Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

I hope not... it really should have tree planters and a covered culvert with sidewalk. Presumably, that would happen to protect the right of way for future expansion of Hermitage Avenue. Still, it ought to be trees and grassy buffer. 

This is where plain renders lead us astray, a landscaped swale there could look pretty good with the right plants and rocks.  A grassy ditch as in the render would be a big letdown though.  We won't know what it looks like until they build it.  It's also kind of hard to conjecture about the retail.  Is that porch on the corner restaurant seating?

Well, we've always joked that all some of our recent residential blocks need is a moat around them to go with the high blank walls, fences, rear entrances etc...well now we have one!  Ha...the design is actually quite attractive in my opinion, but yeah, I'm not getting the ditch thing at all.

The James Robertson is in fact about to be sold. Residents have to be out by April. The bad news is most of these folks are on fixed income and they will have to find affordable housing somewhere else. The building is on the register of historic places.

The sale is not final but a contract is in place.

The new owner will be Robert Keenan out of Franklin.

This is from the Post and is behind the paywall right now.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2014/12/19/historic_downtown_art_deco_building_to_be_sold

The article seems to indicate Mr. Keenan represents the selling owner group.

Is it really going to have a ditch along Hermitage with little bridges?     There's no existing ditch along that stretch.     

To reflect what was stated above, I think it would look really good and could add significantly to the facade if it's properly landscaped and planted.  Even if it obscured the view from the street, it could be made to draw the eye to the building and its tenants.

According to today's Tennessean Metro is considering relocation of the Davidson Criminal Justice Center at 448 2nd Avenue North (the jail just north of police station) that could create a prime redevelopment site on the northern edge of James Robertson Parkway near the river. Instead of massive remodeling to bring it up to standards, it might be easier to just relocate to a new facility for the 800 inmate capacity building. One possibility would be the to move to some land adjacent to the Metro Davidson County Detention Facility on Harding Place. Everything is being assessed by the mayor's finance committee and a proposal will be made by spring.

• Like 2

I am somewhat skeptical about this one for a number of reasons. For one thing, having the CJC downtown is convenient to the courts, not to mention the numerous bail bonding establishments. For another, moving all of this out to the Harding campus would create a hardship from a transit point of view. Finally, this would be a very, very large item to place on the Capital Improvements Budget just as the current Mayor and Council are about to leave office.

My prediction would be that whatever recommendations are made do not get acted upon in the current legislative session or in the next budget cycle.

• Like 1

Getahn Ward has an announcement about the sale of the Goodyear Tire site on 8th Ave S to a hotel operator http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2015/01/02/calif-investors-buys-downtown-nashville-site-hotel/21188209/  This would likely need to be a very nice version of the Choice Hotel brands to justify that kind of land cost.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1

Getahn Ward has an announcement about the sale of the Goodyear Tire site on 8th Ave S to a hotel operator http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2015/01/02/calif-investors-buys-downtown-nashville-site-hotel/21188209/  This would likely need to be a very nice version of the Choice Hotel brands to justify that kind of land cost.

They're stating that it will probably be a Cambria Suites...but even that seems a little "lower-scale" than what you would expect right there.  I'm guessing they could always make it a truly "upscale" version and charge more per room than normal?

It is about to change to 7. A new bill being introduced by. E Giimore.

It does not affect the DT midtown rears though from what I heard.

Correct.   This bill mainly moves the "quiet time" up from 6:00 AM start time to 7:00 AM start time.  Simple enough.  But the real catch seems to be the definition of "residential areas."  Now that there is additional residential building taking place Downtown and in Midtown, it appears that those residents are starting to want the noise restrictions to apply to their areas as well so that they can get some sleep at night.  And since the CBD and quite a bit of Midtown is located in District 19, CM Gilmore is bringing this bill forward. 

Out in the more residential parts of the county like East Nashville, we certainly have complaints about construction noise, but the larger complaints that I hear pertain to construction crews and equipment blocking the streets while working on the ever larger buildings going up on our 50x150 lots.

Edited by bwithers1

Those people will sure be upset when (due to the proposed new quiet hours) they are trying to leave their building for work in the morning at 7 or 8 and there are 25 ready mix trucks staged outside on their street.

I'm not saying they don't have a right to be annoyed with early morning work. I'm simply saying that some work happens early in the morning for very good reasons.

Those of us who build this country give up the chance to have our morning coffee with our families so that the rest of you can do it with as little hassle as possible. Construction noise is simply a fact of growth. If you don't like it, move to Detroit where the loud noises mostly happen in the evenings.

• Like 1

L&C Garage at 144 Fifth Ave. is under contract by Elmington Capital.  "“It’s an opportunity to acquire an income-producing property with strong future residual land value for a future office building, hotel or apartment."

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2015/01/02/elmington-capital-lc-garage-contract/21196303/

• Like 1

$320, 000 rehab permit pulled for 1003 Buchanan St.  Google Street View of Property:  https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1804019,-86.8036447,3a,75y,129.74h,78.06t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s465zeZ1lec2F0qpDDDaW_g!2e0

Seems like revitalization is inching forwards on the old Buchanan business district.  Work is also underway on rennovating the old grocery store space across from the Jones Paideia school.     

• Like 2

$320, 000 rehab permit pulled for 1003 Buchanan St.  Google Street View of Property:  https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1804019,-86.8036447,3a,75y,129.74h,78.06t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s465zeZ1lec2F0qpDDDaW_g!2e0

Seems like revitalization is inching forwards on the old Buchanan business district.  Work is also underway on rennovating the old grocery store space across from the Jones Paideia school.     

Great find, I also saw that a townhouse on Arthur you brought to the board has been framed up very quickly, looks to be good size units as well, maybe 2,400+ sq ft in each

Those people will sure be upset when (due to the proposed new quiet hours) they are trying to leave their building for work in the morning at 7 or 8 and there are 25 ready mix trucks staged outside on their street.

And would those trucks violate the noise limits in the proposed bill?  The bill doesn't ban all construction, just that in excess of the noise limit.  Like, you know jack hammering.

Out in the more residential parts of the county like East Nashville, we certainly have complaints about construction noise, but the larger complaints that I hear pertain to construction crews and equipment blocking the streets while working on the ever larger buildings going up on our 50x150 lots.

And not picking up their trash. And stealing other people's water. And blocking driveways (and sometimes even parking in them). And ignoring the permit process. Yes, most construction workers, like most other people, are decent folk, but a few bad apples can make the whole bushel look bad. 

I think it's the same person that is renovating the grocery. I really hope those projects go well. It seems pretty risky given that there has only been sprinkles of improved housing in that area.