Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Sitting in my office (in the AT&T building)  looking at the new Amphitheater going up on the old Thermal Plant site. That stage is huge. Will there be enough room for people to sit?

I guess I'll have to reserve judgment until it's finished, but yes the stage truly is massive and appears to be much too close to KVB.    Unless sound barrier walls are constructed, I can't see how KVB traffic noise, which is substantial, won't impact the audience experience.          

Snapped this photo today from the Shelby St bridge (looking at the back side of the amphitheater).

post-29449-0-59103000-1419191684_thumb.j 

Driving around getting gifts and noticed the City Lights lot was caution-taped off... Not sure it means anything after the height varience was denied but....

The yellow tape has been up for a few weeks.     Not sure what purpose it serves other than keeping Crema and Husk patrons from parking on the site, as if that were a problem.   

I guess I'll have to reserve judgment until it's finished, but yes the stage truly is massive and appears to be much too close to KVB.    Unless sound barrier walls are constructed, I can't see how KVB traffic noise, which is substantial, won't impact the audience experience.          

Snapped this photo today from the Shelby St bridge (looking at the back side of the amphitheater).

attachicon.gifamphitheater.JPG

That's what is hard to understand.  They build what looks like a world-class stage...but then limit the audience size.  Oh well...it's better than nothing...but "what coulda been..."

• Like 1

As for the seating area of the amphitheater, I am thinking the City wanted to leave enough room for the green/soccer field/football pitch to the north. However, from the aerial view in the renders, there appears to be more room for the amphitheater seating than it seems from the street.

NewAmphi4_zps5d8568fa.jpg

NewAmphi3_zps40bcb19a.jpg

^^ With an announced capacity of under 7000, it's small.  But...would they be able to pack in 10k+ for a rock crowd for someone like Halestorm or Avenged 7X?  Since many fans of certain genres of music stand the entire concert, I bet they could pack in more than 7k that way.

But...if this is designed strictly for the "wine and cheese" symphonic type crowd...then it's appropriate.

I wonder if they could close off Korean Veterans Blvd for a concert to allow more capacity

They've now decided they need to move the bridge.

jk. Your suggestion of closing KVB during certain shows is one that's occured to me. There's certainly precedent for it with Titans game road closures. It depends on what sort of barrier - sound or otherwise - may be there between KVB and the amphitheater site, although I'm not aware that any barrier is currently contemplated.

I wonder why they didn't consider flipping the design with the stage to the far north and then having the seating and viewing area...then have some kind of removable partition that separates the viewing area from the park (it would be closer to KVB)?  But...when a big artist is booked, they remove the partition and allow the park to be park of the viewing area.

attachicon.gifamphitheater.JPG

I agree as to the drawings not reflecting the scale and proximity to KVB. It is what it is though. KVB doesn't seem to have that much traffic that I can tell. Maybe when SoBro and Bridgestone start unloading in the afternoon, things will change.

I agree as to the drawings not reflecting the scale and proximity to KVB. It is what it is though. KVB doesn't seem to have that much traffic that I can tell. Maybe when SoBro and Bridgestone start unloading in the afternoon, things will change.

Given how much I'm sure people will eventually pay for tickets to a show there, and how much effort organizers already put towards keeping passers-by from camping out on the sidewalks for a "free" seat in that venue, I would bet there will be a substantial wall/noise barrier placed around the perimeter of the seating area.

If Public Square Park can hold ~20,000 standing room people for Live On The Green, then I don't see how this amphitheater couldn't hold a similar amount with the same setup. The two areas are very similar in size. I think the size of the stage is throwing off the scale here--it's a sizable space.

If Public Square Park can hold ~20,000 standing room people for Live On The Green, then I don't see how this amphitheater couldn't hold a similar amount with the same setup. The two areas are very similar in size. I think the size of the stage is throwing off the scale here--it's a sizable space.

That's what I meant by reserving judgment.   The "bowl" may feel much larger once you're there in it than it appears when viewing from the KVB perspective.      

That's what I'm hoping for.  They put well over 10k into that green space in front of the courthouse for rock shows in the summer.  I'm thinking the 7k figure given by the city is maybe the "safe" figure...but could maybe double that for standing room only.

I WILL say this...to go the other way.  Like the Ryman, they could make it a very special place to play where some big-time musicians come in to play and the tickets are really high-priced and hard to get.  Make it a little more "exclusive."  (of course...that would seem to go against the city using money for everyone.)

Edited by titanhog

First Mai and now Anthem.  Apparently Nashville can't support one upscale nightclub.  I mean it's not really my scene either but damn...not enough people interested to support one?

First Mai and now Anthem. Apparently Nashville can't support one upscale nightclub. I mean it's not really my scene either but damn...not enough people interested to support one?

Upscale just doesn't fit with that area of the city. I know it's just perception, but if I didn't know better I would be afraid I was going to get stabbed at any moment while standing outside. Not to mention the terrible parking...

In the heart of the Gulch, I would all but guarantee you that place would have thrived. Mai was pretty slick the few times I visited.

• Like 1

Is it really going to have a ditch along Hermitage with little bridges?     There's no existing ditch along that stretch.     

I hope not... it really should have tree planters and a covered culvert with sidewalk. Presumably, that would happen to protect the right of way for future expansion of Hermitage Avenue. Still, it ought to be trees and grassy buffer. 

Edited by MLBrumby