Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Has anyone checked out that new liquor shop next to Hops and Crafts? I stepped in a few weeks ago but they were just stocking the shelves still. Seems like it could be a good place to get interesting stuff when they get filled out.

Dropped in while getting a growler filled next door last night.  Seems like a nicely curated selection of wines (Better than Frugal's, despite the size)

Drove by the house that sold on 11/25 at 1023 Cheatham, appears that a developer bought the property and appears to be adding a 2nd story to the home.  

There's really starting to be a lot of projects happening in HBV.  Just noticed a construction permit in the reports this morning for a couple of town homes at 1418 10th ave N.  This is in addition to a few similar projects on 9th and Arthur that are happening.  I expect more of this as space runs out in Germantown and Salemtown.  

• Like 1

I saw that as well. I am good with things in this area ass long as the houses being torn down are junk and not gems. We need to see if there are any historic structures in the area. They may need a historical overlay there as well.

I just hope that the Elizabeth Park Senior Citizen Center ─ that old 19th-century looking rock building ─ is already tagged as such.  It appears to have been an old school house (older than the old Wharton School that got replaced around 1957, at 18th and Wheeless (recently named "Churchwell Museum Magnet").  The park center is an eye-catcher bldg. of rock (no, not the "school of rock") with stone buttressed walls, and a "gablet" (Dutch gable) hipped roof.  It occupies the wedge-shaped city block of Arthur, 11th, and Jane St., with a stone retaining wall separating the park grade level along 11th and along Jane St., where the wall masonry becomes integral with the building itself.  The masonry of the structure appears to be of a "random ashlar" pattern, making it yet more interesting. Even though it obviously has been modified somewhat, nevertheless it needs protection (IMO).  It used to spook me out back when I was a kid passing by.

I never know what that thing had been originally, so hopefully someone else from this forum knows exactly what this structure initially had been built as.  The large elevated window openings suggest that it might not have been a school after all (given the size and external layout of the structure), but rather some type of rec center or even an indoor pool, way-way back.  It even still has its coal-chute hatch left intact.

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1

Yes, I caught that last week.  I'm disappointed with some choices of color for this bridge, as I knew that it eventually would be following the renovation of the North-Nashville ped bridge over the same, but I had hoped for a similar appearance scheme.  Perhaps the choice for this bridge is supposed to be "contextual", but I believe that it could be make to look more upbeat without resorting to being outright "vibrant" (considering its purpose and location), and possibly distracting.  I used to drive on that part of I-40 back in '68, before that ped bridge got built, when I-40 from the east would end dead at a T-bone into University Street (at nearby University Court public housing).

-==-

At the present time, there are no Conservation Zoning Overlays or Historic Preservation Zoning districts in North Nashville other than Germantown and Salemtown.  Those districts are generated based on requests by property owners.  If the property owners in the area want an Overlay, they need to speak with their Council representatives and MHC staff.  I will say there there is a pretty tremendous waiting list for Conservation Overlays at the moment.

There may be a few individual buildings that have historic protection.  I'm not familiar with the Elizabeth Park Senior Citizen Center.  If it does not have historic zoning protection, it may likely be listed as Worthy of Conservation.  But that designation does not provide any protection.  See Music Row.

Yes, I caught that last week.  I'm disappointed with some choices of color for this bridge, as I knew that it eventually would be following the renovation of the North-Nashville ped bridge over the same, but I had hoped for a similar appearance scheme.  Perhaps the choice for this bridge is supposed to be "contextual", but I believe that it could be make to look more upbeat without resorting to being outright "vibrant" (considering its purpose and location), and possibly distracting.  I used to drive on that part of I-40 back in '68, before that ped bridge got built, when I-40 from the east would end dead at a T-bone into University Street (at nearby University Court public housing).

-==-

Did you see the Google Map version of the current structure?  That thing looks really scary.  I'd be afraid to cross it the way it looks in that image.

• Like 1

At the present time, there are no Conservation Zoning Overlays or Historic Preservation Zoning districts in North Nashville other than Germantown and Salemtown.  Those districts are generated based on requests by property owners.  If the property owners in the area want an Overlay, they need to speak with their Council representatives and MHC staff.  I will say there there is a pretty tremendous waiting list for Conservation Overlays at the moment.

There may be a few individual buildings that have historic protection.  I'm not familiar with the Elizabeth Park Senior Citizen Center.  If it does not have historic zoning protection, it may likely be listed as Worthy of Conservation.  But that designation does not provide any protection.  See Music Row.

Elizabeth Park Senior Citizen Center

nRZpZxZ.jpg

• Like 3

Drove by the house that sold on 11/25 at 1023 Cheatham, appears that a developer bought the property and appears to be adding a 2nd story to the home.  

MyyA1fS.jpg

It's not a developer. I think the person that purchased that house will live there, it just needs remodeling. I walked through that house this summer when it was first listed at about $220K. It was one of the cheapest renovations I've seen...new vinyl floors and laminate counter tops in the kitchen, there were different types of hardwood in each of the other rooms and the second floor was useless unless you were under 5 feet tall. I'm glad someone purchased it with a good vision.

I wish someone would do something with the three brick multi unit complexes that back up to that house on Monroe. One is listed on Zillow with a "Make me move" price of $185k.

• Like 1

There's really starting to be a lot of projects happening in HBV.  Just noticed a construction permit in the reports this morning for a couple of town homes at 1418 10th ave N.  This is in addition to a few similar projects on 9th and Arthur that are happening.  I expect more of this as space runs out in Germantown and Salemtown.  

I saw that 1418 10th ave N has already has concrete blocks laid for the foundation

I wonder what the impetus for sealing up the windows was.  Not the most welcoming looking senior center, is it?  

Now that I qualify to be able to "join" that place (and I have eligible for the last 8 years, I just found out), I might chance a tour of that thing, if I ever think about it whenever I happen to drive by that area.  There just might be some interesting vestiges, otherwise overlooked by most, even though in the interior very likely being updated to comply with codes for current occupancy and for the sake of expense, many if not most of any remaining details would have been removed or covered over.

At least Metro did decide to re-purpose the thing for social "benevolence", rather than to just tear down the thing as a disposable asset (not yet anyway)....

-==-

Edited by rookzie

My wife and I are currently closing on our first home. It is in Elizabeth Park. We will be living just a house away from the senior center and park. Great to be able to find a place to keep up with the neighborhoods. Anyone know if there is a neighborhood watch in place in Elizabeth Park?

Edited by agentemo1
  • Like 1

That lot on 1418 10th sold for $75k earlier this year and really set the price for a lot in HBV. I also heard that the brownish house on 9th between Buena Vista Place and the school playground went under contract and will be razed, and two new homes will go up on that lot.

Have any of the homes in Buena Vista Place been sold yet?

• Like 1