Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Interesting pictures on Mike Wolfe's (American Pickers) instagram of the restoration of the building that Rookzie recalls as a Bi-Rite on Jo Johnston & 14th.  Apparently also used to be a club, perhaps of the exotic variety, judging by the "hieroglyphics" that were unearthed here.  

http://instagram.com/p/wEijilq_hZ/?modal=true

http://instagram.com/p/vzNIdCK_kY/?modal=true

http://instagram.com/p/votCoyK_n0/?modal=true

http://instagram.com/p/wFMM2fK_q5/?modal=true

http://instagram.com/p/wEiUFMK_vv/?modal=true

• Like 3

This is all I needed to see:

Today, the 0.2-acre site is a paved parking lot, located near the pedestrian bridge spanning the Cumberland River and just down the block from the Rock Bottom Restaurant and Brewery, which faces Lower Broadway.

Thank you, Jesus!

Edited by Vrtigo
  • Like 1

Interesting pictures on Mike Wolfe's (American Pickers) instagram of the restoration of the building that Rookzie recalls as a Bi-Rite on Jo Johnston & 14th.  Apparently also used to be a club, perhaps of the exotic variety, judging by the "hieroglyphics" that were unearthed here.

Thanks for the pics.  Normally that structure would have been torn down in a heart-beat, a l-o-n-g time ago.  It matches the style of the old buildings typically found along Jo Johnston and the low-teen numbered streets, when they still were hoppin' with activity during the early-mid '60s but nearly entirely wiped out starting in the early '70s.  Most of that sphere of action had been concentrated around 11th and 12th, between Charlotte and Jo Johnston, long before Charlotte Ave. became widened to multi-lanes and the current RR underpass had been built.  All the businesses were family-owned and many were what would be considered just downright seedy, with the advent of the interstate (I know first-hand).  A favorite BBQ joint (Maxwell's), used to draw customers from ALL over town.  It had been located on 12th, right smack in the middle of what now is the I-40/65 trunk, and one could look straight south up 12th from Jo Johnston and get a direct, head-on view of the NES beaux-arts-revival, limestone dome (back when State and Patterson Streets ran unbroken from the rr gulch).  Back then people were all out and about the streets, though, without much concern with being accosted, and passenger trains could be observed from 14th/16th and Jo Johnston, and passing about every 3 or 4 hours, back during the early '60s.  In general, the area circumscribed by the railroad, starting at Charlotte, curving northward, and to the west at about 16th Ave. had still been rather lively with illuminated signs and pedestrians, some 50 years ago (during the early part of the Viet Nam War).

This subject building that Bezoar has brought to discussion has become probably (one of) the very last remaining of its size and type within that area.  During around 2003 or so, we lost a second but more modest old brick structure on the west side of 12th, two doors north of Jo Johnston.  It had been a liquor lounge when it was last occupied, and one night, in the absence of any inclement weather, part of the roof had collapsed.  The unit was condemned and razed, two weeks later, leaving the only business along that block of 12th as a former gas station turned into a used funeral hurst and station-wagon sales.  Then more recently (about 4 or 5 years ago maybe?), Gunter and Sons' Funeral home, a brick Victorian on the Jo Johnston 1700 block across from former Pearl High School (MLK Magnet), burned to the point of total loss.  Because that area consisted of a hodgepodge of structures from different decades, perhaps the only remaining few for which renovation and restoration have been undertaken have been chosen because of their vintage and style.

As one can see, those few would be on a critically-endangered list, even if not officially.  One almost can be assured that, where there now is an empty lot, once stood a nearly 100-year-old structure, and unfortunately most of those (in an economically depressed district) had been allowed to fall into such a state of disrepair, such that they had been rendered unsafe and were forced to be leveled by the city.

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 3

The Perch coming to downtown Nashville

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2014/12/01/perch-coming-downtown-nashville/19743081/

Glad this building is getting some life. This restaurant should do really well with the Courthouse and justice center workers and events at the Municipal. However, if they are banking on LP field and Sounds business, I think they are in for a rude awakening. The majority of sports fans do not want coffee, omelets, crepes, and fresh fruit. They want greasy food and beer. I expect most football fans eat and drink near Broadway and most Sounds fans will more than likely stay around Germantown/farmers market area.

And seriously that rendering....really?

From the article:

Adams expects The Perch Downtownto benefit from the Court Square Building's proximity to both the new Nashville Sounds ballpark and LP Field.

B9315328167Z.1_20141201162455_000_G1C99O

• Like 1

Basically just echoing everyone else here, but I LOVE the use of the small parking lot downtown.  We need much more of that kind of development!

I also HATE that City Lights was denied the variance.  Don't ya just love it...we finally get a visibly striking tower that would eat up a vacant lot and the city says 'NO WAY' because it apparently doesn't match with the seven historic homes in the neighborhood...but propose a mundane and/or downright ugly residential building that doesn't address the street and does nothing for the surrounding neighborhood and would require the demolition of seven historic homes in the neighborhood and the city says 'HOW FAST CAN YOU BUILD IT?'  I'm truly at a loss here.  :shok:

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 4

The Perch coming to downtown Nashville

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2014/12/01/perch-coming-downtown-nashville/19743081/

Glad this building is getting some life. This restaurant should do really well with the Courthouse and justice center workers and events at the Municipal. However, if they are banking on LP field and Sounds business, I think they are in for a rude awakening. The majority of sports fans do not want coffee, omelets, crepes, and fresh fruit. They want greasy food and beer. I expect most football fans eat and drink near Broadway and most Sounds fans will more than likely stay around Germantown/farmers market area.

And seriously that rendering....really?

From the article:

Adams expects The Perch Downtownto benefit from the Court Square Building's proximity to both the new Nashville Sounds ballpark and LP Field

Good to hear.  Badly needed as a "drop in the bucket", so to speak.  In general there exists a food "desert" on the north side of Union St. in the immediate CBD, with very few choices as yet.  Big buildings built of the '70s "brutalist" style of architecture (UBS, Doubletree-BoA, the Polk-TPAC, and the Public Parking garage) along Deaderick and the north side of Union, certainly have not helped (despite the Quizno's in the UBS  bldg, and the Dunkin Dognuts in MCCentral, which I really don't count).

-==-

• Like 1

The city didn't disapprove this. MDHA was the disapproving agency which is a quasi city government organization. It looks like they can go in front of the BZA to appeal. I suspect they could also go in front of Planning and get an SP that would allow it.

If you feel strongly about this then I would highly recommend letting to BZA know (if the developers appeal) that you support the variance. I have continually been surprised at how much informed, passionate citizens can do when motivated.

Good to hear.  Badly needed as a "drop in the bucket", so to speak.  In general there exists a food "desert" on the north side of Union St. in the immediate CBD, with very few choices as yet.  Big buildings built of the '70s "brutalist" style of architecture (UBS, Doubletree-BoA, the Polk-TPAC, and the Public Parking garage) along Deaderick and the north side of Union, certainly have not helped (despite the Quizno's in the UBS  bldg, and the Dunkin Dognuts in MCCentral, which I really don't count).

-==-

I had heard at one time this building was coming down. Glad to hear they are going to do something with it.