainment factor, that would still need to be eliminated, for containment purposes. Takes  me back to my previous post, how far will this go and at who’s expense. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Transpotainment is definitely part of the problem, it's also all the one way streets, lights that are just terribly timed and lane management that were made 5,10,15 years ago and have never changed.

A prime example is 2nd Ave S and KVB. The majority of people are turning right onto KVB. There are 3 lanes and only one turns right. Not to mention that the light at KVB and 1st Ave S is not timed properly with the previous intersection. 

The whole system as it stands needs a common sense over haul on current traffic patterns. 

Spot on! Its almost like we have a funding plan up for a vote in November that would upgrade 600+ signals to allow this haha. 

The city cannot control the legality of the transpotainment vehicles on the road. That is a State decision unfortunately. But I agree we can be alot more strict about the permitting and enforcement of them within city limits. One operator has already been thrown in jail for his ignorance. I think signal improvements will go a long way and hopefully more transit can get a foothold, but ultimately we have made a bed and are lying in it. Removing one-way streets, creating more ROW equity will go a long way, but until alot different dominos fall, we are in a chokehold of sorts. Also, because we have built so much structured parking with one-way in/one-way out we have created our own log jams. We no longer have those minimums, but to get project financing we still need that parking.

I wonder what the comparison looks like when comparing the peak egress times from the 222 garage vs the Pinnacle garage. Pinnacle being one block closer to Broadway may also hurt them with not having a "relief valve" other than going to Broadway. 222 at least can loop to 1st Ave from both of their garage access points.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

For sure it’s a combination of many factors, including the fact that this party district lies smack dab in the core of the city. Just imagine for a moment hypothetically if all these bars and Honky Tonks were part of a true entertainment district  on the property that is Opry Mills Mall, it would eliminate a lot of the issues because it would be its own private space not interfering with the day to day activities of the intercity. What it boils down to is that they are trying to merge a tourist amusement attraction into a major city core, and that doesn’t necessarily work out all that well. Even in Orlando the tourist attractions are 20-30 miles away, and Las Vegas that’s a lost cause it’s all one big tourist trap. 

I agree. I absolutely do. Nashville should remove it's downtown entertainment options. Especially when other cities have entertainment districts downtown or are trying to create entertainment districts. This makes all kinds of sense.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

I think that the main reason that Broadway is what it is today is due to the fact that it's smack dab in the middle of Nashville's downtown. As soon as you move the tourist district that is mostly dedicated to drinking and partying to a place that is a substantial drive away from where the people are, it loses a ton of its appeal and convenience. I think that's something that people really like about it in comparison to those other destinations you mention too.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, henburg said:

I think that the main reason that Broadway is what it is today is due to the fact that it's smack dab in the middle of Nashville's downtown. As soon as you move the tourist district that is mostly dedicated to drinking and partying to a place that is a substantial drive away from where the people are, it loses a ton of its appeal and convenience. I think that's something that people really like about it in comparison to those other destinations you mention too.

And that’s my original question, to what point does that go to ? Does the whole general population have to bend over to cater to the people who find lower Broadway appealing and such a convenient spot? Yeah for those that find partying and drinking it’s great, but why do we all have to be inconvenienced just for the sake of making an appealing place for getting drunk? The morels of this world are getting ridiculous and hope for the future is fading fast.

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

Does the whole general population have to bend over to cater to the people who find lower Broadway appealing and such a convenient spot?

I mean being slightly inconvenienced by traffic is part of living in a city (especially one where people have voted against transit plans).

The traffic at Wedgewood and 8th Ave S is terrible all the time. Should the business there get some relief too? 

I'm hoping the citizens wise up and vote to pass this new plan so all of these changes can start happening.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

And that’s my original question, to what point does that go to ? Does the whole general population have to bend over to cater to the people who find lower Broadway appealing and such a convenient spot? Yeah for those that find partying and drinking it’s great, but why do we all have to be inconvenienced just for the sake of making an appealing place for getting drunk? The morels of this world are getting ridiculous and hope for the future is fading fast.

I work about as close to Broadway as one can and it certainly has its drawbacks, but it's not debilitating by any means and I see it as a part of being in the city. If it wasn't music and wooing, it could be car horns or any other sources of noise. If you don't work or live down there, I also think it's easy enough to avoid. 

Besides, I think we're already seeing some shifts in this area that address your concerns. The old CBD and SoBro area are trending toward almost entirely residential and hotel projects in the pipeline while Nashville Yards and other various Midtown developments in the pipeline seem to be bringing the bulk of Nashville's office to the western side of downtown. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1